Web Hosting Company 123-reg Accidentally Deletes Hundreds of Websites

Monroe

Here we go again ...

Customers Furious As Web hosting Company 123-reg Accidentally Deletes Hundreds of Websites from the Internet

18 Apr 2016

By Jeff Parsons

The web hosting service 123-reg has deleted customers' websites after a clean-up error occurred over the weekend.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/customers-furious-web-hosting-company-7780626

A popular internet company is facing the wrath of its customers today after mistakenly deleting huge amounts of data over the weekend.

It accidentally knocked an unspecified number of VPS (virtual private servers) offline, meaning owners and visitors couldn't access their websites.

123-reg.com provides hosting services for websites and email accounts and has been working since Saturday morning to repair the damage.

In the first of seven updates posted on its support page , the company stated:

"This morning, our teams were made aware of issues affecting the performance of our VPS product. Our teams are continuing to investigate which has led to some customers experiencing denigrated service levels."

By the fourth update, things were getting a bit more serious:

"Our teams are continuing to work to restore affected VPS services back to normal throughout the evening and night, using both internal and external experts.
If you are currently offline and would like to restore from your own backup to save time we can set you up a new VPS image. Please let our support teams know."

As of Monday afternoon, the issue had still not been resolved.

We are currently working on restoring your VPS packages using data recovery tools. For more info see our status page https://t.co/37s8eWkhJ7
    — 123-reg (@123reg) April 18, 2016

Unsurprisingly, customers who rely on the service to host and maintain their websites and email accounts aren't pleased.

@123reg @TomParty they don't want you to know the severity of the situation, I'm hearing everyone's VPS was deleted, so we are taking days
    — Mark Drummond (@mark_drummond) April 18, 2016

Oh my 123-REG seems to have wiped a couple of friends VMs down the toilet, the internet tells me it was a "script", wow nice blame job #fail
    — Steve (@JustMeFrom66) April 18, 2016

Do not use @123reg for your hosting. They just accidentally deleted my two VPSs, losing all my customer's data. No apology, no compensation.
    — Phil Emerson (@philemerson) April 18, 2016

The company informed its customers with an email over the weekend to try and explain what happened.

"As part of a clean-up process on the 123-reg VPS platform, a script was run at 7am on 16.04.16. This script is run to show us the number of machines active against the master database.

"An error on the script showed 'zero-records' response from the database for some live VPS. For those customers, this created a 'failure' scenario - showing no VM's and effectively deleting what was on the host. As a result of our team's investigations, we can conclude that the issues faced having resulted in some data loss for some customers."

@ianhamilton_ @123reg this should hit the news. Just to make others aware . This will wreck my business & plenty of others I am sure
    — Its a Puzzle Thing (@itsapuzzlething) April 18, 2016

The company says it is working hard to try and reverse the error.

"Our teams have been working long into the night to restore as much as we possibly can. We have also invested in external consultants to recover, in the best way possible."

123-reg has about 800,000 customers in the UK and hasn't said how many were affected, although it claims it is a "small proportion".

Edited by monroe

8 minutes ago, submix8c said:

Hired that Italian dude, did they? (heh...)

Exactly the kind of generic (attempt at) humour on nationality I hoped to find not on MSFN.

For the record, the "Italian guy" submix8c is referring to is called Marco Marsala, and he is a rare example of stupidity (regardless of his country of origin):

Maybe they hired instead the (presumably american) guy who originally "accidentally 93 Mb of .rar files":
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-accidentally

jaclaz