Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

• 2 weeks later...

I must be doing something wrong...

Am running XP in a few virtual machines on a Windows 7 64bit host to handle some of software I need to run, and unfortunately it required connecting to the Net. The only reason I want to run MSE is the lack of nags...all of the other "free" anti-vir packages have become so annoying I want to stick a sledgehammer though the monitor.  ;)

On the one VM, MSE had, until the beginning of this month, performed flawlessly. My last update was on the 2nd, with defs created on the first. (I suspected it had something to do with installing the randomware patches MS released, but I didn't get those installed until the 14th, and MSE stopped updating on the 2nd.) When I attempt an update, MSE hangs on "Searching..." (sometimes repeating the thermometer from the beginning), then fails silently with "Your PC isn't using the latest updates..."

I tried to track through this thread (although I admit I was skipping around until I have the time to read all 19 pages); I pulled the passworded RAR, ran the 1.5, and received what you see in the partial screenshot I've included. The Net connection is working, and I've tried it with my usual VPN running as well as turning it off and running directly from the Verizon connection.

Can someone point me gently in the right direction for what I need to do to fix this?

Edit: Used 1.5 to download the complete definition, placed the .vdm/.dll files in the \Documents and Settings\...\Updates folder and *poof* - updated. Will seriously need to read this entire thread - there is a ton of good information here. Still, it would be nice if I could coerce MSE to update itself...

20170627_MSE_XP.jpg

Edited by CharlieSummers
Fix typos, add information.

When downloading the definition updater, there are the files "Readme first.txt" and "Info.txt", where the call parameters are described in the latter.

MSE_DEF_UPD.exe	/aig             (To execute via the task manager)
                                 (as User "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM")

Create a Corresponding Task in the Task Manager, and the definition updater is run at regular intervals.

:)

11 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Create a Corresponding Task in the Task Manager, and the definition updater is run at regular intervals.

My concern was that the Definition Updater failed to update the definitions yesterday, I had to download and perform the update manually. Today I tested, and while MSE failed (again) to update, this time MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe downloaded and installed the delta (1.247.178.0_mpam-d.exe).

I ran the MSE_DefUpdater_TaskMan.exe to install everything, but I changed the task to run once in 24-hours...every hour seemed a bit excessive. Excellent job on the program, BTW, thank you!

Edited by CharlieSummers
Yet another typo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

(This is a generalized version of something I put together to help out a member here. Of course after having written it I found out that @heinoganda has already mentioned most of this earlier in this thread, but at least this is prettier :), so I'm still going to post it.)

So, you're looking for an older version of Microsoft Security Essentials in your local language (for example version 4.4.304, the last one officially supported on XP) and find out that the web is full of English versions, but it's very difficult to find an installer for the language you want. Fortunately, you can convert an English installer into any other supported language in just a few steps, using 7-zip and a text editor.

Any place you see Italian and IT-IT in this example, just replace them with your language from this list:

Spoiler
  • Bulgarian: BG-BG
  • Chinese (Simplified): ZH-CN
  • Chinese (Traditional): ZH-TW
  • Croatian: HR-HR
  • Czech: CS-CZ
  • Danish: DA-DK
  • Dutch: NL-NL
  • English: EN-US
  • Estonian: ET-EE
  • Finnish: FI-FI
  • French: FR-FR
  • German: DE-DE
  • Greek: EL-GR
  • Hungarian: HU-HU
  • Italian: IT-IT
  • Japanese: JA-JP
  • Korean: KO-KR
  • Latvian: LV-LV
  • Lithuanian: LT-LT
  • Norwegian (Bokmal): NB-NO
  • Polish: PL-PL
  • Portuguese (Brazil): PT-BR
  • Portuguese (Portugal): PT-PT
  • Romanian: RO-RO
  • Russian: RU-RU
  • Serbian (Latin): SR-LATN-CS
  • Slovak: SK-SK
  • Spanish: ES-ES
  • Swedish: SV-SE
  • Thai: TH-TH
  • Turkish: TR-TR
  • Ukrainian: UK-UA
  • Vietnamese: VI-VN
  • Download the "English" 4.4.304 installer, for example from https://web.archive.org/web/20140325144125if_/http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/ENUS/x86/MSEInstall.exe
  • Right-click MSEInstall.exe > 7-zip > Extract to "MSEInstall" (or wherever you like).
  • Open the folder you extracted it to.
  • Open setup.ini in a text editor, change Market=EN-US into Market=IT-IT.
  • Copy the folder EN-US, paste the copy into the same folder (top folder, not EN-US), rename the copy to IT-IT.
  • (Optional) If you also want to change the installation dialogs from English to Italian:
    • Go into the x86 subfolder, open epp.msi in 7-zip.
    • Right-click product.cab > Open Inside.
    • Locate SetupResDllMui_IT_IT, extract it to the IT-IT folder you created before.
    • Delete the existing setupres.dll.mui, rename SetupResDllMui_IT_IT to setupres.dll.mui .
    • (If you absolutely need an Italian EULA as well, download the latest version of the Italian installer and extract  EULA.RTF from its IT-IT folder into your IT-IT folder. Judging by the English EULA, the contents differ slightly between versions, but who really cares about the EULA anyway, right? :))
  • To install MSE, execute epplauncher.exe.
  • (If you want to re-pack your results into a single executable installer, search for sfx in 7-zip help.)

Of course none of this would even be necessary if only Microsoft could be bothered to make proper unified installers that automatically launch in the OS language (or, even better, allow selecting the language at program startup). I mean, why not just do this if you have all 33 languages packed into the installer anyway?...:rolleyes:

Hey ^_^

I'm new, and don't really have time to read the entire thread. I did a clean installation of Windows XP about two hours ago, and am just wondering, what do I basically need to know to get MSE up and running on XP SP3? IE8 and New Moon XP is installed. Thank you.

--pinkmoon89

2 hours ago, pinkmoon89 said:

I'm new, and don't really have time to read the entire thread.

Wow. Just...wow.

All of the information is here; I can tell you reading over this thread had me up-and-running in no time at all. And folks here are excellent at helping with specific questions should you have problems.

So spend ten minutes and skim through the thread (hint: skim the thread backwards to save some time - had you bothered to read the post directly above yours, you'd know which version of MSE's installer to download, and a link to where to get it!); you will get a whole lot of excellent information from some very knowledgeable people.

If you don't have time to expend that tiny bit of effort and make an attempt on your own, well, dunno what to tell you.

Edited by CharlieSummers

Sorry... I think it was quite late at night I made that post (around early 9pm UTC). Wasn't thinking and didn't really have any time to read 19 pages. I'll take a look later, though I mainly wanted just a brief overview rather than a full-blown tutorial (I could likely get things sorted myself, if I wasn't confused as to what version was the last for XP, I've seen people saying 4.8 works on XP here, while the last official one was 4.4.304) :(

Official versions of MSE after 4.4.304 don't work under XP.

There exist a modded version of MSE based on v.4.8.204 that works under XP. The only limitation is that Widows Security Center don't recognize that it is working and issue warning. The warning may be disabled easily but then you don't receive any further MSC warnings if something vents wrong with your MSE.

I use v.4.8 on one of my PCs without any issues, but i don't know which benefits it has comparing to v.4.4. If you interested in the modded version, try to contact its author, http://www.msfn.org/board/profile/402904-heinoganda/

Edited by Yellow Horror

Thanks for the support. I already know how to turn off notifications for Security Centre, and I don't really care if there is an issue. Does it auto-update okay or does it require manual intervention in order to update the virus definitions? I didn't see it mentioned in any of the posts I managed to read last night.