Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

it may be the case that if you just throw enough silicon at it, the problem with MSE is too small for folks to even notice.

That's exactly what I was thinking Mathwiz: your "problem" might be someone else's "protection."  Microsoft's definition and engine updates are of course intended for Windows 7 systems. Thank you for indulging my curiosity regarding MSE's CPU usage with Basilisk 55 and Slimjet 10. It seems that MSE supports practically any browser nowadays. (Well you still haven't mentioned IE, but I would be very surprised if MSE's CPU usage doesn't spike with IE open.)

Well, this is MSE version 4.4, the last intended for XP; but the definition files have certainly been expanding even if MSE itself hasn't been updated. I suspect MSE scans pretty much any process that does certain things (like accessing the Internet), whether or not it specifically recognizes the process as a browser. Regarding IE8, it doesn't spike if I just open it, but that's because my home page is on my local machine. If I try to access, say, Microsoft Update, it spikes just like the other browsers.

The definition files have probably just gotten so big that browsing on an older (or a virtual) machine just isn't feasible anymore, unless you exclude the browser process from MSE and use something like MBAE instead.

If at first you don't succeed, try more silicon ;)

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2018 at 1:19 AM, MaterSystem said:

Thus far.. this link is still working and reporting as up-to-date on my system  - using 0mpam-fe.exe (from the link above), it updated with the green indicator -  PC Status: Protected.

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0

Engine Version: 1.1.15200.1
Antivirus definition: 1.275.932.0
Antispyware definition: 1.275.932.

When clicking update directly within the program itself, it reads..

Virus and spyware definitions: Connection failed

The virus and spyware definitions didn't update on 08/09/2018, 12:04 AM because of an Internet or network connectivity problem.

I've just done it. Now I have:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0

Engine Version: 1.1.15200.1
Antivirus definition: 1.275.943.0
Antispyware definition: 1.275.943.0

Definitions Created on: 09/08/2018 at 5:43 AM
It must've been some temporary quirk, nothing  more.

1. For Winows XP there are no regular updates for MSE at Microsoft Update, except the POSReady key is entered in the registry (see here).
2. Is there an updater for MSE for download and update the definition (see here).
3. If the first two options are unwanted, the following registry entry for MSE may be changed, where updating under MSE Update will be limited again.
    (Attention, it should only make users who are familiar with permissions!)

from

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates]
"FallbackOrder"="MicrosoftUpdateServer|MMPC"

to

"FallbackOrder"="MMPC"

:)

Edited by heinoganda

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2016 at 5:02 PM, heinoganda said:

Microsoft Security Essentials Updater for download and update the definition.
(for Windows XP x86/x64, Functionality not tested on other versions of Windows!)

Download:
here

Password:

P&n"y9j5V23Khb1%vA7vM9CreU3BYzI429TD$h6K§

Update V1.5 on 04/01/2017

Reveal hidden contents

Various bugs corrected.

Update V1.3 on 07/11/2016

Reveal hidden contents

Various bugs corrected.

Update V1.2 on 05/14/2016

Reveal hidden contents

been added:

1. Option to reset the antivirus update engine of MSE. (only in Startmenu)

2. If the option is Only Download in usage, are at the option "update the virus definition for MSE",
   simultaneously updates the definition for Only Download.

3. Optimised installation of the MSE-Definition.

debugging:

1. When comparing the existing and new version of the MSE-Definition
   despite recent updates was the message "No update aviable!" displayed.

2. By Only download the time is shortened considerably to determine the version.

Update V1.1 on 05/02/2016

Reveal hidden contents

been added:

1. optimized HTTP request so that only needed virus-definition is loaded. Delta update of the virus-definition now available.
   (Thereby the time intervals between the download requests can be considerably shortened.)

2. Displays the version of the antivirus definition, spyware definition and engine, as well which updated.

3. Only Download MSE-Definition definition file is possible.
   (mpam-fe.exe and mpam-d.exe, interesting if on an installation of MSE first no Internet is desired)

4. Process flow of the two concurrent batch files optimized.

5. Less CPU load, PING commands for Pause replaced by sleep.exe.

6. The program can also be run in unpacked (WinRAR or 7zip) form (MSEDEFUPD.bat),
   besides can still through various startup parameters, or in the file itself can be made settings.

How do i use it?

3 hours ago, someguy25 said:

How do i use it?

Just download and run it. There's no install, so you may put it anywhere and then create a shortcut to it on the desktop, for instance.

=============

BTW, when you install MSE, it stealthly turns on "Automatic Updates", so that, if you use to run with "Automatic Updates" disabled, you must disable them again...

5 hours ago, dencorso said:

Just download and run it. There's no install, so you may put it anywhere and then create a shortcut to it on the desktop, for instance.

=============

BTW, when you install MSE, it stealthly turns on "Automatic Updates", so that, if you use to run with "Automatic Updates" disabled, you must disable them again..

Oh,ok then thanks.Though im getting a dell latitude c640 laptop that has only 512mb of ram problably mse is the best for that laptop too :thumbup

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2018 at 12:07 PM, heinoganda said:

1. For Winows XP there are no regular updates for MSE at Microsoft Update, except the POSReady key is entered in the registry (see here).
2. Is there an updater for MSE for download and update the definition (see here).
3. If the first two options are unwanted, the following registry entry for MSE may be changed, where updating under MSE Update will be limited again.
    (Attention, it should only make users who are familiar with permissions!)

from

"FallbackOrder"="MicrosoftUpdateServer|MMPC"

to

"FallbackOrder"="MMPC"

Hello everyone.. Am I the only one having trouble again with MSE after the last POSReady updates? I noticed the reg key above went back to its default:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates] "FallbackOrder"="MicrosoftUpdateServer|MMPC"

...after I changed it to only MMPC - now using regedit won't let me edit the value anymore.

Is this link as posted by member MaterSystem still currently working to manually update it?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&clcid=0x409&arch=x86&eng=0.0.0.0&avdelta=0.0.0.0&asdelta=0.0.0.0&prod=EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by sal here

@sal here

Here is a helper where the entry in the registry changes (UPD_MMPC.bat) or back to the original entry (UPD_Default.bat).

Download:
here

Password:

n29TD$h"y9j5V23K6K§hb1%vA7vM9CrP&eU3BYzI4

Note:
To unpack completely for execution
Only of interest if no POSReady entry is used in the registry. The entry makes it possible (but only manually) to update the virus definition from the MSE interface.

Edited by heinoganda