Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Of course, I have never used MSE in the regular case because I use Avast Antivirus. But I was looking for the users of MSE for opportunities to keep this up to date. Now it is the case that the current virus definitions for MSE need the engine v1.1.16000.6, which unfortunately does not work anymore under Windows XP. A simple measure to be able to update MSE again, I do not see. :no:
For me, the last working definition was v1.293.2807.0.

:)

According to MS, v.1.293.2807.0 (released on 6/3/2019 3:24:58 PM) actually is the last one of the 293 series.
The next one was already v.1.295.12.0 (released on 6/3/2019 9:08:21 PM), the 1st of the 295 series.

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions/antimalware-definition-release-notes
N.B.: One needs to select the desired version in the "Security Intelligence Update Version" box.

22 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Of course, I have never used MSE in the regular case because I use Avast Antivirus.

:)

1. Does Avast work with XP? And is it reasonable with resources consumed?

2. Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience with Panda Antivirus free?

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Engine version 1.1.16000.6 (file mpengine.dll) works OK under Vista SP2, too... ;)

It has a "Subsystem Version" = 6.0, which prevents its running on XP, but should allow it to run on Vista, unless there were some missing dependency.
It's good to know for a fact it does work. Vista users, then, are all set till Windows Embedded Industry 7 SP1 EoS, on October 12, 2021, at least! :thumbup

2 minutes ago, dencorso said:

but should allow it to run on Vista, unless there were some missing dependency.

The same file mpengine.dll is used inside mpam-fe.exe (MSE manual definition updater) and mpas-fe.exe (manual definition updater for Vista+Win7's iteration of WinDefender); while MSE itself is NOT officially supported under Vista, Vista's native WD (for some undisclosed reason) IS, as one can see by visiting: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

Microsoft Security Essentials 	                  32-bit | 64-bit
Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows Vista   32-bit | 64-bit

So if M$ decide on breaking mpengine.dll on Vista (make it only Win7 compatible), they will intentionally quit supporting Vista's WD antimalware solution; but it's their prerogative, you know :(; Vista has been EoS for more than two years, Vista users are currently at M$'s mercy :angry: (and if one of you "XP-ers" decides to visit MSFN's thread pertaining to installing Windows Server 2008 SP2 updates on Vista, one will clearly see that things have started falling apart recently... :realmad:).

Files downloaded and installed, thanks again!

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions/antimalware-definition-release-notes

N.B.: One needs to select the desired version in the "Security Intelligence Update Version" box.

You can select and browse only delta updates for the current version there, there is no possibility to manually enter and see any older version.

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

It has a "Subsystem Version" = 6.0, which prevents its running on XP, but should allow it to run on Vista, unless there were some missing dependency.

In many cases there are no missing dependencies and you can change Subsystem version using editbin or other tool, but in this case the file must have valid digital signature.

22 hours ago, antiproton said:

That is how I have been doing it all along, no disrespect to heinoganda. I have been extracting the files from mpam-fe.exe with WinRAR and copying the virus definition files and old engine 1.1.15800.1 to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Update

Watched from the Definition Updates folder, what usually happened was that after 20 or 30 seconds two new folders were created with long strings of numbers and letters as the folder names. When finished updating, one of the new folders disappeared and the other became the new folder for the active virus definition files. The previous day's active folder with a long name would disappear as well.

However today when I copied the definition file updates to the Update folder the two new folders were created but both disappeared  without updating the previous day's virus definition files. No changes were made.

I

18 hours ago, dencorso said:

:hello: Hi, Usher! Long time no see! Good to have you around!
Look, while I don't have either mpa*-fe.exe files, I do have the 2807 definitions (which should be enough for you).
I don't know whether those are the very last, but they're certainly quite near it. Here you go:

mpxxx_vdm.1_293_2807.0.7z 137.29 MB · 4 downloads

Well I got the file above which @dencorso supplied , stopped MSE, extracted the files to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates

restarted MSE and it seemed to update ,,,, (but it left behind the MpSigStub file)

now says MSE is upto date

I did try getting latest mpam-fe extract files and change SubSystem from 6.0 to 5.1 and same with others to 5.1, that didn't work

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.15800.1
Antivirus definition: 1.293.2807.0
Antispyware definition: 1.293.2807.0

@heinoganda does this make sense

I did the same on other PC without the MPStigSub and it updated and now got same as image below on both PC's

Wonder "IF" it is possible just to use the mpasbase.vdm , mpasdlta.vdm , mpavbase.vdm , mpavdlta.vdm

I did notice all these files are 5.2 , sure they used to be 5.1

and leave out MpStigStub & mpengine.dll

mse.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000

35 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

I did try getting latest mpam-fe extract files and change SubSystem from 6.0 to 5.1 and same with others to 5.1, that didn't work

(...)

Wonder "IF" it is possible just to use the mpasbase.vdm , mpasdlta.vdm , mpavbase.vdm , mpavdlta.vdm and leave out MpStigStub & mpengine.dll

You don't need to touch MpSigStub (as SIGnature Stub), it's pretty old. You must have both engine (dll) and malware signatures database (*.vdm) working in co-operation. You can do NOTHING if the old engine doesn't want to load a new database. Even if it's only version check, you can't change a byte in any file because they are digitally signed with certificate.

Would you trust any antimalware program which allows to replace its own files with files possibly cracked by malware?

7 hours ago, Usher said:

You can select and browse only delta updates for the current version there, there is no possibility to manually enter and see any older version.

True. That's because they show just a handful of the lates ones... At the time I posted, one still could see:

Clipboard01.png

seems it didn't work althou MSE did say i was upto date, on a reboot of PC system, MSE now says Virus and definitions last updated 2 days ago

despite it originally saying upto date

as someone said looks like MSE on XP is now numbered and M$ is delibrately trying to derail use of XP

I would off hoped there was/maybe a work around

image now say virus and definitions created 2 days ago

mse.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000

@dencorso yep I agree, really stubborn here to move on will keep using XP till no longer can do, but as it is, it still serves me

It took me me almost 3 years to move from 98SE to XP, but that was only because I HAD too

"IF" I have to move most will be 7 or 8 not keen on 10 after a play with one and the constant f'ups M$ do to it

23 hours ago, dencorso said:

True. That's because they show just a handful of the latest ones...

Yes, you're right. I did check. They display only 20 latest updates.

20 hours ago, dencorso said:

Game Over.

Game will be over when they remove files from Windows Update.

24 minutes ago, Usher said:

Yes, you're right. I did check. They display only 20 latest updates.

Game will be over when they remove files from Windows Update.

Even for XP?? Isn't game over for XP users at this very moment, or is there still a way to update MSE?

The end of being able to use one (arguably not very good anyway) Microsoft Security program is hardy the end of the world when so many alternatives still exist!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment