Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

I thought there was a problem removing the POSReady key once it was there, the system wouldn't let you do it while it was running so you had to access the registry from elsewhere without XP running to be able to delete it.
:dubbio:

@Dave-H

If the POSReady key is created in the registry and no reboot is done, it can be easily uninstalled. After the restart, this is no longer possible and you need a bootable disk with which you get access to the registry of Windows XP (I use ERD Commander or the Kaspersky Rescue Disk v10).

:yes:

Edited by heinoganda

I just tried running my netbook XP installation for the first time in several days, and left it for a while before running the MSE updater.
When I looked just before running it, still loads of new error messages in the Windows logs, so MSE is obviously still trying to update itself, and failing.
If I had run the updater as soon as I booted into XP would these errors not have happened?
If so I will try setting up a scheduled task to run it automatically on boot.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

@Dave-H

As I wrote in a previous comment,

On 5/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, heinoganda said:

No manual update of MSE may be performed. No definition update for MU in IE if it is offered. No AU. I have not found more options at the moment if the POSReady entry is present in the registry. Currently, the most effective solution is to delete the POSReady key in the registry.

as long as the POSReady key is present in the registry and therefore updates for MSE via the Windows Update Agent are possible, the situation will not change (MSE reprogramming and the function of the update over the Windows Update Agent remove?). Also an update directly after the start of Windows XP will bring you nothing, since MS meanwhile makes newer difference updates for the definition of MSE first over MU (Windows Update Agent) available and with a delay only with the Downloadlink (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&clcid=0x409&arch=x86&eng=%EngineVersion%&avdelta=%AVSignatureVersion%&asdelta=%ASSignatureVersion%&prod=%ProductID%) is available. Since the engine can no longer be updated, the Windows Update Agent (if the POSReady key is present in the registry) will always find a more up-to-date engine!

On 5/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, heinoganda said:

If the POSReady key is created in the registry and no reboot is done, it can be easily uninstalled. After the restart, this is no longer possible and you need a bootable disk with which you get access to the registry of Windows XP (I use ERD Commander or the Kaspersky Rescue Disk v10).

Unfortunately, I can not offer you a better solution. :no:

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Thanks @heinoganda, understood.
I guess I can remove the POSReady key, as there is probably no point in it being there any more anyway, but what i will look into is perhaps just suppressing those messages in the logs so they're not recorded any more.
I did that on my Windows 10 installation to stop the annoying error messages that were being written to the log on every boot, which have plagued Windows 10 for ages, and Microsoft says to ignore! I'm not sure if you can do it in Windows XP, but I will look into it.
Cheers, Dave.
:lol:

Even when "Automatic Updates" is turned OFF in the Control Panel, which has been my selected setting since at least 2007, there is an eponymous sevice which is set to "Automatic" by default, which I've always kept untouched. I'm disabling it right now. It might solve the issue in an easily reversible way, IMO, being an alternative to removing the POSReady key. Let's see what happens... Cross your fingers!  :yes:

40 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Even when "Automatic Updates" is turned OFF in the Control Panel, which has been my selected setting since at least 2007, there is an eponymous sevice which is set to "Automatic" by default, which I've always kept untouched. I'm disabling it right now. It might solve the issue in an easily reversible way, IMO, being an alternative to removing the POSReady key.

Tasting is about studying. Then the Automatic Updates service should be set to Disabled for the startup type. I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hello!  I am having the same problem as described here regarding the manual updates no longer working for Microsoft Security Essentials as of May 2019.  How can I obtain access to v1.9 MSE Updater?  I appreciate your help!  Thank you!

On 5/25/2019 at 7:31 AM, dencorso said:

Even when "Automatic Updates" is turned OFF in the Control Panel, which has been my selected setting since at least 2007, there is an eponymous sevice which is set to "Automatic" by default, which I've always kept untouched. I'm disabling it right now. It might solve the issue in an easily reversible way, IMO, being an alternative to removing the POSReady key. Let's see what happens... Cross your fingers!  :yes:

No, while it sort of worked, it's useless: it just caused two 10005 DCOM errors, instead of and instalation WUA error 20  and the 2003 MSE error. And the 2001 MSE error continued to happen all the same. This is just an interim report, to kee y'all up to date. I'll now try to disable BITS, instead... But I doubt it'll work as intended, either. Yet, the only way to find out is by trying, so I'm going for it. See attached images for more info.

Clipboard2001.png

Clipboard2003.png

ClipboardX005.png

Clipboard01.png

I also tried to deactivate the service for automatic updates, but when MSE goes to the update search, the service is reactivated and after a long trial I had the self error image as yours (for testing I had entered the POSReady key in the registry). Now, even if the automatic update service is disabled by other means, there may be too many DCOM errors. If the POSReady key does not exist, the MSE update search will go to blank with no error message. Therefore, I have never noticed this extremely aggressive update search of MSE, if the alternative download options in MSE are removed.

Now I can only wish you more success!

So summing up, the correct work of MSE can only be gained by removing the registry POS hack and by running MSEU v1.9.

No problem accessing registry from an adjacent partition with other OS (vista/w7/8/10) but i'd like to ask if is it possibile to design some kind of script that you can just run in XP/Posready system and automatically, during rebooting, it removes the POS hack.    

Edited by Vistaboy