Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

12 hours ago, mo832 said:

I once again need the custom updater for new wget version 1.9 . I tried 1.9 on the good machine and it worked, tried the same file on the problem machine and it gave me the httpdl.exe error.  (already have the file I need in my PM)

On the 2nd of May 2019 I sent you a PN where a suitable variant of the MSE Definition Updater Version 1.9 is offered, have a look at our conversation! :yes:
By the way, at the moment you are the only user who needs this variant and this variant is made available after an update via PN.
(Since I do not want to overflow my mailbox, very outdated conversations sometimes have to be deleted)

:)

4 hours ago, XPUser2019 said:

How can the download be suppressed?

This is not planned in the program, especially since the program is designed so that even after an update with an offline definition ("MSE_DEFINITION_DOWNLOAD") another attempt at a download is started to ensure that no more current definition is available. If there is no newer definition in the folder "MSE_DEFINITION_DOWNLOAD" to the one installed in MSE, then you get the appropriate screen output if there is no internet connection (in your 6th image). If an update has been carried out, you will see the screen output (in your 4th image), which after the version is displayed "Updated". First and foremost, the MSE Definitions Updater is designed for an existing Internet connection.

Edited by heinoganda

Hello heinoganda,

Thank you for the information.

That's OK. I just wanted to know if there is a possibility to turn off the download for offline updates.
I can live the way it is now.

Thanks for the tool!

@XPUser2019

Actually, it should only be a "helper" so that MSE under Windows XP can be further updated. The fact is that by the last functioning engine (version 1.1.15800.1) once more an adaptation took place, so that the more recent virus definitions can still be installed. This means that an update of the engine (after version 1.1.15800.1) is no longer possible. The days or months are counted. :(

3 hours ago, heinoganda said:
  14 hours ago, mo832 said:

I once again need the custom updater for new wget version 1.9 . I tried 1.9 on the good machine and it worked, tried the same file on the problem machine and it gave me the httpdl.exe error.  (already have the file I need in my PM)

3 hours ago, heinoganda said:

On the 2nd of May 2019 I sent you a PN where a suitable variant of the MSE Definition Updater Version 1.9 is offered, have a look at our conversation! :yes:
By the way, at the moment you are the only user who needs this variant and this variant is made available after an update via PN.
(Since I do not want to overflow my mailbox, very outdated conversations sometimes have to be deleted)

Please note I did state that I already have the file (I referenced my PM earlier). ^^^ :):). Thank you!, I was more interested in my second question, which is why is there no variant which can adapt to any user, if you make the one that works for me (newer wget), why would it not work for everyone also? If another user installs the variant custom for me, would they get errors? There is no possible way to make a universal compatible .exe so that all of us can use the same one and no custom version is needed?

1 hour ago, mo832 said:

I was more interested in my second question, which is why is there no variant which can adapt to any user, if you make the one that works for me (newer wget), why would it not work for everyone also? If another user installs the variant custom for me, would they get errors?

Now a lot of different hardware variants are in use by the users, nice if the one variant works on both of your computers, but what about the other users? Do not have to make because of a user (you) again a huge effort. You ought to have read the following two sentences from one of my previous comments:

4 hours ago, heinoganda said:

This means that an update of the engine (after version 1.1.15800.1) is no longer possible. The days or months are counted. :(

Maybe this explanation is enough for you!

Signed up here principally just to thank heinoganda for his MSE Updater tool.

I'm using Window 7 Pro 64 with its XPMode 32bit running on a VM (Virtual Machine) and I installed MSE on that XP VM as an ideal fit for this sort of purpose.

Automatic definitions updates and manual updates via MSE stopped working in 2016 but I've been happy enough to download the MSE AV definitions update mpam-fe.exe on a weekly basis and install it that way. I've been doing that mostly without problem for three years.

But then this new install problem suddenly happened and over the last month I've had very little luck even finding out that it was a typically MS way of ending support for something. Not providing any particular warnings let alone reasons why it is going to happen. Just doing it and letting the user sort it out themselves. :(

I was pointed here by a helpful guy on another PC forum where I'd posted about the problem and I'm very grateful to them for doing that.

I can confirm that the v1.9 MSE Updater works on my system (as described). My MSE installation is now showing it is up to date with the latest definitions.

Thank you. 

Edited by WalksInSilence

On 4/18/2016 at 9:02 AM, heinoganda said:

Can someone please verify how I correctly use the password for the 1.9 utility download.

Can someone please verify how I correctly use the password for the 1.9 utility download.

Using 7zip I have cut & pasted everything from the full string to starting with inside the initial quote to the end.  Each gives me an error of incorrect password.

I get a long string starting "p&n" ending with $h6k Some strange character

Thanks much!

Edited by prsa01

It should be this -

P&n"y9j5V23Khb1%vA7vM9CreU3BYzI429TD$h6K§

The passwords have always worked for me by just copying and pasting them, so I don't know why this wouldn't work.
Your string starts with a lower case "p", which won't work as the passwords are case sensitive.
:dubbio:
Welcome to the forum BTW! :hello:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

On 4/18/2016 at 9:02 AM, heinoganda said:

Thank you, For some reason cut/paste wasn't working for me from the original post but did from your post.

Again, thanks

@heinoganda

I did a check today on Microsoft Update just on the off-chance that there might be something offered, and the only thing offered was a definition update for MSE.
I tried installing it and it failed of course, and when I looked in my update history there was a long list of similar update failures.
Also I'm still getting error messages in my Windows event logs all the time about failed updates and MPSampleSubmissions.
Sadly your previous fix seems to have only been temporary.
I noticed in the registry an entry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT ANTIMALWARE\SIGNATURE UPDATES called "ForceUpdateFromMU".
It was set to "1", I've tried setting it to "0".
Do you think that will help?
Basically I want it to stop checking for updates by the normal route.
I'm actually a bit surprised that MU is still offering definition update for MSE on XP at all!
:dubbio:

53 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I did a check today on Microsoft Update just on the off-chance that there might be something offered, and the only thing offered was a definition update for MSE.

You should not update any more about MU/AU Microsoft security essentials. Because of the errors in the Windows event log, the changed entry in the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates" at the entry "Fallbackfolder" causes the MSE itself can no longer update, which of course can lead to other error messages. In the settings of MSE I have as far as possible the phone direction MS disabled. My TestVM with MSE is not available at the moment, because I'm currently busy with my update rollup, so I'll look into it again later.

By the way:

Edited by heinoganda