Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Microsoft Security Essentials( MSE) for Winxp: No more updateS since quite a long time.

Only free solution: Clamwin. The addon-Software Clamsentinel i removed since too much false positive. one must adjust this. e.g.. irfanview plugins a lot of them were blocked!
So remove MSE and install Clamwin. At least true for Winxp SSE. What is working on Winxp SSE2 i cannot answer now since other PC must be setup again.

I used to use ClamWin. It wasn't bad; my only complaint was, it's only an on-demand scanner (like MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free). So you have to schedule a scan every day, and there's still a chance malware could get into your system and do a lot of damage before the scan caught it.

I think MSE is one of only a few free real-time AV products left for XP. That's why we're jumping through hoops trying to keep it alive.

1 hour ago, DrWho3000 said:

how long is it before MSE will complain IDE's are out of date before needing a update again

There have been occasional outages before, and IIRC it takes 3 days before the systray icon turns yellow. So you could update every other day and never see the yellow icon.

47 minutes ago, 3dreal said:

Microsoft Security Essentials( MSE) for Winxp: No more updateS since quite a long time.

:wacko: How so? What do you think this very thread is all about? So long as there are working virus definitions, the rest's just fireworks. :unsure:

Just to confirm what we already know, I noticed this in my Windows System event log from my earlier attempts to use the later engine file -

Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to load signatures and will attempt reverting back to a known-good set of signatures.
 	Signatures Attempted: Current
 	Error Code: 0x800700c1
 	Error description: Microsoft Antimalware is not a valid Win32 application. 
 	Signature version: 1.293.45.0;1.293.45.0
 	Engine version: 1.1.15900.4

And -

Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update the engine.
 	New Engine Version: 1.1.15900.4
 	Previous Engine Version: 1.1.15800.1
 	Engine Type: Antimalware
 	User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
 	Error Code: 0x8007007f
 	Error description: The specified procedure could not be found.

:yes:

Will publish a customized MSE Updater, but this means that the mpengine.dll would remain at the state of version 1.1.15800.1. A test with the Eicar test virus has been positive with the most recent virus definition. In how far this will affect more recent virus definitions in the future, I can not foresee. The fact is that in future vulnerabilities or functional extensions in the file mpengine.dll no update is possible. :dubbio: There are still some tests needed in the next few hours and if they go well I will publish the updated MSE Updater.

:)

On 4/16/2016 at 12:45 PM, ND22 said:

Then I got a serious problem here! On 3 different systems with XP and MSE 4.4 I got the same message!

I am going do download MBAM to do a complete scan!

Thank you anyway.

There is a workaround with hotfix for MBAM latest xp-version2.21. 1043. for SSE-winxp. . 2.18 and above related. i have the instructions. they are their forum.

I think a batch file like this will get me by for a few days:

@echo off
net stop MsMpSvc
echo Please ignore "At Risk" pop-up from Microsoft Security Essentials while the latest definitions are being installed
cd %TEMP%
if not exist mpam-fe.exe "%ProgramFiles%\HTTPSProxy\wget.exe" -O mpam-fe.exe http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/^?LinkID=121721^&clcid=0x409^&arch=x86^&eng=0.0.0.0^&avdelta=0.0.0.0^&asdelta=0.0.0.0^&prod=EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094
cd "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates"
"%ProgramFiles%\7-zip\7z.exe" x -y "%TEMP%\mpam-fe.exe" *.vdm
del "%TEMP%\mpam-fe.exe"
net start MsMpSvc

7-Zip and wget required. Note: this is specific to my system; you'll probably need to adjust some path names, depending on where 7-Zip and wget live on your own systems.

Good! Here's a slightly more generic version of it. As before 7-Zip and wget required and one'll probably need to adjust some path names, depending on where 7-Zip and wget live on your own systems. In my system wget.exe is on the environment PATH, so no explicit path is needed.

@echo off
pushd %temp%
if not exist mpam-fe.exe start /wait wget -O mpam-fe.exe http://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/x86/mpam-fe.exe
"%ProgramFiles%\7-zip\7z.exe" x -y "mpam-fe.exe" *.vdm
net stop MsMpSvc
move *.vdm "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates"
net start MsMpSvc
del mpam-fe.exe
popd

Notice please it's a .cmd, I don't remember whether pushd/popd work OK with .bat extension...