Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

11 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

I did what you said, I had 3 defs folder so copied the files to 2 off them, it didnt work then I got the folders were inaccessible, restarting exploer they disapppeared, only one there and it won't let me copy the files into folder,
I think I borked it

the files are deffo not in use

i might have to do a system restore to yesterday

mse111.JPG

Did you stop the M$ Antimalware service before copying the files?:P

Edited by someguy25

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

First I had to run services.msc and stop the M$ Antimalware service. (MSE complains when you do this, but you can ignore it). Then I copied:

mpasbase.vdm
mpasdlta.vdm
mpavbase.vdm
mpavdlta.vdm

... to the folder mentioned above, and finally restarted the service (MSE's complaint goes away and the icon turns green again).

Edit: I'm hoping that, if this process works, @heinoganda or someone can automate it. Then we'll be good at least until M$ shuts WU down forever.

I didn't copy mpinstall.dll from the update, even though it lives in the same folder; I was worried it'd be flagged for NT 6.1, or have unresolved dependencies.

I just completed a scan. It seemed to work, but didn't find anything. I guess for a true test, you'd need to put some piece of malware that MSE is known to recognize on your PC and then run a scan. :crazy:

I was almost joking earlier on when I said can't you just copy the necessary files across!
Perhaps that might be true, great if it is.
I have exactly those files sitting in my Windows 10 installation from the Windows 10 Windows Defender, so I guess they might work in MSE and will always be up to date!
:dubbio:

I did it a little different, tried something else
stopped antimalware then copied files to update folder instead, (which it let me do)
started antimalware again and it updated

its a work around, but at least it works for now, even if it is a bit a faffing about

mse333.JPG

mse222.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
edit

23 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

did it a little different, tried something else
stopped antimalware then copied files to update folder instead, (which it let me do)

its a work around, but at least it works for now, even if it is a bit a faffing about

I confirm it works:

1.) stop MS Antimalware Service ;

2.) put the 4 .vdm files in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates";

3.) restart MS Antimalware Service;

MSE updates and the "...\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates" becomes empty. Great work, folks! Y'all rock! :yes:

Please do notice I didn't add the new mpengine.dll to the "...\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates" folder, nor tried to replace the engine by any othe methods, because it seems to have an unsatisfied dependency on advapi32.dll. So it remains using the 1.1.15800.1 mpengine.dll...  I've just run a quick scan and it's behaving normally.

Clipboard01.png

37 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

I did it a little different, tried something else

Excellent! That's a better procedure too, because it also updates the "Definitions Last Updated" date.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

It looks like the mpengine.dll version has been updated too; I just haven't worked up the courage to try copying it over yet.

I tried copying the engine version from my Windows 10 installation, which is version 1.1.15900.4, to the MSE folder, and what happened was that when MSE restarted, it restored the original version, and the old definition files!
When I just replace the definition files it seems to be fine, so beware trying to update the engine version!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

It keeps the old definitions in a "backup" folder, I guess in case the update turns out to be corrupt.

I kinda figured the new engine wouldn't work. But I guess it's smart enough to restore the backups when it blows up.

(Of course, it'd be just like M$ to read this thread and decide to change the format of the definitions files, along with yet another incompatible mpengine.dll which would be required to read them. They seem to be doing everything in their power to kill off XP.)

Edited by Mathwiz

10 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Please do notice I didn't add the new mpengine.dll to the "...\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates" folder, nor tried to replace the engine by any othe methods, because it seems to have an unsatisfied dependency on advapi32.dll. So it remains using the 1.1.15800.1 mpengine.dll...  I've just run a quick scan and it's behaving normally.

4 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

so it seems it "just maybe" it's the engine that is causing problems

No. It's not just maybe. Here're some facts...

This is the ominous line in dependency walker:

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.

Notice it's an error, not a warning. Moreover, it appears for 1.1.15900.4, but not for 1.1.15800.1 or any other previous version of mpengine.dll (I've tested two more, but that should be enough, in this case). So, MS's attempt to kill XP through MSE lies on the mpengine.dll... That's good news! I count on @heinoganda kindly creating an automated updater, from these findings, as soon as he finds time for it, of course! :angel