Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

hey guys.

have any of you downloaded the mpam-fe.exe file this March 2019?  it seems to be about 90Mb (looks like MS "shrunk" the MSE definition exe file update lately)

wonder if this one will still work with MSE 4.4.304 on XP (when I had that, I usually did manual updates to the MSE definitions and never do automatic updates)

Edited by erpdude8

On 3/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, erpdude8 said:

wonder if this one will still work with MSE 4.4.304 on XP (when I had that, I usually did manual updates to the MSE definitions and never do automatic updates)

MSE 4.4.304.0 is still able to auto-update and to update from it's internal update tab. Both on XP SP3 and on 7 SP1 (yes, I still use 4.4.304.0 on 7 SP1, too, by choice). Then there is @heinoganda's MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5, which is available on another thread, in this selfsame subforum. The current MPAM-FE.EXE itself don't work anymore on XP, but the definitions inside it do, that's why @heinoganda has created the updater. As for Windows 7, I think the current MPAM-FE.EXE may still work for 4.4.304.0, but haven't ever had the need to actually try it. Also, although you did not actually ask about it, but MU/WU still do offer definition updates for 4.4.304.0, which, when accepted, intall correctly and work OK. 

• 1 month later...

It seems that Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP support has been dropped. Latest XP-compatible definitions

https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.291.2489.0/x86/mpam-fe.exe

Attention: Link will not live long, download ASAP if You need it.

40 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

It seems that Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP support has been dropped. Latest XP-compatible definitions

So even the 4.304.4 version won't work after this?  I was finding that on my folks system (especially when browsing) that the CPU fan went into high gear (same for my old Vista system).  comodo improved that.

For those who stayed on MSE, was it still slow?

4 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.291.2489.0/x86/mpam-fe.exe

I just downloaded this and ran it, and although apparently nothing happened visually, it did work.
I thought those files didn't work on XP any more? :dubbio:
Anyway, I guess that's the last one.
Microsoft Update offered a definition update, but always failed with error 0x800700F, which is something to do with failing a licence check.
MSE itself goes through the motions and then fails with an unspecified "network problem".
The definition being offered by MS Update was 1.293.20.0, which is later than the one I just installed, which is 1.291.2489.0.
I don't know which one is actually current (there seems to be a big gap between them!) but MSE seems happy at the moment that it's up to date.
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

It was anticipated that the end of MSE definitions would come. Have myself made some tests, but unsuccessful. Thus, MSE has definitely become unusable without the possibility of updating the definition or engine.

:no:

Edited by heinoganda

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The definition being offered by MS Update was 1.293.20.0, which is later than the one I just installed, which is 1.291.2489.0.
I don't know which one is actually current (there seems to be a big gap between them!) but MSE seems happy at the moment that it's up to date.

The latest definitions file is v. 1.293.20.0. There's nothing wrong with MSE v. 4.4.304.0, though: I have it installed also on 7 Ultimate SP1 x86 and, there, it does update to v. 1.293.20.0 and continues to work OK. I bet the issue is related to XP SP3 being unable to authenticate SHA-256 signed files. In case I'm right, full ability to authenticate SHA-256 signed files, which was not an issue till recently, now became a big one for XP (and maybe Vista, too?). Anyway, by comparing MSE v. 4.4.304.0's behavior on 7 SP1 and XP SP3 it may be found out what actually is going on. But that requires a kernel debugger in both, which I don't have set up...  :dubbio:

does anyone know If there is a problem with MSE updating, as it won't with me
I have rebooted both PC's and router and restarted MSe yet it finds downloads but trying to install fails, I even tried the MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5 and it fails, upto today it did it ok, i even tried doing a manual def update same

there is deffo a Internet connection no problem

is it M$ end

mse.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
update

@heinoganda's MSE Definitions Updater will download and extract the latest definitions, but they won't install.

I don't know how his program works, but I suspect installation makes use of Windows Update components that try to verify the signature, and that the installation fails there.

Well, @Bersaglio did say:

9 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

You don't have the very latest, but the last update you got is still pretty current. If we can figure out a workaround, you don't need to worry about missing just that one very last update. If we can't, it won't matter anyhow, because MSE will soon be useless without updates.

Silly question I'm sure, but the latest definition for Windows Defender on Windows 10 is 1.293.45.0.
I presume that can't be used in MSE?
I only very recently started using MSE on the XP side of my netbook because its original AV stopped supporting the last XP compatible version of its program.
I don't know much at all about how its updating system works, but surely it's not just a matter of copying files across to make MSE think it's got the latest version?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition