Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

30 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

This vulnerability was closed with the POSReady 2009 updates in March 2017 (KB4012598)!

:)

I do not have POSReady. Is there another way to patch my system? Or is there a way to get the update manually?

Just curious is it ok and safe to update the Msi / Windows Installer, I have version 3.01 on a XP Pro Sp3 PC to the version 4.5

I have applied the PosReady2009  registry hack, but see no updates come thru

• 2 weeks later...

A recent Security Essentials update was noticeably smaller than the previous one I had, from a few months ago.
I think it went down from 133MB to 112MB. Is it improved compression, or did they remove a lot of stuff?

It's not the first time I noticed a newer update being smaller, but this is by far the largest difference I recall.

I just installed mse for the first time ever on another win XP machine. It installed fine, and automatically updated itself after the first install, before the first scan.

I just tried to update the defs for the first time since the day I first installed it, using MSE updater v1.5. It gave me an error message during the first step (download the update defs). It said HTTPDL.exe encountered a problem with a dialog box. MSE updater came back and said no update available.

I then went ahead and downloaded the update manually from the ms web link and did the update the old (long) way, by unpacking the files and running the old MpSigStub from my archive. It worked, but I wonder what is the deal with the HTTPDL.exe, and how can I fix it??

On 5/30/2017 at 7:06 PM, shae said:

A recent Security Essentials update was noticeably smaller than the previous one I had, from a few months ago.
I think it went down from 133MB to 112MB. Is it improved compression, or did they remove a lot of stuff?

It's not the first time I noticed a newer update being smaller, but this is by far the largest difference I recall.

Also, it looks like they updated the MpSigStub file again. The new one is dated 5/27/2017 . I did not try it, but I am sure it will fail like the previous update.

8 hours ago, mo832 said:

using MSE updater v1.5. It gave me an error message during the first step (download the update defs). It said HTTPDL.exe encountered a problem with a dialog box. MSE updater came back and said no update available

This problem I absolutely can not reproduce. I need more details, for example, how you run the Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater V1.5, whether or not there is a faulty Windows XP installation, or any optimization software that has a faulty setting on Windows. Based on your information it is impossible to diagnose a possible source of error.

6 hours ago, heinoganda said:

This problem I absolutely can not reproduce. I need more details, for example, how you run the Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater V1.5, whether or not there is a faulty Windows XP installation, or any optimization software that has a faulty setting on Windows. Based on your information it is impossible to diagnose a possible source of error.

Can I give you more info such that you might be able to help me pinpoint the source of the error? I support the idea that there may be a flawed installation on this XP machine, since this machine has never had MSE before, and previously it used AVG for many years. I had to uninstall AVG due to sluggish performance and a recent error message. But now, I am sure there could be a previously unknown flaw in my installation of XP, or the AVG removal process could have corrupted something.

To answer your question, I am running MSE updater 1.5 simply by double clicking the icon for the program, and select (1) for update mse defs. Also tried "RAVE" for reset antivirus engine, then ran (1) again. The HTTPDL.exe error persists.

It appears that it has a problem with starting or performing the download remotely...

no posready on this machine and yes, xp sp3 and all critical patches up until they cut off support. I did use the avg remover, so normally there should not be remnants but there could be.

I did a search on my system for httpdl.exe and all it could find was windows prefetch.

Will attempt to run malware bytes and adwcleaner when have time.

But do you have any other suggestions?

Clearly the system does not like httpdl.exe. Also, this system still has IE 8, and although I never use it (always firefox), the IE8 is still set as default browser. Could this be causing problems?

Again, the update worked when download mpam-fe and run it manually, but not with mse updater 1.5 auto.

A few information about the hardware like processor, memory (size) and chipset would interest me. Otherwise I have at the moment no explanation why httpdl.exe (wget) with this computer does not work. A scan with MBAM and AdwCleaner can not hurt.

Update:
The problem with Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater V1.5 @mo832 was solved, apparently there was an incompatibility of WGET Version 1.17.1 its hardware.

Edited by heinoganda