Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

18 hours ago, mo832 said:

Where do I begin to fix this?

Does it have anything to do with fact the I tried the manual update? That always worked in the past and the daily auto updates have been working.

I am having exactly the same problem you are on two XP computers. I only manually updated the virus definition files on one of them but both are having the same problem, MSE does not turn on.

When there was trouble with MSE earlier this year I did not avail myself of the fixes posted in this thread. All I did was upgrade MSE to version 4.6 and install the updated virus definition files manually. In a day or two everything was working again. All was good until September 1. About a week ago MSE v.4.6 became 2 years old, a coincidence? Who knows!

I have not been able to upgrade to MSE v. 4.7 the way I upgraded to 4.6, replacing setup.exe with the one from v 4.4. The upgrade commences but then cancels itself, restores v. 4.6 and downloads the latest virus definition files and installs them.

How to fix this requires more knowledge than I have but I want you to know you are not alone. :)

This may be the end for MSE on XP for me unless someone has a fix. There are still plenty of free virus scanners that run on XP and I might install one of those unless there is a fix for this problem.

Have you ever tried to "MpCmdRun.exe -RemoveDefinitions -All" to set the database of MSE back? At least in my scenarios ran solve many problems with it. In my offered MSE Updater an option exists. Personally, I use MSE not regularly, but for testing purposes in my virtual machine. For this purpose, I use the version 4.8.204.0 (Without the message of support for XP ended is).

:)

Edited by heinoganda

In several web searches, I found some other comments which make it appear that the arrival of September 1, 2016 has something to do with this. I posted on this forum weeks ago that originally MS plan was to disable the MSE service from even STARTING on XP. Maybe this is what is happening?

In any case, out of frustration, I decided to uninstall MSE (version 4.5.216.0) and then reinstall a fresh copy of version 4.4.304.0. This worked, at least so far. The service starts, and it immediately went to load the latest updates for the malware. After it was in for a few hours I went to manually update via the button to see if it would have the same error, but it worked also. So far, the daily automatic update has not taken place, so this has not been tested.

Now, some new questions, please anyone try to answer:

1. Is it OK to leave as-is with 4.4 without losing any protection?

2. Is there a way to do an incremental upgrade to 4.5 ? Where would I find the upgrade file?

3. Filehippo has what appears to be an old installer for 4.5.216.0 for "Vista". Does anyone know if this would work in XP and would it install a full version from scratch already set to 4.5 ? Of course this requires removal of the old version first, not as attractive.

I don't recall there ever being separate installers of MSE for XP and Vista. They had separate 32-bit and 64-bit installers. Version 4.5 was released just in time for XP going EOL and installed itself on XP computers that were running MSE. They dropped XP from the list of supported OS's and added the nag box. That was the only "improvement". I doubt there were many improvements in version 4.5 for Vista and Win 7 users.

The mistake I made earlier was that I tried installing versions 4.7 and 4.8 as an upgrade on top of version 4.6. When I uninstalled MSE 4.6 first both 4.7 and 4.8 installed but like version 4.6 they did not work. Even 4.9 might have installed but I got a warning about potential system instability if I went ahead so I cancelled the installation. I don't think 4.9 would have miraculously worked when the previous four versions did not.

I installed version 4.4. It updated itself, the icon in the taskbar is green, there is no nag box, and on the surface at least everything appears to be working. 4.4 is the version to have installed. Downloading a fresh copy of 4.5 is not likely to help. As reported, 4.5 does not work any longer. It appears there was a time bomb for XP in MSE versions 4.5 and higher.

Thanks heinoganda. I didn't need it this time but I will keep your updater handy. It will be stored in a rar file without a lengthy password. :)

What after the version 4.8 came from MSE, was no longer compatible with XP respectively no longer executable! In version 4.8 I lib "MpSvc.dll" for the service modified to allow the warnings on Windows XP no longer effective. If me still or again conspicuous Error MSE Updater under certain scenarios, this will be offered as soon as possible update. What the future brings so in terms of the definition updates for MSE on Windows XP will tell.

Edited by heinoganda

On 9/3/2016 at 9:08 AM, antiproton said:

I installed version 4.4. It updated itself, the icon in the taskbar is green, there is no nag box, and on the surface at least everything appears to be working. 4.4 is the version to have installed. Downloading a fresh copy of 4.5 is not likely to help. As reported, 4.5 does not work any longer. It appears there was a time bomb for XP in MSE versions 4.5 and higher.

I confirm this. I was using heinoganda's modded MSE 4.6.305.0 in a VirtualBox VM, and it worked flawlessly up to the last days of August. Today I've started the VM once again, for the 1st time in September and the icon became red. I was able to update it  with heinoganda's updater and then to start it: it briefly turned green, then back to red and the service stopped again, all by itself. After repeating that dance a few times to convince myself it was useless, I've removed the modded MSE 4.6.305.0 and installed 4.4.304.0 once again. It then updated, became green again and remains working OK. So, I do agree with antiproton: besides the nag that heinoganda's mod disabled, there must be a timebomb for XP in MSE versions 4.5 and higher, set for Sep. 1st, 2016... or, at least, it's the only explanation to the observed facts that makes sense.

@dencorso

I would be interested if this problem occurs even when my modified version 4.8.204.0, especially in the version 4.6.305.0 no modification to the Service (MpSvc.dll) was made, but only the file "msseces.exe" from version 4.4.304.0 was added (see this post). In the version 4.8.204.0 I have a different approach and made a modification to the Service (MpSvc.dll) (As this barrier function should no longer apply). Unfortunately I only have until August to testing MSE (mod. Version 4.8.204.0 Rev. 3) installed in the VM where I did not have this problem.

The problem lies in the fact that from September the 1st, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\EndOfLifeState key changed from 0x2 (Grace period. OS has reached end-of-life, but anti-malware platform service is still running and definition updates can be received) to 0x3 (Anti-malware service stopped. You can no longer start the anti-malware service). As suspected by heinoganda, replacing the gui (msseces.exe) is no longer sufficient.

@heinoganda

Any chance to try your last modded MSE?

2 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Unfortunately I only have until August to testing MSE (mod. Version 4.8.204.0 Rev. 3) installed in the VM where I did not have this problem.

I am now using this version and it works with no problem.

5 hours ago, Plosa said:

The problem lies in the fact that from September the 1st, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\EndOfLifeState key changed from 0x2 (Grace period. OS has reached end-of-life, but anti-malware platform service is still running and definition updates can be received) to 0x3 (Anti-malware service stopped. You can no longer start the anti-malware service).

As "Plosa" suspected this case is, as I have it in a previous post (Figure 4) simulated occurred!

Important information regarding the installation of my modded version 4.8.204.0 Rev. 3:
This may not be installed as an update if a version already installed over version 4.4.304.0!
It must be uninstalled first, the no longer functioning MSE version!

Supplement:
In the original version of MSE 4.8.204.0 well service suspended respectively no longer running.
Short summary, all original versions of MSE on Windows XP over version 4.4.304.0 are from 1st September "Checkmate"!

Edited by heinoganda

On 9/2/2016 at 3:57 PM, mo832 said:

In several web searches, I found some other comments which make it appear that the arrival of September 1, 2016 has something to do with this. I posted on this forum weeks ago that originally MS plan was to disable the MSE service from even STARTING on XP. Maybe this is what is happening?

According to the previous 2-3 posts, it has been confirmed. There is a good amount of evidence that the hunches were correct! And the original official announcement that MS would place this restriction has come true.

On 9/5/2016 at 4:41 AM, heinoganda said:

Unfortunately I only have until August to testing MSE (mod. Version 4.8.204.0 Rev. 3) installed in the VM where I did not have this problem.

On 9/5/2016 at 7:26 AM, mirekprv said:

I am now using this version and it works with no problem.

I can confirm that: heinoganda's mod. Version 4.8.204.0 Rev. 3 still works OK. And original v. 4.4.304.0 still does so, too.
Hence, there are those two options to contunue to use MSE after Sep 1st. 

I believe MS has already Demonstrates based on the definition file, what is still could be thrown for billets in the way the Windows XP users at MSE. :wacko:
Which of these spitefulness are still possible, the future will tell. :dubbio:

Edited by heinoganda
Changed "which still occurs" to "are still possible"