Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

4 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Secondly, you can in the Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Backup" delete the contents and even try a definition update to install.

heinoganda, I tried your second idea first, as it was simpler than uninstalling and then reinstalling Defender. If deleting the backup folder contents didn't work, I was going to try PROBLEMCHYLD's new suggestion, and then if that didn't work either, I was going to uninstall Defender and reinstall it. And if that failed too, I was going to try some of the more complex solutions that have also been proposed in the thread.

But... it worked!!! :thumbup I deleted the contents of that backup folder, and now Windows Defender has the current definitions.

By next week, we will see if Defender can update itself, or if manual intervention is still needed.

--JorgeA

@JorgeA

Why the Windows Defender definition updater when you can not start I can not reconstruct at the moment, ultimately, does this nothing more than before the actual update of the definition, delete the contents of the backup directory.

Note:
Why I suggested Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, the fact is indicative of this still so many problematic software respectively can delete them also reasonable (especially associated various registry entries). It is in this sense not a virus scanner, but a supplement specifically aimed at damaging programs and various promotional tools. A search with this program is at least an additional reinsurance, not the virus scanner is ever compromised.
For Avast Free I can say that this is a good virus scanner, but various modules make more corrupt than they protect. The modules such as file system protection, mail protection, web protection and Software Updater are top and the rest is in my opinion for a ton.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

12 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@JorgeA

Why the Windows Defender definition updater when you can not start I can not reconstruct at the moment, ultimately, does this nothing more than before the actual update of the definition, delete the contents of the backup directory.

Note:
Why I suggested Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, the fact is indicative of this still so many problematic software respectively can delete them also reasonable (especially associated various registry entries). It is in this sense not a virus scanner, but a supplement specifically aimed at damaging programs and various promotional tools. A search with this program is at least an additional reinsurance, not the virus scanner is ever compromised.
For Avast Free I can say that this is a good virus scanner, but various modules make more corrupt than they protect. The modules such as file system protection, mail protection, web protection and Software Updater are top and the rest is in my opinion for a ton.

Just to make sure everything is OK, I'll install MBAM as you suggest and run it to see what it says. I can also run several different AV scanners from live CDs.

I'm running version 7 of Avast Free on that XP machine. It's the last version before Avast started doing all sorts of strange things with their program.

--JorgeA

ADDITION: MBAM ran on the XP machine and didn't find anything.

Edited by JorgeA
[new info]

@JorgeA

I like to hear that nothing was found. Well, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you can uninstall, as already written, as this only served as a kind of insurance again. Am I anxious times how it goes with the future definition updates for Defender to you.

Note:
Incidentally, in the "Windows Defender Definition Updater" I have the screen output refinished Furthermore there is also the possibility the file "Windows_Defender_DEF_UPD.exe" with WinRAR or 7zip to open, unpack complete in a directory and run the file "MSEDEFUPD.bat". Since your virus scanner should not go crazy, where appropriate the folder to the exception list of Avast in module file system protection.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Have yet found a problem in the Temp folder in the second edition of MSE 4.8, my start delay of the user interface (client) leaves empty folders from 7zip sfx. The problem I have found and eliminated in the third edition. So far I am very satisfied of the service remains no longer occasionally hang when you start Windows XP (already in the second issue resolved). Furthermore, the user interface starts cleanly after a system reboot and not get stuck in the red functionless status. Just a note, the KSLDriver (version depending on the definition) of MSE will also automatically clean integrated as functional service, and during a search operation, the "Offline registry DLL" (offreg.XXXX.dll) version 6.3.9600.16384 (can be different, depending on the definition).

@All

If interested on MSE 4.8 for Windows XP x86 (third edition is the final version), please PM!

Edited by heinoganda

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up to the MSE AV today with it being orange, saying the Pc has been scanned in xxx number of days, so i scanned & it stayed orange

confusing as the IDE's are upto date yet MSE AV complains saying Virus & Spyware definitions out of date running auto  it downloads ok & shows current version, yet stills says put of date

so I uninstalled MSE, then re-installed manually installed the IDE & still the same

tried using the PE_Patch and it shows as Subsystem as 5.1 & Operating System Version as 10.0 ( I am on XP Pro SP3) i tried changing that to 5.1 still no go

strange thing is my other PC has same verion MSE & Ide's

MSE 4.0..1526

AV Definitions 1.223

Spyware definitions 1.223

6.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
new pic

On 30 May 2016 at 10:33 AM, DrWho3000 said:

Woke up to the MSE AV today with it being orange, saying the Pc has been scanned in xxx number of days, so i scanned & it stayed orange

confusing as the IDE's are upto date yet MSE AV complains saying Virus & Spyware definitions out of date running auto  it downloads ok & shows current version, yet stills says put of date

so I uninstalled MSE, then re-installed manually installed the IDE & still the same

tried using the PE_Patch and it shows as Subsystem as 5.1 & Operating System Version as 10.0 ( I am on XP Pro SP3) i tried changing that to 5.1 still no go

strange thing is my other PC has same verion MSE & Ide's

MSE 4.0..1526

AV Definitions 1.223

Spyware definitions 1.223

6.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

8.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
Update

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2016 at 11:02 AM, heinoganda said:

Microsoft Security Essentials Updater for download and update the definition.

Download:
here

Password:

P&n"y9j5V23Khb1%vA7vM9CreU3BYzI429TD$h6K§

Update V1.2 on 05/14/2016

Hide contents

been added:

1. Option to reset the antivirus update engine of MSE. (only in Startmenu)

2. If the option is Only Download in usage, are at the option "update the virus definition for MSE",
   simultaneously updates the definition for Only Download.

3. Optimised installation of the MSE-Definition.

debugging:

1. When comparing the existing and new version of the MSE-Definition
   despite recent updates was the message "No update aviable!" displayed.

2. By Only download the time is shortened considerably to determine the version.

Update V1.1 on 05/02/2016

Reveal hidden contents

been added:

1. optimized HTTP request so that only needed virus-definition is loaded. Delta update of the virus-definition now available.
   (Thereby the time intervals between the download requests can be considerably shortened.)

2. Displays the version of the antivirus definition, spyware definition and engine, as well which updated.

3. Only Download MSE-Definition definition file is possible.
   (mpam-fe.exe and mpam-d.exe, interesting if on an installation of MSE first no Internet is desired)

4. Process flow of the two concurrent batch files optimized.

5. Less CPU load, PING commands for Pause replaced by sleep.exe.

6. The program can also be run in unpacked (WinRAR or 7zip) form (MSEDEFUPD.bat),
   besides can still through various startup parameters, or in the file itself can be made settings.

@heinoganda: Sorry to take so long to notice it, but what do you mean by "To Reset the antivirus update engine ........... (RAUE)" ??? What key is <RAUE> ? :dubbio:

Raue.png

On 8.7.2016 at 10:44 PM, dencorso said:

but what do you mean by "To Reset the antivirus update engine ........... (RAUE)" ??? What key is <RAUE> ?

The definition database MSE is reset, as with "MpCmdRun.exe -RemoveDefinitions -All". It is not a key, but four keys (uppercase letter). (Four keys reason so not by mistake the definition database of MSE is reset!)

@all
Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater update to version 1.3
Windows Defender Definition Updater update to version 1.1

Have several bugs corrected.

Edited by heinoganda

• 1 month later...

NEW PROBLEM- PLEASE HELP / COMMENT

So, everything has been going along fine since this problem was first addressed several months ago. My icon is green and usually once per day, the automatic defs update takes place at a random time, and I don't have to do much to keep everything running.

Today that changed. Since the update procedure uses up so many resources, and ties up the entire pc until it is finished, and I never know what time it will update, today I tried a manual update so I could control the time. During the update, the window turned red and said "you are not protected". At the end of the update it said "could not update" gave an error message and said the service had stopped.

Now, every time I try to restart the service, it turns green for a moment and then turns red again. Start service, then stop. I rebooted and it still will not start. Bottom line--- now the service is stopped and I cannot get it to start and hold.

Where do I begin to fix this?

Does it have anything to do with fact the I tried the manual update? That always worked in the past and the daily auto updates have been working.