Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

I got the info from 1. from various websites. Below is an excerpt:

See Stage 3 in particular.

End-of-life status

[MSE] also provides a registry [value] to show the current end-of-life status of the current OS if it’s near end-of-life. [It's called] EndOfLifeState [and is stored in] HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware.

Stage 1: OS is approaching end-of-life. At this stage, the OS is near the end of its support lifecycle. [MSE] will still work as normal.

Stage 2: Grace period. OS has reached end-of-life, but anti-malware platform service is still running and definition updates can be received. For example, for Windows XP, the Grace Period stage starts on April 8, 2014.

Stage 3: Anti-malware service stopped. You can no longer start the anti-malware service, and your computer will not receive anti-malware definition updates. Thus [MSE] will no longer help to protect your computer. For example, for Windows XP, this stage starts on July 14th, 2015.

Source: FEP and SCEP anti-malware protection support after OSes reach end-of-life

Edited by mo832

Anyone has any insight on what may have happened with the supposed Stage 3 above?

I ask because there was a lot of talk at one point about MS extending XP support again and again, even after previous deadlines passed. Now we know that they were finally serious at a certain point, and cut off everything except for XP POS systems (embedded). It seems there may have been a plan and then they went easy on it due to security and/or PR reasons. I am just curious about how deep this MSE issue was supposed to be. I don't want to be surprised one day if MSE suddenly goes crazy one day ;).

Just a few facts (in the context of questions asked here):
MSE 4.5 is a nagware (so it is recommended to roll back to 4.4).
Microsoft always lying (intimidating XP users and forcing them upgrading their computers and installing Windows 10 at any cost).

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

... and all others have to use a crystal ball to answer those questions. I cannot, at the moment, because I'm recharging my crystal ball...

You also traded in your good ol' analog crystal ball for one of those fancy, new digital ones? :w00t:

Possibly running Windows 10 FTE (Fortune Teller Edition) or the new, experimental, Android "Sphere Cake" ? :ph34r:

jaclaz

OK so here is what I found to work for me, and it should work for anyone else who has 4.5 and would rather not uninstall it.

http://superuser.com/questions/738131/disable-the-security-essentials-end-of-life-warning-on-windows-xp

Do the steps 1-7 near the middle of the page, under the Heading "Workaround", Updated May 30, 2014.

After I applied these steps myself, The red icon went to green (for the first time EVER), the popup window(out of support mse) on every boot did not appear, there is no longer any language in my mse window that tells me I am not protected, the status now says "protected" instead of "at risk".

Lastly, if I click on help/about in MSE, it shows anti-malware client version 4.5.216.0, even though everything is still green, since it is running one piece of 4.4 and everything else is left alone as 4.5.

Works like a charm and I am a happy XP-er !!

According to the discussion at the site, this method should also prevent any future update from targeting your MSE and messing it up without your permission.

@mo832: Way to go! :thumbup

55 minutes ago, mo832 said:

OK so here is what I found to work for me, and it should work for anyone else who has 4.5 and would rather not uninstall it.

http://superuser.com/questions/738131/disable-the-security-essentials-end-of-life-warning-on-windows-xp

Do the steps 1-7 near the middle of the page, under the Heading "Workaround", Updated May 30, 2014.

Now, just to keep things as together as possible (and also to try to prevent them from falling into the memory hole), I quote here the workaround mentioned by mo832, above:

1.) Get a copy of version 4.4.304.0 of the MSE installer. Any language will do.

2.) Log on with an administrator account, and extract the mseinstall.exe file using 7-Zip.

3.) Open the x86 folder, and extract epp.msi though 7-Zip.

4.) Rename the extracted msseces.exe file to msseces2.exe.

5.) Copy msseces2.exe to the MSE install folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client).

6.) Open a command prompt, type or paste the following command, and press Enter:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "MSC" /t REG_SZ /d "\"%programfiles%\Microsoft Security Client\msseces2.exe\" -hide -runkey" /f 

7.) Restart Windows.

@dencorso

:)

I am so grateful to everyone on this thread, especially on the first page, for helping me with the broken definitions updates (while the problem lasted)...

Now I am pleased that I was able to offer help to others with red flag /nagware problem on mse 4.5. Too bad I did not discover this last year!

Well, that's what MSFN is best at: catalysing people at having ideas / finding solutions / improving at found solutions / etc.
There sure is some creative synergy in threads like this one, in which almost every post contributes something... it's a kind of colletive brainstorming, which spawns good fruits. And, for sure, this one was a pleasure to participate in. Thank you for starting it! :yes:

18 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Thank you for starting it! :yes:

Well, just for the sake of accuracy, that would rightly be attributed to @ND22 :)

He was the first one to report what turned out to be a very widespread issue. Thanks again!

I tried using the method to remove the nag screen, but it doesn't work on Microsoft Security Essentials 4.7.205.0.

I have use my method to install version 4.7.

I have not gotten 4.8 or higher to work on WinXP. Auto updates works, no errors or popup other than the nag screen.

MSE47.JPG

Well, up to version 4.6.305.0 does the trick. Have times in the version 4.8.204.0 with a HEX editor the chain between service and user interface via the Registry key EndOfLifeState affected with the result that although there is a certain time in the green, but at the latest after an update of the virus definition is again all red.:crazy:

:)