Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

@blackwingcat

I tested times in a German-speaking version of Windows XP where I packed the 8 files from your package in one of German-language update package (DEU) successfully with positive functional test while executing the Difinitionsupdate file "mpam-fe.exe". Direct Definition Updates with MSE function again. :thumbup  

It is a pity, of the 8 files "kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll and ole32.dll" a language difference exists. :( (But nevertheless very good job!)

What about with future security updates, where some or all 8 files will be replaced? Think me in the future security updates to the files to be updated must be observed, which If appropriate first a subsequent patch of "WindowsXP-KB2584577-v0.4-x86-ENU.exe" will be installed.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Thanks blackwingCat.

Thanks for japanese version.

Working fine in  my cousins tab from hp running tabletpc2005 (actually came with 8 and it is having core i5).

does your patch can be eaten with SUSE Or Noodels or Fishfry:cool:?

14 hours ago, heinoganda said:

The Downloader comes from me, I thought to myself that it might facilitate somewhat the life for some users who still use MSE. :D

Oh. Thanks.

@blackwingcat: How is it related to the MSE updates?

I'm having the same exact problem with the installation of updates for Windows Defender in XP: the installation fails, and if I download the file manually and try to install it, there's an error message claiming that it's not a valid Win32 application. It doesn't matter whether I try to update via Windows Update, or via the Defender UI, or even go directly to the Windows Update website, the result is always a failed installation.

The installation also failed on an XP system that had the POS hack applied to it -- it received a number of Windows Updates and installed them just fine, but not the Windows Defender definitions file.

Do any of the solutions proposed above work with Windows Defender (and not just with MSE)?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

IIRR, mpam-fe.exe also updates Windows Defender. So I think my solution should work for you, too, all right.
It's quite well behaved, though, so that if it does not find what it thinks it can update, it just finishses silently without having done anything.
Whatever the result, do keep us posted, please!

@heinoganda

Thanks! From which place Your program updates the definitions? Why ping is needed?

@blackwingcat

Thanks but replacing 7(8) system files is a very painful operation. These files for sure will be updated by future official updates.

@JorgeA

The solution from my first post in this topic will work for You too.

@shae

How is it related to the MSE updates?

Directly.

@Bersaglio

The SFX file is unpacked in "%windir%\TEMP\MSEDEF.TMP". There are two batch files started simultaneously, the first using the downloader and the second first checks if the download exists, checks whether completed download, unzip (case error code abort) and run "MPSigStub.exe". The ping command is used as a substitute for a wait cycle.

@JorgeA

Download Link for Defender Definition (mpas-fe.exe)  here

Edited by heinoganda

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

... there's an error message claiming that it's not a valid Win32 application.

We must make a sticky of this, recent versions of MS compilers have pre-set the Major OS version to 6 so that compiled executable throw an error "not a valid Win32 application" when run on XP or earlier EVEN IF there is no particular *need* for a Vista :ph34r: or later system.

Changing major/minor version to 5.1 is NOT a guarantee that the executable will work, but in many cases that is all that is needed to run them.

See:

jaclaz

5 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

@blackwingcat

Thanks but replacing 7(8) system files is a very painful operation. These files for sure will be updated by future official updates.

I descript detail about  WindowsXP-KB2584577-v0.4-x86-ENU/JPN

1.  It base on KB3126593

2. mfc42* and msvcirt.dll are official Windows NT6.x files.

3. ntdll and ole32 does not be changed.

4. kernel32 and ntdll depend on each language , so if you need , they should be localize them

5. ws2_32 is stubbed WEP(500).

6. kernel32 changed "valid win32 application checker" and add GetTickCount64.

4 minutes ago, blackwingcat said:

I descript detail about  WindowsXP-KB2584577-v0.4-x86-ENU/JPN

1.  It based on KB3126593

2. mfc42* and msvcirt.dll are official Windows NT6.x files.

3. ntdll and ole32 does not be changed.

4. kernel32 and ntdll depend on each language , so if you need , they should be localize your language.

5. ws2_32 is stubbed WEP(500).

6. kernel32 changed "valid win32 application checker" and add GetTickCount64.

Edited by blackwingcat

6 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@JorgeA

Download Link for Defender Definition (mpas-fe.exe)  here

7 hours ago, dencorso said:

IIRR, mpam-fe.exe also updates Windows Defender. So I think my solution should work for you, too, all right.
It's quite well behaved, though, so that if it does not find what it thinks it can update, it just finishses silently without having done anything.
Whatever the result, do keep us posted, please!

I stand corrected in that the correct file for you is mpas-fe.exe, not mpam-fe.exe.
That said, the patching method I described for one applies equally to the other. :yes:

Would Like To Say Thx to those that offered solutions to this fix of MSE not updating on XP SP3.

I was using 2.11 had this problem on 2 PC's with error code 0x800700c1, resulting in not updating Auto & either manually

I updated from 2.1 to the latest it can take (I think 4.4)

used the PE_Patch and changed header as suggested from 5.2 to 5.1

and it worked like a treat

So far it is now working, instead of a red or orange Icon it is green, & trying the auto update also works

NOT sure if it is a stuff ip on M$ part or deliberate, i had , had a similar problem before

Edited by DrWho3000
update