Jump to content

WPA2 for Windows 9x!


FantasyAcquiesce
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, cov3rt said:

from my searching in the wayback machine and other sources, i believe "odyssey client 1.0" supported windows 95, but was not version 1.1, and 1.1 i think was the first version with wpa support, not even wpa2 yet and so 1.0 would have been a bit old to use anyways. however, there was also a client named "Funk Soft. ODYSSEY 2.0 25 CLIENTS ( ODY-25-V2.0 )" that still appears on amazon ( currently unavailable ) but mentions windows 95 in the support list. i was never able to confirm what exactly this was for and if it really did support windows 95. i remember trying the zyxel funk software version 2.2 and it didn't install or work on windows 95. 

Interesting. If you find any working links for versions we haven't covered here, please post them.

I never really expected to find a wireless client supporting WPA2 for 95 from the beginning; it would be great to find such but I'll settle for WPA. At this point I really just needed to verify that the WiFi card driver I loaded under 95 was actually working, so a client capable of just running under 95 and listing available networks is one step in the right direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I am using Netgear WG111v3 54Mb/s USB card. Now the drivers were not available on the web when I was looking for them several years ago. I have the disc that came with the card. The main part of the driver is EAPWake.exe vs 220.4050.1028.2006 and the utility driver uses WG111v3.exe vs 3.6.28.314. There is an anomaly though. The utility says it is Netgear WG511v2 and I am connected to  Netgear WG511v2 54Mbps wireless PC card. The utility is not fully compatible with the  USB card I believe as it is erroring with "get parent" regular and uses some CPU speed. Other utilities will not work that I downloaded they are adapter specific. The other card that works that I have and drivers that are available on-line is Netgear WG311T 108 Mb/s wireless PCI card. I can confirm that the drivers and utility do work on WinME. Unfortunately mine was damaged, 2nd hand, the receiver only shows very low bar graphs and performs poorly no matter what OS I use and it uses a PCI slot if USB is important for the user.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
108Mbps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I am using Netgear WG111v3 54Mb/s USB card. Now the drivers were not available on the web when I was looking for them several years ago. I have the disc that came with the card. The main part of the driver is EAPWake.exe vs 220.4050.1028.2006 and the utility driver uses WG111v3.exe vs 3.6.28.314. There is an anomaly though. The utility says it is Netgear WG511v2 and I am connected to  Netgear WG511v2 54Mbps wireless PC card. The utility is not fully compatible with the  USB card I believe as it is erroring with "get parent" regular and uses some CPU speed. Other utilities will not work that I downloaded they are adapter specific. The other card that works that I have and drivers that are available on-line is Netgear WG311T 100 Mb/s wireless PCI card. I can confirm that the drivers and utility do work on WinME. Unfortunately mine was damaged, 2nd hand, the receiver only shows very low bar graphs and performs poorly no matter what OS I use and it uses a PCI slot if USB is important for the user.

Provide the hardware IDs if you can! It will help us search for the drivers of your card!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fixed the card error reporting by leaving the wg111v3 utility running while attempting to delete the reg key of wg511v2 and then terminating utility deleting reg key and restarting utility. After a reboot though it went back to thinking it is a wg511v2, perhaps delete reg key of other Netgear card/utility before installing new one? Something to look out for.

Device Instance Id
USB\VID_0846&PID_4260\001E2AB46D3A

Hardware Ids
USB\Vid_0846&Pid_4260&Rev_0200
USB\Vid_0846&Pid_4260

Win95 compatible and the utility picks up MFC42.dll works with modern routers WPA2 see p35 on KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates (4.5.2016.17). Below is part of the INI file showing error code,

1648=Setup has detected an incompatible version of Windows. Please click OK and verify that the target system is running either Windows 95 (or later version), or Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 (or later version), before relaunching the installation

There are still a few available on eBay, search WG111v3 and driver http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG111V3/WG111v3_v2.0.0_Setup.zip, installation guide http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG111V3/WG111v3_IG_03Mar08.pdf

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

I fixed the card error reporting by leaving the wg111v3 utility running while attempting to delete the reg key of wg511v2 and then terminating utility deleting reg key and restarting utility. After a reboot though it went back to thinking it is a wg511v2, perhaps delete reg key of other Netgear card/utility before installing new one? Something to look out for.

Device Instance Id
USB\VID_0846&PID_4260\001E2AB46D3A

Hardware Ids
USB\Vid_0846&Pid_4260&Rev_0200
USB\Vid_0846&Pid_4260

Win95 compatible and the utility picks up MFC42.dll works with modern routers WPA2 see p35 on KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates (4.5.2016.17). Below is part of the INI file showing error code,

1648=Setup has detected an incompatible version of Windows. Please click OK and verify that the target system is running either Windows 95 (or later version), or Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 (or later version), before relaunching the installation

There are still a few available on eBay, search WG111v3 and driver http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG111V3/WG111v3_v2.0.0_Setup.zip, installation guide http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG111V3/WG111v3_IG_03Mar08.pdf

i was thinking you made an error, you said the wg111v3 adapter works on windows 95 and supports wpa2? from what i've checked, windows 95 is not listed under the supported list for the wg111v3, as referenced from here "https://kb.netgear.com/1073/Windows-Adapter-Card-Compatiblity", only the ma301 and ma401 were listed as supported wireless adapters for windows 95. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I don't know first hand but the 1648 error code was taken from their ini file after installing. 95 would have to have MS installer installed or just copy files over from Win98. It comes with dnsapi, once connected to the gateway the utility may not need to run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

Well I don't know first hand but the 1648 error code was taken from their ini file after installing. 95 would have to have MS installer installed or just copy files over from Win98. It comes with dnsapi, once connected to the gateway the utility may not need to run.

is it possible to upload somewhere the windows 95 specific inf files / installation files and the application ( wireless utility ). i really don't want to get caught up in the mess up uninstalling drivers and experimenting with different drivers, applications, especially if i would using the setup that would install the wireless utility. i have ordered the wg111v3 on the way to be tested on a windows 95 system. i know you linked a driver already, but i am not persuaded if this really is the right driver + wireless utility combo. would i just run the setup / executable for it on the windows 95 system? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad you asked this question because there is a difference and not full functionality anymore, I thought it would be the same. It will work if I setup LAN with the 2007 utility then rename folder and copy new files into the original 2007 location. Left clicking on the tray icon does not bring up the utility is the problem so that manual adjustments with the 2009 utility can not be done . /hide suffix on WG111v3.exe startup shortcut minimized utility to tray with 2007. I have tried both WG111v3.exe and EAPWake.exe with KernelEx disabled and still works. The Module32FirstW and Module32NextW are imports in acAuth.dll and acCTA.dll but these files are not used normally and the W can be removed to make compatible. The 2009 updated drivers have got a later dnsapi.dll Win2K file which is an improvement. Looks likely that the original WG111v3.exe may be necessary though for configuring the gateway settings. Previous versions are still available here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WG111v3.aspx#download then click previous versions, mine was v1.1. Once connected to gateway the utility and EAPWake do not have to run it seems.

There may be a problem installing on 95 as the inf says copy files98 here is a snippet

[RTL8187B.ndi]
DriverVer = 06/28/2007,1093
AddReg = RTL8187B.win.reg, RTL8187B.common.reg, RTLWLAN.reg
CopyFiles = RTL8187B.CopyFiles98

The setup adds a small amount of reg settings namely Netgear and the usual MSI files for uninstall plus the files, if it works then the card should work. There is an error with v2.0 driver as utility version for 98SE/Me is supposed to be 3.6.44.314 but installs 3.6.47.314. By renaming WG111v3.exe and running v1.5 twice to remove then install into the same directory as v2.0 seems a good option as newer files were not overwritten and has got 3.6.44.314. If checking of files with Dependency Walker can be done, will help confirm support, needs MFC42.dll not sure if this was standard with 95. Testing was done on WinME.
 

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

I am glad you asked this question because there is a difference and not full functionality anymore, I thought it would be the same. It will work if I setup LAN with the 2007 utility then rename folder and copy new files into the original 2007 location. Left clicking on the tray icon does not bring up the utility is the problem so that manual adjustments with the 2009 utility can not be done . /hide suffix on WG111v3.exe startup shortcut minimized utility to tray with 2007. I have tried both WG111v3.exe and EAPWake.exe with KernelEx disabled and still works. The Module32FirstW and Module32NextW are imports in acAuth.dll and acCTA.dll but these files are not used normally and the W can be removed to make compatible. The 2009 updated drivers have got a later dnsapi.dll Win2K file which is an improvement. Looks likely that the original WG111v3.exe may be necessary though for configuring the gateway settings. Previous versions are still available here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WG111v3.aspx#download then click previous versions, mine was v1.1. Once connected to gateway the utility and EAPWake do not have to run it seems.

There may be a problem installing on 95 as the inf says copy files98 here is a snippet

[RTL8187B.ndi]
DriverVer = 06/28/2007,1093
AddReg = RTL8187B.win.reg, RTL8187B.common.reg, RTLWLAN.reg
CopyFiles = RTL8187B.CopyFiles98

The setup adds a small amount of reg settings namely Netgear and the usual MSI files for uninstall plus the files, if it works then the card should work. There is an error with v2.0 driver as utility version for 98SE/Me is supposed to be 3.6.44.314 but installs 3.6.47.314. By renaming WG111v3.exe and running v1.5 twice to remove then install into the same directory as v2.0 seems a good option as newer files were not overwritten and has got 3.6.44.314. If checking of files with Dependency Walker can be done, will help confirm support, needs MFC42.dll not sure if this was standard with 95. Testing was done on WinME.
 

wouldn't it just make sense to run the 1.1 installer? there is also the 1.0 version. also i did experiment with trying to install the adapter on windows 95, although im not sure which ones i tested, i think i tried install version 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0 in that order. however, i plan on reinstalling windows 95 and starting out with 1.0 first if it might be more compatible or stable? i noticed that i couldn't get the usb to be detected before and it mentioned mfc42u is missing. it's unclear if this is because mfc42u.dll is not part of 9x systems and so the error was because of an unsupported driver, or if mfc42u is indeed a windows 95 or 98 file, and that it was missing, in which i did do a file search on the local drive and i did not have it. i did come accross it through coincidence today when looking at IMMC.exe which is microsoft management console 1.2 for windows 95. i have added this to install as a december 1999 update, even though from my research, it seems to have been published in may 2002 for windows 9x? and because there was some help file that was older than a older update in my checklist, so i decided to move it behind this other older update for now with the assumption that if i updated my system this way, then all files would have the newest versions at the end :unsure:. i also read that mmc 1.2 requires ie5 installed, and so this caused me to also move office 2000 standard into 6-7-1999 checklist, assuming that it installs ie5 related components or ie5 itself that the mmc 1.2 would need, i will of course be installing ie 5.5 sp2 later on in the checklist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>wouldn't it just make sense to run the 1.1 installer? Well it depends if you want to use the updated drivers or not, some mods are only applicable to later OSs so perhaps are unnecessary.
Are you sure that it is mfc42u.dll that is required because mine only uses mfc42.dll which came standard with ME and 98.

There is a better MMC than what is provided by the unofficial SP but it is still not fully compatible with the mmc files used in 2K ectcetera. Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Embedded (4.00.1381.204)\winnt40.1381.embedded.x86\CD1\drvlib\EMBEDDED\mmc contains version 1.0 (5.0.1702.1) infoadmn.dll imports from advapi32.dll need to be directed to mssadmws.dll. MMC requires mfc42.dll as well.


 

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2019 at 1:37 AM, Goodmaneuver said:

>wouldn't it just make sense to run the 1.1 installer? Well it depends if you want to use the updated drivers or not, some mods are only applicable to later OSs so perhaps are unnecessary.
Are you sure that it is mfc42u.dll that is required because mine only uses mfc42.dll which came standard with ME and 98.

There is a better MMC than what is provided by the unofficial SP but it is still not fully compatible with the mmc files used in 2K ectcetera. Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Embedded (4.00.1381.204)\winnt40.1381.embedded.x86\CD1\drvlib\EMBEDDED\mmc contains version 1.0 (5.0.1702.1) infoadmn.dll imports from advapi32.dll need to be directed to mssadmws.dll. MMC requires mfc42.dll as well.


 

like i said, i'm not sure which version is / was compatible or gave that error message related to mfc42u.dll is missing. it's possible, that because the installer wouldn't properly install on windows 95, then it would also copy the wrong files or ask for the wrong files such as mfc42u.dll which i believe is only an NT file. but all this really doesn't matter anymore as i moved on from the experimenting. i did use version 1.1 for the installer on 98SE with unofficial service pack 3.64 without kernelex and it worked fine with wpa2 connection, i didn't bother with the newer versions. i am pretty sure there are no existing official wpa2 drivers / software for windows 95, unless i can see for myself, i'm not even sure on wpa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it can work on Win95.

www.computerhope.com/download/window95.htm :- Updates Windows 95 to support USB. Requirements: Only for Windows 95 version 4.00.950b and 4.00.950c.

toastytech.com/files/w95usbflash11.zip :-USB flash driver

I did some checking and mfc42.dll needs IE4 installed that came with Windows 95 OSR 2.5 because wininet.dll is missing some functions otherwise. IE4 updates many system files including advapi32.dll, shell32.dll, rpcrt4.dll, msvcrt.dll and setupapi.dll. These file dates are 18/11/1997 but advapi32.dll does not contain SetSecurityInfo so advapi32.dll, iphlpapi.dll, dhcpsvc.dll, ipcfgdll.dll, msafd.dll, msasn1.dll, ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll have to be updated from Win98SE to make work. Also requires unicows.dll.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Additions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I think it can work on Win95.

www.computerhope.com/download/window95.htm :- Updates Windows 95 to support USB. Requirements: Only for Windows 95 version 4.00.950b and 4.00.950c. 

toastytech.com/files/w95usbflash11.zip :-USB flash driver

I did some checking and mfc42.dll needs IE4 installed that came with Windows 95 OSR 2.5 because wininet.dll is missing some functions otherwise. IE4 updates many system files including advapi32.dll, shell32.dll, rpcrt4.dll, msvcrt.dll and setupapi.dll. These file dates are 18/11/1997 but advapi32.dll does not contain SetSecurityInfo so advapi32.dll and iphlpapi.dll have to be updated manually from Win98FE.

You're way behind the times on USB for 95. :whistle:

Remember as well that IE 5.5 SP2 works on Windows 95. It may contain updated versions of some of these files. Not to say whether this will or will not be enough to support WPA2. This is likely up to the decisions made by the developers of whatever WPA-client software rather than "whether or not Windows 95 is capable" of it.

(There are even ways to hack in IE6 under 95; never tried it myself and I don't know if all files work, but there's a thread about it on BetaArchive.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I have successfully installed Intel Wireless PRO/2011 PC Card (PCMCIA) in Windows 98SE on Thinkpad A21m. After installing the Odyssey client 4.52 it sees the Wifi and I can add it to Networks, fill in the password WPA-2/AES, but the client is still "Searching for ..." the network. Do I have to change some more settings in the Control panels/Networks of Windows? Many thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...