Still find XP with IE6?

zerbey

I'm tring to find a copy of XP that comes with IE6. So far, resellers on Amazon don't seem to be sure which version of IE their discs have. Is their some kind of identifier that helps you know which version of IE a certain build of XP has?

All versions of Windows XP shipped with IE6, even with Service Pack 2/3, that doesn't change. Windows XP SP3 upgrades IE to IE6 SP3 as long as you haven't upgraded the browser on your own.

Tommy is correct, the default browser for XP is Internet Explorer 6, regardless of service pack level. However, the service packs do upgrade IE to IE 6.0 SP1, IE 6.0 SP2, and IE 6.0 SP3.

To my knowledge, the only way to get an upgraded IE 7.0 or 8.0 is if it is slip-streamed into the installation source.

I never upgraded the IE on my XP systems; I like having the old IE for backward compatibility, and I just use Firefox/Chrome/Opera etc for anything that requires a newer browser.

IE 6 actually still works with quite a few sites, but you MUST have XP SP3 for SHA-2 compatibility (CRYPT32.DLL). I have no issues using it on BlackBoard, for example.

w10bb.jpg

Also, Google Chrome Frame (wiki), (the original download and my own) while no longer supported, allows IE 6 to work with the majority of modern websites. The web developer simply has to include the following in their source to recognize it. Most websites already include this code.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1" />

8 hours ago, MrMaguire said:

Microsoft did release an ISO for volume license customers, and it had IE7 slipstreamed, as well as Media Player 11, Remote Desktop 6, and a few other things. POSReady 2009 is based on this ISO.

Are you referring to the free evaluation CD available on Microsoft's web site?

Microsoft.com: Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 Evaluation CD (archived here)

to guy saying VL versions came upgraded with ie7 and wmp 11

answer is NO... the only VL version of XP was "Pro" but often called "Corporate Pro"
I have RTM (SP0) of it, original ISO, and it is plain standard just like any XP RTM, except for no activation part

There is no official XP installation CD-ROM with IE7/IE8 in it.

Even if there is one, it should be buggy. During Unofficial SP4 development I discovered that IE7/IE8 files will cause problems during Upgrade installs from previous versions of Windows (98, NT, 2000). Of course I applied a workaround (SP4 is the only update pack with such a workaround), but there is no official fix for that.

Thus, I believe there is no official XP disk with IE7/IE8 slipstreamed, either, since they would have to test it in all scenarios.

Edited by harkaz