How to install Windows 98SE or ME on Dell Latitude D600

FantasyAcquiesce

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good information here! :) I have finished setting up a Dell D600, plenty of good programs put on it and all drivers installed. The problem I'm having is shutting down from Windows and going to Restart to MS-DOS. I've asked because of the way the Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller has to be configured to show the CD ROM within Windows, this hinders the way the D600 goes from Windows to DOS. Before I made the change to the Resources to get the controller to show the CD/DVD ROM within Windows, I could get Windows to restart to DOS. Now with the changes made, it boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor and no prompt. I've set up a Dell C840 and a IBM R40 with Windows 98 and no issues with either. Anyone else having this issue? 

19 hours ago, Dellfan said:

Lots of good information here! :) I have finished setting up a Dell D600, plenty of good programs put on it and all drivers installed. The problem I'm having is shutting down from Windows and going to Restart to MS-DOS. I've asked because of the way the Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller has to be configured to show the CD ROM within Windows, this hinders the way the D600 goes from Windows to DOS. Before I made the change to the Resources to get the controller to show the CD/DVD ROM within Windows, I could get Windows to restart to DOS. Now with the changes made, it boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor and no prompt. I've set up a Dell C840 and a IBM R40 with Windows 98 and no issues with either. Anyone else having this issue? 

Same issue here, not sure how to solve it though...Might need to ask on multiple forum sites as well.

On 11/8/2016 at 11:31 PM, Dellfan said:

On 11/8/2016 at 11:31 PM, Dellfan said

Found this information here which seems to solve the problem of exiting into MS-DOS from Windows when you have a Dell D600 that has a modified hard disc controller to show your CD or DVD-ROM within Windows - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/138996

Defining Custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat Files

To define custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to be processed when you restart your computer using the "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode" option, follow these steps:
If you have not restarted the computer in MS-DOS mode before, click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart The Computer In MS-DOS Mode, and then click Yes. At the command prompt that appears, type exit and then press ENTER.

Click the Start button, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
Locate the "Exit to DOS.pif" file in the Windows folder, use the right mouse button to click the file, and then click Properties on the menu that appears.

Click the Program tab, and then click Advanced.

Click Specify A New MS-DOS Configuration, define the custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files in the CONFIG.SYS For MS-DOS Mode and AUTOEXEC.BAT For MS-DOS Mode boxes, and then click OK.

You don't have to write anything different in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT files (unless you know what you are doing to make changes in DOS files), just exit out and reboot.

After, if you go to Restart in MS-DOS, it will reboot the system totally, then state "Windows 98 is now starting your MS-DOS_based program". Then you will see the usual Microsoft Windows 98 copyright and the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. If you type "exit" to exit out, it will again reboot the system from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...". If you type "win" to exit out, then it will state "You are currently running in MS_DOS mode. Do you want to return to normal mode, to run Windows applications again [Enter=Y. Esc=No]?" Hitting Y will reboot the system again from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...".

Took me several days of research to find this information. It may not be a perfect solution, but I hope it helps someone else enjoy Windows 98 on a Dell D600!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 10:11 AM, Dellfan said:
On 11/8/2016 at 8:31 PM, Dellfan said:

Found this information here which seems to solve the problem of exiting into MS-DOS from Windows when you have a Dell D600 that has a modified hard disc controller to show your CD or DVD-ROM within Windows - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/138996

Defining Custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat Files

To define custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to be processed when you restart your computer using the "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode" option, follow these steps:
If you have not restarted the computer in MS-DOS mode before, click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart The Computer In MS-DOS Mode, and then click Yes. At the command prompt that appears, type exit and then press ENTER.

Click the Start button, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
Locate the "Exit to DOS.pif" file in the Windows folder, use the right mouse button to click the file, and then click Properties on the menu that appears.

Click the Program tab, and then click Advanced.

Click Specify A New MS-DOS Configuration, define the custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files in the CONFIG.SYS For MS-DOS Mode and AUTOEXEC.BAT For MS-DOS Mode boxes, and then click OK.

You don't have to write anything different in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT files (unless you know what you are doing to make changes in DOS files), just exit out and reboot.

After, if you go to Restart in MS-DOS, it will reboot the system totally, then state "Windows 98 is now starting your MS-DOS_based program". Then you will see the usual Microsoft Windows 98 copyright and the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. If you type "exit" to exit out, it will again reboot the system from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...". If you type "win" to exit out, then it will state "You are currently running in MS_DOS mode. Do you want to return to normal mode, to run Windows applications again [Enter=Y. Esc=No]?" Hitting Y will reboot the system again from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...".

Took me several days of research to find this information. It may not be a perfect solution, but I hope it helps someone else enjoy Windows 98 on a Dell D600!

I tested this, now DOS works HOWEVER I get an error "File not found" "Invalid drive specification" when directly launching a dos program that automatically restarts 98se into dos mode.

When I try going into another dictionary, I get the message "Bad command or file name" when I tried c:\>dir /GAMES (Folder) I simply get the message "Invalid switch -/games. I've tried doing / and \, nothing seems to be letting me enter a folder even though I can use the "dir /ad" command!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

On 11/27/2016 at 3:21 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I tested this, now DOS works HOWEVER I get an error "File not found" "Invalid drive specification" when directly launching a dos program that automatically restarts 98se into dos mode.

When I try going into another dictionary, I get the message "Bad command or file name" when I tried c:\>dir /GAMES (Folder) I simply get the message "Invalid switch -/games. I've tried doing / and \, nothing seems to be letting me enter a folder even though I can use the "dir /ad" command!

Sounds like the way you have your DOS folder set up is causing the problem. Your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files are calling for programs you don't have setup the same as you did when you first installed them. You will have to write changes in those files to get DOS and Windows to act the way you want. Hopefully someone will read this thread and be able to help with that. I don't know DOS well enough.

On 11/29/2016 at 2:43 PM, Dellfan said:

Sounds like the way you have your DOS folder set up is causing the problem. Your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files are calling for programs you don't have setup the same as you did when you first installed them. You will have to write changes in those files to get DOS and Windows to act the way you want. Hopefully someone will read this thread and be able to help with that. I don't know DOS well enough.

I checked now, the instructions you originally gave me from microsoft works! Turns out I was using the wrong commands :)

I wanna thank whoever contributed to this "project" ;)
The unsupported Dell Latitude D600 models can now unofficially run Windows 98 properly! This topic can also help those trying to get older models to work as well. The D Latitude Series' compatibility with is hit and miss with choosing models

I can confirm Windows 98SE is indeed possible on the D505 ;)

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=15907

Other compatible models include (According to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Latitude#D-Family)
D400 -Intel 855PM Chipset, Intel UMA integrated (Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 driver), Broadcom 5705M Gigabit Integrated Controller, Dell 1450 miniPCI Wireless Card (Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 a/b/g Wireless Card), AC'97 (Soft Audio)
D410 - Intel 915GM Chipset
D500 - Intel 855GM Chipset
D505 - Intel 855GME Chipset
*D610 - Intel 915PM Chipset model only! ATI Mobility Radeon X300! Broadcom 57xx Gigabit Controller, Intel PRO 2200 (802.11b/g) or Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Dell 1370, SigmaTel C-Major STAC 9751 (AC97) (Same audio as the Dell 600 I believe!)
D800 - Intel 855PM, nVidia GeForce4 440 Go, SIGMATEL STAC 9750 (The driver used on the D600 and D610 may or may not work!)
D810 - Intel 915PM, Nvidia FX1400 Models require the unofficial video card, other models come with ATI discrete X300 video card (supported on 98!), Sigmatel STAC 975X (The same audio driver for the D600 probably works), wireless can be a Dell Wireless Card 1350/1450/1370/1470 (A.K.A Broadcom) or Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG, same ethernet as D600!

Incompatible
D510 - Intel 915GM Chipset, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900...(No Windows 9x drivers for that...)

Chipset: INF Update Utility for 848, 865, 875, 910, 915, 925 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14713
810/815/820/830/852/855 Chipset families, as well as the Intel® 840/860/E8870 Chipsets.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/8177/INF-Update-Utility-Zip-Format?product=27672

I'm not sure if there are drivers for the 945 family chipset after searching online. I found these two that claim to hold support for Windows 98, but these are untested! The latitude models with the 945 chipset are not included
945PM
http://download.cnet.com/Intel-Chipset-945PM-8-1-1-1010-zip/3000-2122_4-162336.html
945GM
http://download.cnet.com/Mobile-Intel-R-945GM-Express-Chipset-Family-Display-Drivers/3000-2098_4-98144.htl

One last thing I need to solve: Getting sound to work on DOS!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
Edited in case

I'm very close to getting the sound work on DOS!!!

I've just ran into one issue >_<

Official page for VDMSound (Project is long dead, it was originally a program to make modern sound hardware emulate DOS hardware to allow sound! Ported to 9x due to many sound blasters not being dos compatible)
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=900

The required VCREDIST.EXE (linked it here because the links on the original post are broken!)

VDMS Sound error.png

4 hours ago, jumper said:

0x00000485
ERROR_DLL_NOT_FOUND
One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

I can't seem to figure out what's going on >.<
I installed everything needed and all the main system updates via unofficial service pack

Use Dependency Walker that you mentioned in another thread to examine VDMCONFIG.DLL and possibly other files in the package you are trying to install. If any of them report missing exports then it should help you track down what file is missing. If nothing else it should tell you what other DLL's VDMCONFIG.DLL is linked to so that you can be sure you have them. It's also possible you must register some other DLL before VDMCONFIG.DLL? :unsure:

Okay, I might need to reinstall Windows 9x or something because another user reported the program worked for him. This is what he's reported:

Strange. I got it to install. But I am having trouble going to DOS. I can edit the exit to dos.pif and get it to reboot and go to DOS, but not go directly to DOS from Windows. Do I need to setup a special config and autoexec to do that? And dosdrv.bat will only load for me in Windows. If I try to load it from DOS it hangs on vxdsinit and says vxdsload must be run from Windows. So how can you get it to work in DOS? In the readme it states it won't work in Win98

So is it possible to use a DOS SB compatible driver that would recognize the Sigmatel audio? Or would someone have to hack a driver? Like I said above I got it to install and I checked a game but it was hit or miss if the sound worked but the game would lock up even without me loading the vdmsound. I don't have a lot of DOS games to test.

The final thing we need to get working on the D600 for 9x is DOS sound!

On 12/18/2016 at 2:06 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I checked now, the instructions you originally gave me from microsoft works! Turns out I was using the wrong commands :)

I wanna thank whoever contributed to this "project" ;)
The unsupported Dell Latitude D600 models can now unofficially run Windows 98 properly! This topic can also help those trying to get older models to work as well. The D Latitude Series' compatibility with is hit and miss with choosing models

I can confirm Windows 98SE is indeed possible on the D505 ;)

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=15907

Other compatible models include (According to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Latitude#D-Family)
D400 -Intel 855PM Chipset, Intel UMA integrated (Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 driver), Broadcom 5705M Gigabit Integrated Controller, Dell 1450 miniPCI Wireless Card (Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 a/b/g Wireless Card), AC'97 (Soft Audio)
D410 - Intel 915GM Chipset
D500 - Intel 855GM Chipset
D505 - Intel 855GME Chipset
*D610 - Intel 915PM Chipset model only! ATI Mobility Radeon X300! Broadcom 57xx Gigabit Controller, Intel PRO 2200 (802.11b/g) or Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Dell 1370, SigmaTel C-Major STAC 9751 (AC97) (Same audio as the Dell 600 I believe!)
D800 - Intel 855PM, nVidia GeForce4 440 Go, SIGMATEL STAC 9750 (The driver used on the D600 and D610 may or may not work!)
D810 - Intel 915PM, Nvidia FX1400 Models require the unofficial video card, other models come with ATI discrete X300 video card (supported on 98!), Sigmatel STAC 975X (The same audio driver for the D600 probably works), wireless can be a Dell Wireless Card 1350/1450/1370/1470 (A.K.A Broadcom) or Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG, same ethernet as D600!

Incompatible
D510 - Intel 915GM Chipset, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900...(No Windows 9x drivers for that...)

Chipset: INF Update Utility for 848, 865, 875, 910, 915, 925 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14713
810/815/820/830/852/855 Chipset families, as well as the Intel® 840/860/E8870 Chipsets.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/8177/INF-Update-Utility-Zip-Format?product=27672

I'm not sure if there are drivers for the 945 family chipset after searching online. I found these two that claim to hold support for Windows 98, but these are untested! The latitude models with the 945 chipset are not included
945PM
http://download.cnet.com/Intel-Chipset-945PM-8-1-1-1010-zip/3000-2122_4-162336.html
945GM
http://download.cnet.com/Mobile-Intel-R-945GM-Express-Chipset-Family-Display-Drivers/3000-2098_4-98144.htl

One last thing I need to solve: Getting sound to work on DOS!

Don't know where you read that all this works with Windows 98, because it doesn't. You state that a Dell D410 with a 915GM chipset will work, then state that a D610 with the same chipset won't work. You can install Windows 98 on a D610 with the ATI Radeon x300 because there are Win98 drivers for that card, but the motherboard will not function correctly. There is NO Intel chipset support for the 900 series in Windows 98. None. You can download Intel drivers that say they do, but the .inf doesn't have the correct instructions, and the .cab files are invalid. Yes, Dell D505 can support Windows 98, but you need to install DOS instructions FIRST for it to work properly. There are NO Win98 drivers for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 card, only the 2100. Some of those Dell Wireless cards will work if they are a specific Broadcom brand that can use the generic Win98 drivers, but most of them won't. There are no nVidia GeForce4 Go drivers for Windows 98, but other GeForce4 drivers will work with those cards when the .inf file is modified. I've only posted information that I know is accurate and true after I've worked with those specific laptops.

3 hours ago, Dellfan said:

Don't know where you read that all this works with Windows 98, because it doesn't. You state that a Dell D410 with a 915GM chipset will work, then state that a D610 with the same chipset won't work. You can install Windows 98 on a D610 with the ATI Radeon x300 because there are Win98 drivers for that card, but the motherboard will not function correctly. There is NO Intel chipset support for the 900 series in Windows 98. None. You can download Intel drivers that say they do, but the .inf doesn't have the correct instructions, and the .cab files are invalid. Yes, Dell D505 can support Windows 98, but you need to install DOS instructions FIRST for it to work properly. There are NO Win98 drivers for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 card, only the 2100. Some of those Dell Wireless cards will work if they are a specific Broadcom brand that can use the generic Win98 drivers, but most of them won't. There are no nVidia GeForce4 Go drivers for Windows 98, but other GeForce4 drivers will work with those cards when the .inf file is modified. I've only posted information that I know is accurate and true after I've worked with those specific laptops.

I quickly determined it by looking here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Latitude#D-Family

Ah, it looks like I made another mistake (darn it, I'm on a streak of mistakes). Didn't check closely enough if the D410's video driver was 98 friendly...
Actually there are drivers for the 900 series (910, 915, and 925) if I'm not mistaking https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14713/Chipset-INF-Update-Utility-for-848-865-875-910-915-925-Chipset-Based-Intel-Desktop-Boards
Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~