Running windows 98 on asrock mobo 970 extreme 3 r2.0

yugioh47

hi there, i want to know is theirs way to run windows 98 se on asrock 070 extreme 3 r2.0 1tb hdd 8 gbs of memory and nvidia 650 with 2 gbs of video ram. i just want to do a multi boot with windows 10 x64. my processor or 6 core also. is there any generic drivers that i can use with windows 98 se with this mbo or do i need anything else done to the bios?.

well is there way to run windows 98 se on my pc?

is there anything i need to do this mbo in the bios?

Edited by Tommy

You're computer is way too new and will have serious issues with Windows 98. Windows 98 will not boot with over 1.5gb ram, doesn't support multiple cores, doesn't support SATA hard drives and requires something like IDE in bios (Some computers don't have this option), won't recognize hard drives over 130gb I think, not only that, most modern pc's and laptop's newer than ~2006/2007 won't have proper drivers if you manage to install it. Sadly, there's no way to properly run Windows 98SE on your pc besides using VMWare player (Could use pro version), VirtualBox, or Microsoft Virtual Pc 2007. Your computer is simply way too new to run Windows 98SE.

This probably won't help you much, but there are generic display drivers such as VBEMP or DisplayDoctor (Which I believe isn't available to download anymore, so VBEMP would be your only option). You will need a universal flash drive driver and software to recognize NTFS drives for Windows 98 since the old OS only supports FAT32 at best.

DL;DR (Too long; don't read)
You're computer is way too new and lacks any proper drivers for Windows 98. Use a virtualization program unless you plan on buying a pc that properly supports Windows 98SE.

It probably CAN be done, but I doubt it could be done in such a way to give any "satisfaction." For starters you would need at least 4 non-free patches from our good friend rloew to support your RAM, SATA, 1TB HDD and so on. You would have to use a FAT32 partition for Windows 98SE and even if you use a 98SE compatible NTFS driver you cannot break the 4GB file barrier and risk corrupting your NTFS disk if it has such files and you access it under 98. Then, there are no 98SE drivers whatsoever available for any of the devices you listed, so you would need to add a 98-compatible expansion card for every device you need to work under 98 - Audio, Video, Network, etc, which would probably be more expansion cards than your board can support and be utterly useless and redundant under Win10. You don't have to drop back to "ancient" hardware to run 9x, but you should at least step back far enough to have some of it be compatible.

1 hour ago, LoneCrusader said:

For starters you would need at least 4 non-free patches from our good friend rloew to support your RAM, SATA, 1TB HDD and so on.

It's almost impossible for you to get away with not using these utilities on a serious Windows 98 build. The video card would definitely raise a concern for me as I even had issues trying to get an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT with only 256MBs of RAM to work (Would just freeze the system on boot after installing the drivers). If you're going with NVIDIA, I believe that last good ones to really work with it is the GeForce 7900. And unless you're a really hard core gamer, more isn't always better. I've never found a need to go higher than my 8600.

Lone also forgot to mention about AMIBIOS. All Asrock boards use it, and it does NOT play very nice with Windows 98. I don't think it's impossible, but it's not very friendly to it. But I wouldn't say that's impossible to run Windows 98 on your build, but you WILL have to change out some hardware and you will absolutely have to use a few Rloew patches in order for it to work properly.

Let's start with this question. What do you intend to do with your Windows 98 installation, and maybe even your Windows 10 installation? That way maybe we can help better assess your needs and figure how we can better help you out.

11 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

It probably CAN be done, but I doubt it could be done in such a way to give any "satisfaction." For starters you would need at least 4 non-free patches from our good friend rloew to support your RAM, SATA, 1TB HDD and so on. You would have to use a FAT32 partition for Windows 98SE and even if you use a 98SE compatible NTFS driver you cannot break the 4GB file barrier and risk corrupting your NTFS disk if it has such files and you access it under 98. Then, there are no 98SE drivers whatsoever available for any of the devices you listed, so you would need to add a 98-compatible expansion card for every device you need to work under 98 - Audio, Video, Network, etc, which would probably be more expansion cards than your board can support and be utterly useless and redundant under Win10. You don't have to drop back to "ancient" hardware to run 9x, but you should at least step back far enough to have some of it be compatible.

how much will this cost?

15 hours ago, yugioh47 said:

how much will this cost?

Welcome to MSFN.
i am guessing your new to all this, your best bet is to find an old Pentium4 and install Windows98 on it, that is the cheapest, easiest to find, and still relatively modern when compared to older pentium 3 or 2's. Like the others said your hardware is way to new, even running windows 98 on some duals cores have issues. I suggested to find a cheap pentium 4 for like $20 and start from there. 
Here a few Tips;

Pentium 4 - disbale hyper threading
512mb of Ram Max
120gb MAX HDD
Geforce 7000 series max, must be 256mb of ram.

If you still dont want to use your main rig for windows 98 install VMWare, these are you only options.

This video would help alot

17 hours ago, yugioh47 said:

how much will this cost?

Visit rloew's site and see for yourself about the patches. Beyond that it will depend on what 98-compatible hardware you want to add to your system.

If you're not very serious about this or very committed to seeing it done, I suggest you find some older hardware. You're in for a rough project and I doubt you will be happy with the result, depending on what you want to use the machine for.

• 1 month later...

Extensive tests were done on compatibility of W98SE with the AMD 970 chipset lately.

With only a few modifications (i.e. Ushers Method, unoff. SP 3.0, NUSB 3.6), it was possible to install and run W98SE. This was the first time USB2 worked right from the start (legacy mode set to AUTO), and no sata-patch was needed for running sata devices from port 5 and 6 (set to IDE mode).

The big BUT:

After installing NVidia drivers, the board became quite unstable, without any clue on what was causing it. RLoew can confirm this as well.

A visible problem was a ressource conflict of a DMA-controller with motherboard ressources (although this does not necessarily have to be linked to the problem).

Unless someone reports a fix for the problem, i'd not waste time on boards with AMD 9x0 chipsets. Which really is a pity...

I finally did get a Mouse failure with my Z87 Motherboard with a 7950GX2, but no crashes or other lockups.

I am retrying my Math program on the M5A97 without Multicore but it runs much slower and probably will take weeks to test.

The XGA Driver ran without problems with the Math program. The MKV Video of course will not run with it.

The MSI 970A froze with the XGA Driver but I have had enough thermal problems with it that I cannot be sure.

I am thinking about a 760G Chipset Motherboard that promises to support the FX 8370 CPU I bought for the MSI 970A. Unfortunately it has only one PS/2 Port like the Gigabyte Motherboards. It doesn't say "Keyboard OR Mouse". Maybe there is hope for a splitter.

I can understand you look for a board for that CPU (and no 8x0 chipset supports it), but with regard to my really bad experience with the AMD 770 (that has the same SB710 as the 760G), i'd start with a *cheap* board... ;-)

btw.: As i look at it, the ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 has 760G, supports your CPU, has two separate PS/2 ports, front and back USB3, a *floppy controller*, and enough slots (being ATX) to adapt to any shortcomings... just my 2ct... just don't blame me if W9x blows up on it... :-D