Chrome 49 Update

sdfox7

When opened with Hex Editor, there are clearly differences between the Chrome 49 and 50 installers. I still believe there are artificial limitations placed here.

How do I find the value that is calling GetThreadId and remove this API call?

Top windows is Chrome 49 installer, bottom window is Chrome 50 installer.

chromehex.jpg

Edited by sdfox7

The Vivaldi browser (based on Chromium, made by the original developers of Opera) has also dropped support for Windows XP and Vista and older versions of Mac OS:

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/105-snapshot-1-1-453-6-further-tab-closing-options-improved-dark-ui-and-more-import-options

"Goodbye to old Operating Systems

With Vivaldi version 1.1 we will drop support for Windows XP, Vista and versions of MacOSX below 10.9. Recently, the Chromium project dropped support for these older OSes (Operating Systems), since they are no longer actively maintaned by Microsoft and Apple. As Vivaldi is a small team at present, so we cannot afford to support these OSes seperately.

If you are able to, upgrading your OS is the best course of action to ensure secure browsing and access to the latest Vivaldi features and fixes. If not, Vivaldi 1.0 will continue to function, though it will not receive further security updates."

True not otherwise to await the Chromium-based browser also no longer under Windows XP / Vista function, have made to this circumstance already here attentively. Regarding the installer from CHROME 50, which is the lesser evil. The CHROME 50.0.2661.75 I have already tried, without success. A functioning own installer for CHROME I have in petto, but in the actual Chrome files are missing a lot of code that is required for Windows XP / Vista. The what kicked the Chromium project would again be implanted so that at all a possibility CHROME 50 bring to work, otherwise I think that the effort is much greater when adapt Windows XP / Vista. :(

:)

Edited by heinoganda

On 3/30/2016 at 8:11 PM, JodyT said:

SlimJet may be a good possibility for XP/Vista users (there's even a compatible x64 build), but be aware of the caveats posted here:

http://www.slimjet.com/blog/regarding-support-for-windows-xp-and-32-bit-linux/

I missed this post at the time, but then realized that someone on Ars Technica also cited this as a good browser based on Chromium. It apparently syncs all Chrome settings while continuing XP and Vista support.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/chrome-50-ends-support-for-windows-xp-os-x-10-6-other-old-versions/?comments=1&post=31026417#comment-31026417

@vwestlife
Yes, I just saw that, sad but I suppose inevitable.
I was really hoping that Vivaldi would eventually be a long-term replacement for Opera 12 for me.
I guess if you want a supported in-development browser for XP now it's Firefox or nothing, but I'm sure that Mozilla will drop XP and Vista support as soon as it becomes in any way awkward to continue with it.
:(

Edited by Dave-H

16 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@vwestlife
Yes, I just saw that, sad but I suppose inevitable.
I was really hoping that Vivaldi would eventually be a long-term replacement for Opera 12 for me.
I guess if you want a supported in-development browser for XP now it's Firefox or nothing, but I'm sure that Mozilla will drop XP and Vista support as soon as it becomes in any way awkward to continue with it.
:(

Since version 25, Pale Moon has become its own independent browser. It mirrors Mozilla's security updates, but is not based on Firefox anymore. Pale Moon continues to provide an XP compatible version, at least for the time being. And then there's also K-Meleon and SeaMonkey, both loosely based on Mozilla, but not really Firefox clones anymore.

Maxthon also still supports XP and Vista, at least according to the articles I've found, although they don't state any specific system requirements on their site.

Thanks for that, I will certainly have a look at those options now that my preferred one has gone!
It's mainly annoying because Vivaldi were specifically trying to create a browser that would substitute for Opera 12 for power users, who use things like the unequalled user configurability of Opera 12, which will probably actually never be equalled.
I've been using Opera for many years, and it was very sad indeed when Opera decided to go down the Chromium route and re-build the browser as a shadow of its former self, even though I understand their reasons for doing it.
There is of course no guarantee that the latest versions of any browser will always work on XP.
:no:

I think Opera only released 12.18 so they could prove to their new Chinese owners that the Presto rendering engine is still an actively supported product.

I still use Opera 12.1x on a daily basis. Some sites no longer work well with it, but otherwise it is still a very lightweight, flexible, and capable web browser.

Officially they released 12.18 to update security protocols which were out of date and starting to compromise the browser's stability, as well as presumably its security.
I and many others were getting frequent random sudden shutdowns on Opera 12.17 which was of course a real problem!
Since upgrading to 12.18 I haven't had a single one.
It's very slow indeed now with javascript heavy sites like Facebook and YouTube, and one of the worst things now is that the submission of forms sometimes doesn't work after you've filled them in, meaning you've got to start again from scratch in a different browser, which is really annoying!
It's still a great browser, arguably the best ever produced, and I wish Opera's new Chinese owners would tell them to revive it!
:lol:

When if Update from April are be Last for Windows XP - That's a last caught x64 build it's from wolyss whatever.

Source,if They are be like at a 32bit or 64bit Source Package:

https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-official/chromium-49.0.2623.112-lite.tar.xz [Lite for Desktop|422MB - Source of Find: gsdview.appspot.com/chromium-browser-official]

How to Build with Visual Basic 2015:

https://github.com/henrypp/chromium/blob/master/building_chromium_gyp.md (But I am sure that's not changed for Windows XP.)

Revision build [chromium-browser-continuous]: 369725 {Source from: chromium174.rssing.com/chan-32546564/all_p19.html}

Edited by Illutorium
Lite Source code from Official Site. (More Lightweight than Stock.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2016 at 10:17 AM, sdfox7 said:

Attempting to run on XP results in my previously mentioned GetThreadID call to API which does not exist in XP.

However, as I suspected, there is a way to remove/modify the call. LeapMotion is no longer officially supported on XP, and "programmers" over there figured out how to restore XP compatibility.

Windows XP and GetThreadID and the resolution Restore Windows XP build compatibility

gtthrdid.jpg

I did not encounter the problem on the 32bit version of Google Chrome v49.0.2623.112 on XP32 & XP x64.  But attempting to run the 64bit version of Chrome v49.0.2623.112 produced an error message "The procedure entry point Wow64GetThreadContext could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" on WinXP Pro x64 SP2. :(

Chrome v50.0.2661.75 was the last one to actually run on Vista SP2 (not on XP) as I tested myself (both 32bit & 64bit versions).  However v50.0.2661.87 & higher refused to install nor run on XP & Vista (looks like Google blocked the installation on that one).

Anyways, I'll use the win32 (or 32bit) versions of new Firefox versions as they still support XP & Vista.  The win64 editions of Firefox only run on Win7 & higher.

Edited by erpdude8

Problem is that when they decided to remove the support of both Vista and XP, they started removing important internal functions that may (or may not) work if re-added to the current version. Chrome 50 actually fails to compile in visual studio 2010 (22 errors) and it fails on GCC (MinGW) as well with 4 errors and 8 warnings. In other words, it doesn't simply have to be compiled from scratch targeting XP, 'cause it'll fail. Unfortunately, there's nothing much we can do 'cause even if we might be able to backport it, we would have to manually backport every single update, hoping that the stuff they changed with the update don't actually screwed up our program.

As I wrote in my post, a good job has been accomplished when dismantling of the code. :puke:  For the remaining users can look forward to the Chrome became crippled by a few KB :crazy:, above all it was a very happy the event for MS. :w00t: The worst case that many alternative browser based on Chromium. Thereupon have thanked me at the Vivaldi team for the useless time I have invested for testing. :realmad:  Nevertheless, thanks for the effort. :(

:)

Note:
The smilies are just my anger reflect on such shabby behavior.

While I have previously recommended switching to an alternative browser, the question is: if SlimJet continues to work on XP, what functions/code does it have that allows it to run, and can that be ported to Chrome 50?