Chrome 49 Update

sdfox7

http://prntscr.com/arftjc

Sadly, it isn't working. Pages just simply won't load, and on top of that, aero is still not working. Thanks for your work regardless, and I hope you're at least able to get it working for Vista users in the future. It seems to me that it would be possible to get the Windows 7 version of Chrome working under Vista since the two OSes are extremely similar. Vista with the platform update should be able to handle it. I don't see it happening with XP without a ton of rework, though. 
P.S., for reference, I also included Chrome 40 in my screenshot since it's the last version that *properly* supported Vista before the whole XP alignment set of events took place.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista
I posted the wrong link by accident.

Crap! Ok, it seems I'll have to change other stuff and compile everything again... which is kinda sad, considering it takes two hours on my crappy old netbook. Anyway, we will bring chrome support back, I strongly believe it. As to Aero, it's simply not working 'cause I'm pretty sure I disabled it in one of my tests and left it that way (my fault). Anyway, it's not a big deal, once we'll have the compatibility back (without breaking stuff), we'll just have to send the changes to github and wait for an answer. If we will be lucky, Google team will approve the changes and will allow us to work at the code on github to get at least chromium supported by users to users, in the great spirit of open source. 

It fundamentally comes down to a dependency that Google has added to the browser beginning with version 50; I suspect Material Design. We just need to identify and remove, replace or fulfill the requirements of that dependency (modifying XP's KERNEL32.DLL). There must be a way to dumb the browser code down to make it backward compatible. If Firefox (and everyone else) can make their browser run on Windows XP, then there is a way to make Chrome continue to do so.

For example, see my page for using Mozilla Firefox 2.0 on Windows 95. You simply need to delete

nsSearchService.js

and

nsSafebrowsingApplication.js

Once you do this Firefox 2.0 runs correctly on Windows 95.

On 4/12/2016 at 3:08 PM, FranceBB said:

Crap! Ok, it seems I'll have to change other stuff and compile everything again... which is kinda sad, considering it takes two hours on my crappy old netbook. Anyway, we will bring chrome support back, I strongly believe it. As to Aero, it's simply not working 'cause I'm pretty sure I disabled it in one of my tests and left it that way (my fault). Anyway, it's not a big deal, once we'll have the compatibility back (without breaking stuff), we'll just have to send the changes to github and wait for an answer. If we will be lucky, Google team will approve the changes and will allow us to work at the code on github to get at least chromium supported by users to users, in the great spirit of open source. 

I really believe Google is intentionally crippling Chrome for Vista now. Here's Chrome 50 running on Windows 7 in Vista compatibility mode: http://prntscr.com/asf064 (Yes, it looks like Vista, but it's just a theme on Windows 7. To prove it, I opened IE11 which doesn't work on Vista, and you can clearly see the Windows 7 build number in CMD) and the same behavior occurs as if you were running it on the real Vista. It appears to me that once Chrome detects the OS as anything below Windows 7, it falls back to this crippled codepath and refuses to function properly. The only way to make it work would require fooling it into believing the OS was Windows 7, so it would run the Windows 7 version of Chrome instead of this crippled code, if that makes sense. That would probably be feasible on Windows Vista since it's essentially the same OS as 7, but as for XP, it would take more work I'm sure, if it's even possible. 

Chrome 50 has officially dropped today, so it is probably safe to assume that Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m is the final version for XP and Vista users. I downloaded the offline installer from https://dl.google.com/update2/installers/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe and archived it on my FTP at http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/chrome/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe.

Do not try to use the Google link because it will serve you the current version which is no longer compatible. I am just demonstrating that is was available as a standalone installer at that link.

Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m was digitally signed on April 5. Personally, I would switch to Firefox, Opera, Pale Moon or another supported browser.

gc49cert.jpg

The point is that such limitations have been inserted both in the installer and in the final code, but I removed them. By the way, I might have found a way to import certain APIs that are missing in both the XP and Vista kernel. To be fair, XP is not able to execute much more functions than Vista, but still Vista is missing some functions as well. These are minor functions, of course, but they are still missing. Last night I made a test, trying to import them from a more recent kernel; if everything goes fine, we will have the compatibility back, but we will have to say goodbye for good to the x64 'cause functions won't be executed in x64 OS. Still, it's not a big deal. I just need time to test it in virtual machine, 'cause, if it fails to load, it won't display a message, but it will screw up the system. If you want to test it, feel free to do it, I'll upload it, but please please please be careful and DO NOT use it in your daily system yet.

The proper way to do it is a wrapper library for the chrome code and a stand-alone patcher for the installer. In that way you don't need to redistribute any patched third party files, just your own.

Unfortunately, one has made the Chromium Project, the effort to remove the code that is required for XP and Vista. (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=579196) Now will probably appear in future all browsers built on Chromium (Vivaldi, Opera ...) no longer be run under XP or Vista, not good prospects. If this means that users should be moved to change to a newer Windows version, they have with me only one reached the change of the web browser. We have a proverb "Pride goeth before a fall" and hopefully they will arrive there again where they started times, especially since Windows XP still holds a significant proportion among the operating systems. That's my opinion on the subject of paid open source. :angry:

Well, hope dies last, that someone takes the trouble and Chrome is running again under Windows XP.

:)

For me, for the time being, Chrome stays at Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m, just like IE stopped on version 8.
As it is, we still can continue updating Pale Moon and FF for a while. After that, well, then we shall see...

Of course, one's own Zukunftsfähigkeit depends on that one's Weltanschauung and mine, for one, is fully against all Verschlimmbesserung ! :angel 

Hello all Vista users :P

After reading the following comment:
Google Chrome 50 Drops Windows XP and Vista

On Windows Vista, Chrome 50 appears to run in portable mode, but will not be supported and use is not recommended

I went ahead and downloaded v50.0.2661.75 (32bit) of Google Chrome Portable from page:
Google Chrome 50 Portable (PAF)

It extracted and installed fine (the portable NSIS setup apparently doesn't check for mininum OS required :) ).
Once the portable launcher (GoogleChromePortable.exe) was run, the browser itself loaded fine and
behaved flawlessly in every test I put it through (I was testing it for at least 45min after install).

Unlike what was posted previously in this thread, all URLs tried loaded successfully and quickly.
I only have 2GB of RAM on this 2007 Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2 laptop, yet Chrome 50 appears
to be very responsive, as long as the number of opened tabs isn't excessive (max 8 tried...). Screengrab:

j7ZFBN1.jpg

Of course, as could be expected, Aero doesn't work; you all know it hasn't worked since v41 :( ...
But the browser, in portable mode, is very usable on my system :).
I was never a true Chrome convert (I have used Firefox as my main browser since 2006), but I do want it for tests occasionally...
I haven't bothered to try the installable version (to query if it does install to begin with), nor do I have an interest currently for the beta/dev channels, but Portable Chrome 50 (stable) does seem as a working option on the Vista OS.

For XP users: Although it's not to be found on the PortableApps.com site anymore,
you can download Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Portable from the following link:
Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Portable (IFTW)
This is an installer-from-the-web, aka stub/online NSIS setup,
which fetches the 49.0.2623.112 files from Google servers...
If you are interested, better download and install now; who knows if/when Google remove those files...

Best regards

Edited by VistaLover

I tried the Portable version on XP and as of yet it's still a no-go due to GetThreadInfo.

All is not lost however. You can still get the updated pepflashplayer.dll by navigating the chrome-bin directory to the updated Flash Player. Flash seems to cause more problems online than simply running an outdated browser. So simply copy the pepflashplayer.dll from the portable version to your Chrome 49 in Program Files.

2100216.jpg

21002162.jpg

Edited by sdfox7

AFAIK devs are modifying the source code to get rid of Vista and XP codes. Although Chrome 50 portable seems to run, I personally tried to modify chrome 51 in my previous posts and it clearly didn't work, so don't expect next version of Chrome to work. 

There are people running Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8; is it really a big deal if we aren't running Chrome version 57,894?

I should also point out that Microsoft violated its own lifecycle policy when it decided to drop support for existing browsers on an OS. It used to be that the browser, regardless of whether it was the latest available for the OS, lived on and received security updates as long as the underlying OS was supported.

You can see evidence of this when Microsoft continued to support Internet Explorer 5 on Windows 2000, years after Internet Explorer 6 had been released.

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

Internet Explorer 8 remains supported due to WES09 and POSReady 2009. :angel

I understand this. What I intended to say is that previously, all versions of Internet Explorer for a platform were supported until the platform itself lost support. Now, Microsoft has changed policy so that only the latest version of Internet Explorer on a platform is supported.

Internet Explorer 5.0 received support until 2010 because Windows 2000 was still supported until then, and Internet Explorer 6.0 received support until Windows XP reached end of life in 2014. Now, Windows Vista is still supported, but Internet Explorer 7.0 and 8.0 are not supported on the platform; they would have under the previous policy. The situation is the same with Windows 7, which shipped with IE8 and can run IE9 and IE 10, but none of those browsers are supported any longer.

I am not including non-consumer versions such as POS.