Why am I seeing this boot menu?

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

I didn't do anything to make this happen and I want it to stop.

During boot-up a useless menu appears for two seconds. Item one is XP Pro and item two
is the Recovery Console. That's all.

The first appearance of this menu happened a few days ago. The system is working fine.
There are no detectable problems. I have several ways to restore the system, so I'm
never forced to use the Recovery Console.

Do I have to edit a file, Registry hack, disable something in msconfig, policy editor, or . . . .?

Note (if needed).

Normally BOOT.INI is C:\BOOT.INI and it is a small text file that you can open in Notepad with attributes Read Only, System and Hidden, so you will need to use command line and attrib to make it visible and writable and even to see it in Explorer you will need to set it to show hidden and system files.

jaclaz

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

I deleted the lines about XP Pro and Recovery Console. Now I'm getting a slightly
altered boot menu. The problem won't go away.

Should I delete boot.ini and let the system create a clean copy? If not, how should
I edit this file so it will no longer show the boot menu?

A few seconds after my last post I realized the boot.ini file should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Here is what puzzles me. I've booted XP Pro countless times. This menu was never
visible during the boot process until a few days ago. Somehow, that command line
about the Recovery Console was added by the system. I never edited this file.

I remember tinkering with the Recovery Console the first time I installed XP Pro just
to learn how it worked. I quickly realized the Recovery Console was not something
I wanted to rely on if my system was damaged!

I create dozens of partial and full system image backups. I also use Rollback Rx
Professional. Rollback allows you to create an unlimited number of image "snapshots."
It boots before Windows starts, so you can restore the system in a couple of minutes if
something goes wrong.