Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver for Windows98 (Continuation)

LightAlpha263

Yep, I'm reviving this while trying not to be banned I guess?

I have downloaded a driver (Not for 9x!) from the Fujitsu website for my Fujitsu Lifebook S7010 which even though there isn't any documentation of anyone using Windows 98 on it, I'm trying anyway. My plan is to use the utility KernelEx to allow this 2k/XP installer to work and hopefully get the driver working period. An advantage with this driver (that I'll link down below) is that (kinda unfortunately at the same time) it comes with Intel Proset Wireless. Even though it's a bit bulky and not all user friendly, and kind of annoying, it worked when I had that laptop on 2k. So, my theory is by using KernelEx to provide a compatibility layer for 2k, which is more likely to work than trying to provide the layer XP-wise and above, it will install and allow me to connect to Wireless Networks!

Link:http://www.fujitsupc.com/downloads/mobile/WLAN_INTEL_2200BG,2915ABG_V9.0.4.26_XP.EXE

Notes: I haven't done this yet. It's a theory that I will hopefully get around to testing later. I have already found 9x drivers for other devices on the Laptop. Also, the laptop doesn't OFFICIALLY support 9x, and even though the website lists  2k drivers for almost all of the devices, there is no where that says 2k was officially supported either. The link above was listed under XP, but I know it works with 2k because I tested that during the Laptop's 2k stage. If you want me to create a topic saying EVERYTHING involving me getting 9x to work on this laptop (if it works), then just tell me and I'll do it happily. Respond if you test this yourself and tell me your results if you can.

Why do this: Because I can, and I want a 9x laptop that isn't broken.

AFAIK, KeX will not work for Drivers. Drivers are "native" and KeX only works for Software. IOW, you need a Driver that's compatible or else make your own with a DDK. I believe you're out of luck trying to make Drivers work with any KeX as that's just a Kernel Layer and has nothing to do with Drivers. Some people have had some luck modifying INF files to "force" a driver in, but whether it would actually work with the given OS is another story.

Sorry to disappoint...

Edited by submix8c
Link to original Topic.

KernelEX is for User Mode Programs. Drivers are Kernel Mode Programs. I have been working on a Kernel Mode extender called WDMEX but results have been limited. It currently adds all Windows ME Functions to 98 and some 2K Functions.
Without further analysis, I cannot say if this would help.

I dug up the 8.1.0.28 2K version of the driver that I linked in the previous incarnation of this thread. It is only missing one function, NdisInitializeString, under a vanilla 98SE system. This reminds me of the other 2K network driver file that was missing an NDIS function, I believe in Dave-H's thread where he ended up using a DOS driver. Any chance of an NDIS stub or extender set? wait a minute.. "NDISEX" ?? :lol: lmao