Quick way to do a full shutdown?

bizzybody

Instead of going through all the rigamarole to disable fast shutdown, is there a utility that can be used to force Windows 10 into a true full shutdown?

I ask this because it appears that somehow it is managing to ignore or bypass bootup keyboard commands to get into BIOS setup, despite the laptop being from 2008 and definitely NOT having a UEFI BIOS. The company never offered anything newer than Windows Vista, having gone out of business before the release of Windows 7. So it shouldn't have any built in support for any of Windows 10 or 8's fancy tricks.

7 hours ago, bizzybody said:

Instead of going through all the rigamarole to disable fast shutdown, is there a utility that can be used to force Windows 10 into a true full shutdown?

I ask this because it appears that somehow it is managing to ignore or bypass bootup keyboard commands to get into BIOS setup, despite the laptop being from 2008 and definitely NOT having a UEFI BIOS. The company never offered anything newer than Windows Vista, having gone out of business before the release of Windows 7. So it shouldn't have any built in support for any of Windows 10 or 8's fancy tricks.

Yeah just toggle the little switch on your power strip. Fast shutdown achieved. Trust me it is very fast. :)

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

A restart initiated through software is already always a full shutdown and restart.

-Noel

Not on this laptop without disabling fast shutdown. It blocks using F2 to get to bios setup on a restart or booting from shut down if fast shutdown is enabled. It would be nice to have some little shutdown app that when doubleclicked would bypass fast shutdown.

Windows 10 does not at all like having the plug, or battery pulled. It takes a long time to start up while it checks for problems.

13 hours ago, bizzybody said:

Not on this laptop without disabling fast shutdown.

I suggest you disable it then.  It doesn't take all THAT long for Windows to do a real shutdown / bootup, and you save yourself the potential hassle of the disk being dirty, the OS accumulating resource depletion or corruption, etc.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC