Discussion about IPS 4 forum software

xper

The real question grows...

...taking into account all the compliant about IPS software, both from MSFN Members and Staff, why do we keep using their board software(and why we did in the past)? Admin's habbits? Some sentimental/legacy issues? Some board's functions we underestimate, but are being found essential? Too much alternatives to choose from? Too much work with moving to different ones, like f. e. MyBB (my fav, just to note...)?

Well, just asking :P

Reading the comments how forcing this to work was painful for the admins and that the recent situation might re-apper in the worst moment, and how much negative feedback site's changes got from users (keep in mind that we are quite a concentration of narrowminded dinosaurs, affected by oldschool solutions and stuck to old systems) I'm just wondering what happens behind the scenes and how the sites HQ thinks about it. If the information it's not confidential, of course.

And yes, I do assume that such a thought might have caught your attention for at least the tiniest bit of time. Just fancy about how the background of IPS selections looks like.

And no, I don't have any admin experience. Still fancy to know.

IPB last free version was 1.3F/2.0, afterwards they then moved into paid only. They stopped support for free version of the forum and keep that same model with the paid versions. Eventually you get to a point where you have to upgrade to the newest version or you don't get patches anymore. So a forum owner has the choice to upgrade to the newest version, stay on a vulnerable old version or switch to another forum software.

Converting to a different software is way more work than updating to a new version of the same software. Especially if the forum has a lot of custom content. Also not all forum software have the same things or are only available as a mod or add-on. Suggesting to move to a different forum software is not something that can be done easily. In cases where this is done, it either involves a ton of work on the backend OR the forum starts out fresh. So switching to another software really isn't a viable option unless you absolutely have to. A recent example that I remember was Assembler, where they had a server failure and then did a conversion before relaunching the site, but that site was down for a long time in the process.

Hi,

I'm new here, and I just wanted to say this is a great resource for older Windows versions!

That aside, it would appear that none of the attachment links seem to work. Every link I click, I get "Error 500 - Internal Server Error" (off-site links appear to work fine). Is there a projected time by which this problem will be fixed?

Thanks,

c

• 4 weeks later...

Something I hate about the forum is that it tries to guess whether your're on a mobile platform or a desktop platform based on the browser window size. So, basically when I don't have my browser maximized, I get a mobile version of the site, even though I'm on my desktop.

By the way, here's a bloat comparison:

MSFN (Invision Power Services): http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dagmCE/http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174208-windows-10-deeper-impressions/

Betaarchive Forums (phpBB): http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/buWyMx/http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=24392

Six times today, I got the following error message:

MSFN error.jpg

It happened under a variety of circumstances, including submitting a new post; navigating to a new subforum; and moving to a new page in a thread. One time it happened after I had spent a while composing a post, which I then lost. Never did manage to reconstruct it completely.

A few years ago, during a previous period of forum software instability, I resorted to putting each new post in the clipboard before submitting it to the board. Looks like I may have to bring that practice back again.

--JorgeA

I really do not like to complain about a forum software as I understand that you are kind of forced to upgrade and have been trying to do everything to make it usable.

However, I just must say that using the new editor is extremely frustrating. Lack of proper BBCode support is one thing, but the problem is that the Editor is just very buggy. Pressing ENTER or SHIFT+ENTER often breaks the line in the middle of the previously written text. Sometimes pressing ENTER just removes the whole paragraph completely. Other times the whole paragraphs moves down. Pasting links is also hit or miss.

I have experienced these issues in two different portable installations of Firefox - both the newest version, one completely clean, one with addons and everything. To write even a short post I have to constantly go back and forth relying on Ctrl+Z and also keep the whole thing copied in clipboard all the time. Please check it when you have some free time :( as at the moment it seems easier to just write everything in Word beforehand and then paste the complete post here.

Even right now while writing a post in another thread ENTER just suddenly stopped working completely. Crtl+V is not working also. I am really wondering if those responsible for the IPB software have even tested it in Firefox.

Edited by tomasz86

The contrast ratio between the post text and the background is pretty poor: http://leaverou.github.io/contrast-ratio/#%23666666-on-rgb%28253%2C253%2C253

Would it be possible to increase it to "7" or higher (so that it complies with WCAG 2.0 AAA)?

I find the current text difficult to read, and I have a decent monitor (the contrast will be worse on cheaper ones).