Discussion about IPS 4 forum software

xper

If "old and crabby" describes someone who expects basic things to work, then I'm there.

The more disturbing aspect is the lowering of the bar.

A digital system is one that actually CAN achieve perfection.  That we are seeing people more and more willing to accept greater and greater IMperfection is disturbing indeed.  A what point does nothing work and people just stop trying to communicate?

Case in frigging point:  I was hoping to italicize the word "nothing" in the above sentence.  I pressed Control-I while I was typing.  Then, when I typed the very next character - the 'n' - the I stopped being highlighted and the n that appeared in the post was NOT italicized.

People who allow stuff like that to be considered acceptable and released need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

And now I'm going to browse elsewhere, since I have no desire to be frustrated like this while I'm on a forum.

-Noel

Not sure if this is the right place for it now, but I want to report that carriage returns/line feeds don't seem to be working any more.

I can enable it but people just press enter again and again and posts looks awful. You have to scroll 2 m to get to the end of page.

52 minutes ago, NoelC said:

This Invision update was supposed to have fixed some 600 bugs, right?  And I can tell you from personal experience in just a few minutes use, this new version still has bugs.  So...  600 fixed, easy to find new ones.

This was not major update.

8 minutes ago, NoelC said:

And now I'm going to browse elsewhere, since I have no desire to be frustrated like this while I'm on a forum.

-Noel

Or better, close this shitty forum :-)

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Shift+Enter appears to retain the spacing.

This is a test. Next paragraph starts after a Shift+Enter:
This is the next paragraph. Another Shift+Enter:
Now the next paragraph follows just Enter:

Curious -- this time in the reply box there IS extra space before this paragraph. Let's see if it shows up when this is posted. Regular Enter again before my signature:

--JorgeA

P.S. For comparison, this is being typed following two regular Enters.

Huh, the previous Enter behavior seems to be back. @xper: if that was your doing, then thank you! :thumbup

So if we want the extra space between paragraphs, we hit Enter, and if we want no additional space we hit Shift+Enter. Got it.

Edited by JorgeA
new last sentence

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

A digital system is one that actually CAN achieve perfection.  That we are seeing people more and more willing to accept greater and greater IMperfection is disturbing indeed.  A what point does nothing work and people just stop trying to communicate?

Case in frigging point:  I was hoping to italicize the word "nothing" in the above sentence.  I pressed Control-I while I was typing.  Then, when I typed the very next character - the 'n' - the I stopped being highlighted and the n that appeared in the post was NOT italicized.

A ham sandwich is better than happiness. Why?

Well, nothing is better than happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore, a ham sandwich is better than happiness.  :)

Italics seem to be working OK (maybe it got fixed?). One of the "nothings" above was highlighted by selecting it and then doing Control-I, and the other by selecting the word and then clicking on the I in the menu. Hitting Control-I first and then typing nothing also seems to be working as expected.

I do remember that there used to be an annoying flaw in previous forum software, where if you selected a chunk of text to put in bold or italics, once you hit the B or the I the selected area would shift a character or two, something like this. I would have to go in and fix the formatting by hand. The new software appears to work better that way, at least in my case.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
addition

What I find really "queer" is that the board software does (seemingly) use CKEditor:
http://ckeditor.com/

With the same, "standard" configuration I use (browser and OS) , their demo page:
http://ckeditor.com/demo 
works flawlessly (at least in the few tests I made), and includes a "Source" button that toggles between WYSIWYG and HTML (as opposed to the WYSIWYG<>BBcode) that also works fine and allows (when needed) minor manual corrections.

This should mean that the IP guys managed to introduce *something* that effectively creates the "weird" behaviour I experience on the board (sometimes words are not selected, focus shifts to somewhere else for not apparent reason, moving the cursor to another area of the post, like inside/outside of a quote or code box is quirky, etc.).

jaclaz

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 0:29 PM, jaclaz said:

Didn't notice it, of course the new board software changed also that, but I can remove it since at least now the search has a "normal" magnifying glass icon instead of the senseless gear one (normally associated to "settings" or similar).

jaclaz

[ OT (again) ] ... except I discovered you HAVE to have a "search term' whereas it USED to search ALL on just the MemberName, unless I did something wrong? [ /OT ]

44 minutes ago, submix8c said:

[ OT (again) ] ... except I discovered you HAVE to have a "search term' whereas it USED to search ALL on just the MemberName, unless I did something wrong? [ /OT ]

In my experience, you do happen to do something "wrong" from time to time, but when compared on the amount of "wrong" things the IP guys do, you are a kid ;)

That is YET ANOTHER thing they broke, we will see if it is among the more than 600 (that is six hundred :w00t: ) bugs that allegedly they are going to fix in the 4.1.9 version (currently we are in 4.1.8).

If we can go linearly :unsure: that would probably be 600*18=10,800 bugs introduced since version 3.x, which must be a world record ...

jaclaz

[more OT] IPS v10 / IPB v10 / Windows 10 - same-o-same-o...

Still God-awful at 800x600 and I refuse to go 1024x768. May as well tell Win9x users using 15" VGA to go skip rope. :( Oh, and screw AB+ and NoScript in older FF. [ /more OT]

36 minutes ago, dencorso said:

@jaclaz: No, we ain't. xper already moved us to 4.1.9. :yes:

BTW: @jaclaz & @submix8c: Stop going "OT" and keep "OT", will you? :P

Well, than they were 601 and that one on the Search wasn't fixed. :whistle: performing a search "by Author" with an empty string results in:

Please enter a term to search for, or at least one tag.

WHILE previous versions of the board resulted into *ALL* posts  by the given Author, or all threads in which he/she posted (though limited to a given number of them, 1000 if I remember correctly).

Maybe you could make a spin-off of the thread moving to it all OT posts?

jaclaz

• xper changed the title to Discussion about IPB 4 forum upgrade