"View First Unread" Option Seldom-Working at Best

nostaglic98

Consistently having this issue with the forum for a long time now. 

Going to a thread where I've previously posted, I click on the link and find the thread doesn't jump straight to a new post. The option to manually jump to a new post seldom-appears, at the very best. Most of the time, I have to manually scroll my way through and figure out where I was last time, and where the discussion started since my last visit and/or post. 

Clearly the feature is there and does work for say "non-donating members" as it has worked a time or two. 

My usual browser is Chrome, OS X 10.6.8, sometimes seems to be a Mac-only issue, but I've noticed it on PC too. Cannot comment on other browsers, as I tend to avoid them - Chrome is the most efficient (particularly with Flush and JavaSludge...). Firefox and SeaMonkey seem to work more consistently - but i'm not keeping them open (with the resultant memory footprint) just to check MSFN. 

Anyone else note the problem?

The problem is where you need to click to get the result you want (go to the first unread post) has changed with the latest board update. (It has nothing at all to do with being a "donating" or "non-donating" member.  Now, if you hover over the "dot" that is in between the thread creator's avatar and the title of the thread, you should see some description text appear that says "Go to first unread post".  That "dot" is where you now need to click to get where you want to go.

Go_To_Unread.jpg.6380dabcfae3e47345d03fb

Edit: Be aware that the "dot" might also be a "star" depending on whether you have replied to the topic or not, but the location and effect is the same.

EDIT2: Also, apparently this is more messed up than I thought, because the "dot" or "star" is not always there, in which case clicking the thread title seems to work, correctly?  I also thought it might be a Mac issue, but then it might just be totally screwed up as you originally complained.  Anyway, Good Luck!

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks for posting, and your tip seems to be working (for now, at least!)

The issues have been noted for about 2yrs now, although I hadn't felt compelled to write until now. Perhaps that feature was there before and I didn't notice? 

Also:

that would be:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175325-forum-upgrade-bugs-and-errors-only/?page=4#comment-1120597

if the stupid WYSIWYG editor didn't post a senseless one line preview of it, instead of the link.

jaclaz

It did its stupid, one-line preview of the post. 

Done that for *every one* of the MSFN posts I've tried linking. Its rather frustrating. People can go and look for themselves. They don't need the forum to do it for them. 

That's why jaclaz changed the "http" to "hxxp" in his posted "link" to foil the dastardly board software. MUWAHAHAHA! :)

But if you hadn't noticed, if you click the "title" of the preview, it will usually take to where the link was pointing, even though showing the preview was often a waste of time and bandwidth for both you and the board.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Noticed the discussion about pasting links...  Just trying it out...

This is a link to a specific post.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174208-windows-10-deeper-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1120769

This is a link to a thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174344-uninstall-cortana-from-windows-10/

These seem to preview okay...  I wonder if they'll look right or get interpreted somehow upon actual posting.

Posting with IE11 here.

-Noel

The preview is nothing new, but it often doesn't seem to help. The only 2 forums that I've seen it used on was here and AutoIT. They never have enough info in the preview to help much with anything, especially if the linked topic has some code or a bunch of technical info. I don't understand what is meant to be achieved by showing a line or two of the linked topic when posted into a thread.

Anyways, it seems to me that links are not making previews anymore?

Not a big deal at all, but since we're trying to call attention to bugs that xper might either be able to fix, or report to IPB as a bug, this morning when I logged on an opened my "Unread" stream, I was surprised to see this post - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175367-xp-post-sp3-qfe-tampered-by-code-injection-i-pmed-one-of-the-folks-at-ryan-vm/?do=findComment&comment=1121027 - in my "Unread" stream.  I was surprised to see that the board thought that was unread since I wrote that post. :)  A very small glitch, but a glitch nonetheless.

Cheers and Regards