98se + official m$ updates ?

the4anoni

Microsoft unfortunately discontinued the Windows Update website for Windows 98 several years back. Trying to visit now in 2016 will simply send you on a redirect loop. That said, when it was working, I only ever say about 16 updates available for download for a clean-installation I did... So it probably wasn't complete for a very long time. 

My suggestion for obtaining Windows 9x updates without so much of the un-official customisation time has brought would be to use one of the utilities here:http://www.mdgx.com/spx/

In my experience, it seemed as though the "auto patcher" suite tended to work best in my situation, although it requires many reboots which may be a pain on slower systems. That said, it worked great and did improve the installation on my system. 

In the 9X development forum, you should also see some information on newer, supported projects such as the UnOfficial Service Pack (USP?) and so on. 

"Unattended Boot CD" aka "UBCD98SE" (a removed topic) if you can find it somewhere does all that Autopatcher does from a Clean or Upgrade Install from CD. Be aware that it contains a small amount of "warez" so the topic was removed. (Yes, I have it as I participated in the construction as well as AutoPatcher and NO I won't hand it out or search the WWW for it for you and link to it. You're on your own...)

AFAIK for Polish 98se there is something called "winspatcher". This have official updates ,but i must install us 98se because i must change keyboard (qwertz [deutsch]). I doesn't understand deutsch very well.... Also some programs doesn't works correcly...

Ps.Why i can't change keyboard to qwertz on Polish 98se ?

Edited by the4anoni

I've never installed/used a localized version of 98SE so dunno if this is possible but in the the US version in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup there should be an option called Multilanguage Support with five subcategories: Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, Turkish. You may enable them all but make sure you have the installation CD (or files) at hand. Then in Control Panel > Text Services you may add the desired keyboard layout(s).

If Multilanguage Support is not available in localized Windows 98SE then you may have to install the US version and make sure Multilanguage Support is enabled at install time (choose 'Custom' installation when given the choice).