Forum Upgrade Bugs and Errors Only

xper

And, when the ampersand is correctly parsed/rendered, it is actually resolved to:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163489-startisback-175/?page=52#comment-1120528

besides the stupid reference to "page" introduced sometimes in 3.x version (that was, is and will be extremely stupid), the good ol' reference still works:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163489-startisback-175/?p=1120528

As usual they are changing everything to change nothing.

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, it's nice to see that I am not the only one struggling with the stupid new interface, if even the Admin (and undoubtedly the most expert on the speciifc software :)) has issues with properly using Quotes when replying, on the latest OS and with the latest browser.

I don't know what caused that blank space in my previous post, sorry, I did a few tests, attempted to move around the "scrolling preview" of the url link, cannot say, this WYSIWYG has seemingly a life of its own, and does whatever it sees fitting without an apparent logic or fully reproducible manner (at least in my inexpert hands and on my browser).

About BBcode (if it still exists in the new iteration of the board) it is not (as I see it) brain surgery or rocket science, it is just an extremely simple and primitive form of "markup language", whether it has specifically some new, weird syntax or not, it is something that has been managed fine over the last 15 years or more by the whole world, I fail to see any particular issue with it, at least for it's most commonly used tags, like quote, list, code, codebox, etc. this same board has (slightly) changed the syntax of the language in past updates without creating particular problems (if not the botching of pre-existing code/codebox content that happened, one way or the other, on ALL updates on ALL boards).

jaclaz

Having read somewhere, a response from IPS regarding the removal of BBCode in the original 4.0 that came out last year. Their reckoning was that BBCode was needed in days before WYSIWYG editors, but now that WYSIWYG editors are here then they do not need to rely on them so much. They seem to forget that people learn to type a certain way, like those who learned to type on T9 on a phone. It isn't simply "just click this button instead" for people like us. I've been typing in bbcode on forums for over 15 years now. To type in img or url or whatever, I type it in manually. Maybe they had expected people were clicking buttons on toolbars that automatically did the bbcode for them?

Either way, it is silly to change to a new system that doesn't build upon the previous (bbcode) system.

Just now, Tripredacus said:

Either way, it is silly to change to a new system that doesn't build upon the previous (bbcode) system.

Allow me to slightly disagree, in the sense that is not like BBcode was a "perfect" solution, nor that it is "carved in stone" anywhere, I am not at all against a whole new markup language, let's say HTML or *whatever* as long as it provides the same (or better) capabilities, not less and particularly when it behaves erratically (as an example on my Opera the backspace works sometimes and sometimes not), offer NOT a clear view of where the focus is, the cursor jumps wherever it sees fit WHILE you are typing and invariably the WYSIWYG goes through an intermediate WYSINWYTBRWIBISLL (What You See Is Not What You Typed But Rather What I Believe It Should Look Like).

And if I want to paste a LINK to a page (or a picture, or a video), I want to paste a LINK to it, not a preview of it, if I actually wanted a preview I could use (even in WYSIWYG) the corresponding button to embed it in the post.

I am perfectly OK even to learn a whole new markup language (as said it is not rocket science) as long as it will allow me to express myself EXACTLY in the way I want, having posted formatted, highlighted, bolded, etc. the way I want them to look[1] without making it so inconvenient, difficult or downright impossible, and as said in this I am a "good guy" attempting to post as much as I can with a proper grammar, proper punctuation and readable formatting, even if a number of members completely missed this aspect of politeness towards the readers even until now when it was possible.

If the idea is to have, instead of a technical board, something more similar to WhatsApp than anything else, they are doing it right.

jaclaz

[1]which NOT necessarily is what the demented guys over there think is now "cool" or "trendy"

2 hours ago, ender` said:

Since I'm talking about the plain-text part of the message, there's nothing to parse - the URL shouldn't be &-encoded in the first place (the unfollow URL is fine).

But the board software knows best!  It knows an http link when it sees it, so it parses it accordingly.  It doesn't care what you want or how you meant it.  It fully expects you to be using your phone, or at most a tablet, so it's trying to make it easy on you to minimize your required typing.  Typing on a screen with your thumbs is so awkward, after all.  And they're just following along after MS.  They started this whole madness, culminating in the mess that is Windows 10.  (Apologies to xper and the other fans of Windows 10.  I don't intend to start a flame war.  It's great that you have a system that works well for you, and I support that, as long as it doesn't mess up what works for me.)  Like jaclaz, I'm also quite willing to learn a new equivalent system with equal or greater capabilities.  I'm even willing to work around differences in the system depending on which board I'm on.  BBCode is slightly different on RyanVM than what was used here, so it caused the need for some occasional edits to correct things, but it was consistent and understandable, so no big deal.

And while I appreciate IPB concentrating on making their code work best with the latest machines and OS, remember, those modern OS are not the majority, and at their current rate of acceptance I don't know if they ever will be.

Cheers and Regards

30 minutes ago, Drugwash said:

When faced with the choice of 'my way or the highway' I invariably choose the latter. Since I'm now faceless I would like to completely remove my profile here. How can this be achieved?

I noticed your avatar disappeared, are you not able to upload it again? We don't delete accounts, especially ones with as many posts as you have here.

The avatar is just a small part of the issue but to reply to your question, no, I see absolutely no option to add/edit/remove an avatar whatsoever.
There is also no 'Save this topic' button at the bottom as it used to be.
Notification e-mails do not link to first unread post in a topic as before but to a specific post, which means some posts may get missed if notifications keep coming in a not-so-timely fashion or most of them are blocked/sent to spam as the imbecils at AOL keep doing (I had to disable spam protection in order to get MSFN notifications in Inbox, but now I'll delete the AOL account altogether due to their new moronic interface that plagued the IT world).

Anyway, the interface is the big issue and is something I cannot and will not accept. Stability is what I cherish most in life and what seems to be blown up in every aspect of it lately. Microsoft and their one-size-fits-all policy that everyone seems to embrace may go to he|| for what I care.

In the meantime, as a side note and just to prove *something* (in order to avoid some of the bullsh*t around the issue), I have quickly tested:

CKeditor:

http://ckeditor.com/demo

WSYBB:

http://www.wysibb.com/demo/

MarkitUP:

http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/examples/bbcode/

SCEditor:

http://www.sceditor.com/

and a couple more similar editors and ALL OF THEM seemingly work nicely[1] (within their own limits and within the specific BBCode or xhtml "dialect") with the same configuration (OS and browser)  that I am using  (and same lack of specific competence) here, the difference is that in this specific board implementation of CKeditor COMPLETELY FAILS to work correctly.

So let's stop putting the blame on CKeditor, it is the specific implementation in IPB that creates the issues, whether by mistake, overlook or design doesn't really matter.

jaclaz

[1] particularly the switch between WYSIWYG and "source code" exists and works fine in ALL of them

Not sure if this is a bug/error, or if it belongs in the "how-to's" thread, but here goes:

How does one change the typeface used in a post? Note that I'm not referring to using boldfacing, coloring, or strikeouts -- I mean changing from Arial (or whatever this current font is) to, say, Times Roman.

Posting here in case it's a bug or an oversight.

--JorgeA

I don't know that you'd call this a "bug" exactly, but it's now taking something like 9 seconds for the forum to display my stream:

9Seconds.thumb.png.ef07111b1c311bdaf9905

The stream is nothing special...

ThreadsIvePostedIn.png.47bb441e2d1200fc2

I'm going to try to set it to 7 days to try to speed it up, which of course will cause potentially interesting information to fall beyond the horizon if I don't happen to come back within a week.

But the root issue is that what's shown above is not really what I want to see, since it dredges up a big list of posts.  Trouble is, there's apparently no way to set the output so that I could see what would be most useful:  A list of TOPICS that I've posted in and which have had activity most recently.

That was doable with the prior forum software, but I don't see a way to achieve it now.  This could just be unfamiliarity on my part with the new board capabilities.

Does anyone know a way to get a list of TOPICS I've posted in, sorted newest on top, with links to the most recent posts in each?

Oh, and Jorge, you can use an external editor - e.g., Word - to create a post in any font you'd like.  Just paste in in.  That's not ideal - it would be best if the editor here allowed font selection - but it could serve in a pinch if you just can't get a thought right without Comic Sans.  :)

-Noel

^^ LOL

Do you know if it's a matter of @xper's flipping a switch somewhere or tweaking a setting to re-enable font selection, or does the New & Improved Board SoftwareTM simply lack that option altogether?

It would be really clunky to have to create a post in a word processor first, only to then insert it into the reply box here.

--JorgeA

My understanding is that the forum editor is a module that can be swapped out, but I don't know the specifics.  Xper has said something about having tried to swap in a module that does BBCode, so it's possible that may bring along with it an editing capability with a font selector as well - but you'll need to hear the specifics from him.

-Noel

10 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Do you know if it's a matter of @xper's flipping a switch somewhere or tweaking a setting to re-enable font selection, or does the New & Improved Board SoftwareTM simply lack that option altogether?

You mean this?