Forum Upgrade Bugs and Errors Only

xper

There was a change to the msfn website on sunday that has rendered it unusable under FF2 / Netscape 9.  Prior to that, FF2 was able to render and interact with the site fairly well.  I'm using Opera 12.02 to create this post.  I've tried changing the user-agent in FF2 to more modern versions of chrome, FF and IE but none of them bring back the prior functionality.

If MSFN is going to continue to host forums for win-9x/me users, then some consideration should be made that the site should be usable for people using those older OS's and the limitations of the browsers running on them.

• xper changed the title to Forum Upgrade Bugs and Errors Only
  • xper pinned this topic

I'm going to try and replicate here a problem that Trip and I discovered in a PM.

I tried to send him a link for a post over at Ryan's, this one:

1) "http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141189#141189" - that was just pasting the text into the post.

These days I usually do this by manually surrounding the pasted text link in [ url ] tags, like this:

2) [ url ]http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141189#141189[ /url ], so let's try it - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141189#141189

Of course I know that I can use the link button, so let's try that here:

3) http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141189#141189

OK, I'm now confused.  In the post preview all four of the above "links" point to the correct place, regardless if an actual link was created by me or if it was just pasted text. While in my PM, for the link inside [ url ] tags, the board software left the printed test alone and correct, but the link itself pointed to - http://www.msfn.org/board/messenger/98587/%7Boption%7D - and so was broken.  It is still that way in the PM thread and Trip can verify it for you.  If necessary, I would be glad to include you, xper, in the conversation so you can see the issue if that would help.

I'm now going to post this.  I'll come back and edit this post to tell you if the act of posting changes anything.

EDIT:  Yep, posting changes things somehow.  The link above after "let's try it" is broken.  Any clues?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Another issue.

Could you please check on why the notification settings that sends emails out if someone sends me a message or comments on things I follow is locked on and can't be turned off?  I do not want to receive an email of any kind unless it is an actual email with real content that is addressed specifically to me, preferably from someone I know and want to have a conversation with..  Otherwise I consider it to be spam.  As it is, when someone sends me a PM, I get the PM, I get a notification that I got a PM, and I get an email that I got a PM.  Others might consider that convenient, but I don't.  I always disable all automatic emails from any and all forums I participate in, including this one.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

24 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

Another issue.

Could you please check on why the notification settings that sends emails out if someone sends me a message or comments on things I follow is locked on and can't be turned off?  I do not want to receive an email of any kind unless it is an actual email with real content that is addressed specifically to me, preferably from someone I know and want to have a conversation with..  Otherwise I consider it to be spam.  As it is, when someone sends me a PM, I get the PM, I get a notification that I got a PM, and I get an email that I got a PM.  Others might consider that convenient, but I don't.  I always disable all automatic emails from any and all forums I participate in, including this one.

Cheers and Regards

I changed some permission's. Please try now.

Only to add to bphlt previous post, if I use the stupid "link" button I can have an actual link (to a specific post on another board):

http://reboot.pro/topic/19516-hack-bootmgr-to-boot-windows-in-bios-to-gpt/?p=198148

But if I paste just the URL, I have a senseless scrollable preview of the board that points to the THREAD (first post) .

Actually, once posted it becomes a senseless empty (almost invisible) border around nothing.

I will repeat that unless there is some way to manually control/edit the contents (like BBcode was) it is impossible (to me at least) to use the board at all.

Or (very possibly) I am getting too old (and grumpy). :ph34r:

jaclaz

17 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Only to add to bphlt previous post, if I use the stupid "link" button I can have an actual link (to a specific post on another board):

http://reboot.pro/topic/19516-hack-bootmgr-to-boot-windows-in-bios-to-gpt/?p=198148

But if I paste just the URL, I have a senseless scrollable preview of the board that points to the THREAD (first post) .

Actually, once posted it becomes a senseless empty (almost invisible) border around nothing.

I will repeat that unless there is some way to manually control/edit the contents (like BBcode was) it is impossible (to me at least) to use the board at all.

Or (very possibly) I am getting too old (and grumpy). :ph34r:

jaclaz

I don't get this. Why so much empty spice in almost every post? As for other issues. I still work on many of them.

jaclaz.png

14 minutes ago, xper said:

I will repeat that unless there is some way to manually control/edit the contents (like BBcode was)

Please note that currently no official standard exists for the BBCode markup language, so its implementation for different platforms may vary. This means that before using CKEditor to output BBCode you might need to adjust the default implementation to your own environment.

45 minutes ago, xper said:

Please note that currently no official standard exists for the BBCode markup language

Even without an "official standard", BBCode has been successfully used in all forums that I have ever been involved with for at least 10 years and maybe as much as 15.  So this sounds like nothing more than an excuse and is bull****.  (No offense meant to you, xper.)  IPB is really alienating their customer base, even more than they usually do. I know of at least one of their current customers that is very seriously considering switching to a different board software provider.

Cheers and Regards

Well, it's nice to see that I am not the only one struggling with the stupid new interface, if even the Admin (and undoubtedly the most expert on the speciifc software :)) has issues with properly using Quotes when replying, on the latest OS and with the latest browser.

I don't know what caused that blank space in my previous post, sorry, I did a few tests, attempted to move around the "scrolling preview" of the url link, cannot say, this WYSIWYG has seemingly a life of its own, and does whatever it sees fitting without an apparent logic or fully reproducible manner (at least in my inexpert hands and on my browser).

About BBcode (if it still exists in the new iteration of the board) it is not (as I see it) brain surgery or rocket science, it is just an extremely simple and primitive form of "markup language", whether it has specifically some new, weird syntax or not, it is something that has been managed fine over the last 15 years or more by the whole world, I fail to see any particular issue with it, at least for it's most commonly used tags, like quote, list, code, codebox, etc. this same board has (slightly) changed the syntax of the language in past updates without creating particular problems (if not the botching of pre-existing code/codebox content that happened, one way or the other, on ALL updates on ALL boards).

jaclaz

4 hours ago, bphlpt said:

Even without an "official standard", BBCode has been successfully used in all forums that I have ever been involved with for at least 10 years and maybe as much as 15.  So this sounds like nothing more than an excuse and is bull****.  (No offense meant to you, xper.)  IPB is really alienating their customer base, even more than they usually do. I know of at least one of their current customers that is very seriously considering switching to a different board software provider.

Cheers and Regards

No offence taken. Anyway, tried to implement bbcode in the actual editor without success. Will keep trying.