Forum Upgrade Bugs and Errors Only

xper

Unlock of a topic is no longer available for MSFN Forum Developers. :ph34r:

In Code boxes the Returns are missing so that all the code is one sentence. :ph34r:

Have a look here ....

Posts are reformatted with double spacing ........ This forum update is a quite a pain .....

Editing posts existing before the forum update is impossible (text for editing is NOT available) :ph34r:

Edited by wimb

Basically, the entire site is now broken:

Broken navigation bookmarks
No menus for navigating
Miniscule fonts
Horrendous layout
Question marks everywhere

Enabling Javascript used to cause a ten-folder delay in page loading (from ~10 to ~100 seconds). Now it does absolutely nothing. Pages load quickly but are almost completely unreadable. Site is now unusable in Firefox 2.

And Opera 10.63 is only a little better--font size and layout are readable, but site is still largely unusable.

And gray on gray text is still as invisible as before. Highlighting produces gray on light gray which can be read with difficulty. Selecting All produces obnoxious contrast, but is the only way to quickly read most of the headers and footers.

No Reply or Quotes options, only "Quick" reply box at bottom.
Preview Post reloads page with deleted reply!

Board can't handle user logged in with two separate browsers at same time.
Sign in page doesn't "Remember me"
Check boxes are not aligned with clickable area.

Since Preview Post doesn't work, all carriage returns will likely be deleted.
If you are reading this, then at least Submit Reply works. :)

Signatures are double-spaced even more than regular text.
My post does have an Edit option (but still no Quote or Reply on others)
Edit loads the text in a narrow Required box and has Cancel and Save options, but not Preview.
The Browse button is useless as there is no Attach button to go with it.
The Reason for Edit box is a nice addition.
There are no recent posts shown for context as before.

I checked my signature in Settings and found that it has been modified--all line breaks have been doubled.

Edited by jumper
New info about Signatures

IMHO (and I know I will be flamed for this), the right settings are:

1. SINGLE "newline" spacing (the double spacing ONLY makes things worse on posts.
  2. Make the board accept again newline characters so that INTENTIONAL double-spacing f line is allowed, while single line spacing is possible
  3. IF #2 is not possible, people willing ot double-space lines should learn to use SHIFT+Enter

Anyway most of the formatting functions (as an example I had to go through a number of hops to get the above numbered list and the present following text remains indented as I seemingly cannot exit the "numbered list") do not work properly (at least in my Opera), and we do NEED something *like* the good ol' BBcode mode, most people did not care with proper formatting/setting of posts at the time the user interface was easy to use and worked, now that it is almost impossible to have anything look the way it should, more people among the ones that did care won't bother anymore and little by little the "wuality" (in the sense of appearance, readability) of posts will lower, as everyone will feel allowed to use the board like WhatsApp :ph34r:

jaclaz

1 hour ago, wimb said:

Unlock of a topic is no longer available for MSFN Forum Developers. :ph34r:

In Code boxes the Returns are missing so that all the code is one sentence. :ph34r:

Have a look here ....

Posts are reformatted with double spacing ........ This forum update is a quite a pain .....

Editing posts existing before the forum update is impossible (text for editing is NOT available) :ph34r:

Is that Code box?

7 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

1. SINGLE "newline" spacing (the double spacing ONLY makes things worse on posts.
  2. Make the board accept again newline characters so that INTENTIONAL double-spacing f line is allowed, while single line spacing is possible
  3. IF #2 is not possible, people willing ot double-space lines should learn to use SHIFT+Enter

Anyway most of the formatting functions (as an example I had to go through a number of hops to get the above numbered list and the present following text remains indented as I seemingly cannot exit the "numbered list") do not work properly (at least in my Opera), and we do NEED something *like* the good ol' BBcode mode, most people did not care with proper formatting/setting of posts at the time the user interface was easy to use and worked, now that it is almost impossible to have anything look the way it should, more people among the ones that did care won't bother anymore and little by little the "wuality" (in the sense of appearance, readability) of posts will lower, as everyone will feel allowed to use the board like WhatsApp :ph34r:

jaclaz

The issue is that IPB4 has the correct css paragraph styling and IPB3 had it wrong. In IPB4 if you want a new paragraph (i.e. the paragraph is separated by some whitespace) then you just press enter once and you get this:

<p>First para</p>
<p>Second para</p>

Perfect html.  If you want lines bunched together you can use Shift+Enter to get <br>.

On IPB3 if you wanted a new paragraph you had to press enter twice to get the correct spacing so you would end up with:

<p>First para</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Second para</p>

This looks "double spaced" on IPB4 so you have two choices:

Option 1: Add the CSS above and work in the same "broken" way as IPB3

Option 2: Leave the new more-correct spacing style but accept that all your old posts will look like crap. If your users are happy that old posts look weird then it's the best way to go - but it's not pretty.

What is needed is option 3:

Option 3: Leave the new spacing style but fix up old posts by removing erroneous <p>&nbsp;</p>

It's not that easy to achieve though. Once you start having posts with multiple blank lines together it's tricky to process. If IPS didn't already consider this for the upgrade routine then I doubt they will now. I'm not sure if I can be bothered to code it as a custom mod for my upgrade either.

That's the way IPS works now. There is no much i can do about it. IPB 4 is designed and programmed for modern OS's, browsers, resolutions etc. Only issue I have is paragraph spacing. 

What's the Reply/Preview Post box doing at the bottom of the Discover:All Activity page?

Hand typed BB codes:
hr:

list=1
/list

Before
  1. list
  2. One
  3. Two

After

Bold
    italic
    underline

:) :yes: :thumbup

On Edit, I see that all the BB codes have been converted to HTML. The /list tag is not being recognized so a matching /li /ol is added at the end. Let's try using HTML directly:
Before
  1. list
  2. One
  3. Two

After

Also emoticons are not recognized:
:crazy: :ph34r:

but are honored in existed posts....

Some reprocessing of the HTML is still being done [:(]

And if I don't terminate with a CR, we get>>> Edited by jumper

So, basically, to have something looking minimally “correct”, people will need to compose posts in Word or in an external html editor and then copy and paste it.

Really is it possible to have viewable BBcodes (or html) so that the (few and going to become fewer) people that do care about proper composition and formatting of a post are not forced into “plain text”?

And though I can understand how the IPB people would want to support new OS, browsers etc, I do not believe (nor anyone will ever be able to convince me about this) that they do have to break compatibility with "older" operating systems (or browsers, etc.).

The WYSIWYG editor in IPB sucked, sucks and will suck, but there are limits, multiquoting, i.e. taking snippets of a previous post to reply to single points was all in all doable (using BBcode and manual editing) in an easy way, *like*:

how exactly can it be done now?

Please understand how I DID NOT WANT to have the stupid "quote" box above, what I pasted was a SIMPLE LINK, like:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175222-using-quote-and-multiquote-on-replies/

and the STUPID WYSIWYG editor decided to CHANGE it the way IT liked it to be. :(

Sorry, xper, I know that you are a "victim" (like all the users) of the senseless changes the IPB guys made, but this is frustrating (besides preoccupying).

jaclaz 

50 minutes ago, xper said:

Is that Code box?

No.

The problem is illustrated here with a ScreenCapture of my old existing post:

CodeBox-2016-03-14_121550.thumb.png.dae3

which should read as illustrated by adding in this post new Code Box (use <> option) as:

rem ==
rem == CreaPartMBR-Disk5.txt ==
rem ==
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to create three partitions
rem == for a UEFI/MBR-based portable USB-harddisk that can be used by UEFI_MULTI.exe.
rem == Adjust disk number and partition sizes and label as necessary.
rem ==
select disk 5
clean
rem == 1. EFI Boot partition FAT32 20 GB - WinPE 8/10 x64 WIM files UEFI /BIOS booting ========
create partition primary size=20000
format quick fs=fat32 label="U-BOOT"
assign
active
rem == 2. Windows partition NTFS 100 GB - UEFI 8/10 x64 VHD files - BIOS XP/7/8/10 VHD ========
create partition primary size=100000
format quick fs=ntfs label="U-SYSTEM"
assign
rem == 3. Data partition NTFS - 7/8/10 ISO files for Install with WinNTSetup ==================
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="U-DATA"
assign
list volume
exit
rem ==
rem == Info https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898504(v=vs.85).aspx
rem == Info https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825677.aspx
rem ==
rem == In admin command window use: DiskPart /s G:\CreaPartMBR-Disk5.txt
rem ==

:)

Edited by wimb

50 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

jaclaz

Since you have asked for flaming, I'm happy to oblige.  (no "mischief" emoticon I can see in the standard list, need a devil smiley)

I think you may be straddling the line between "something's wrong" and "resistance to change", jaclaz.

If you type tomes of text, it's a bit easier to type a new paragraph just by pressing Enter once.
It's still possible to use Shift-Enter to do a single-spaced line, as I have done here, and this is more consistent with other tools/sites.

1. Not having much trouble
  2. Making a numbered list
  3. Here, using the button

And

• A bulleted list
  • seems equally easy
  • to create

Font manipulation seems possible.

Code in a Code Box seems readable, and can be edited with double-click.

::
:TOOLS_ERROR
::
    ECHO.
    ECHO ERROR:  Not all the tools needed could be found.
    GOTO CLEAN_UP

I had some problems editing the line following the code box, then it started working, so that's a bit quirky.

-Noel

I wonder if CSS could make the vertical spacing of a "new line" and "paragraph" closer together (so that single- and double-spacing, using the ancient lingo, are just more dense).

I have to say, from my perspective I don't mind the relatively tall vertical spacing, but I tend to use browser windows that are the size and shape of a normal sheet of paper (which I think is probably uncommon), so I don't feel the space crunch as much.

SmallScreenGrab.thumb.png.0cfaeb4c854dee

-Noel