Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Dibya

Windows XP is still king

Recommended Posts

@all participating in our XP mega-hijack: :P

I intend to move all the XP-themed posts and related posts from this thread to "Windows XP is still king" sometime at the week-end.
I hope nobody objects to this move, but if so, please, do speak now or forever hold your peace. :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dencorso said:

@all participating in our XP mega-hijack: :P

I intend to move all the XP-themed posts and related posts from this thread to "Windows XP is still king" sometime at the week-end.
I hope nobody objects to this move, but if so, please, do speak now or forever hold your peace. :yes:

55775317.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope
fully dunctional DWM works with XP drivers on early vista versions
it relies on .net 2 and DirectX 9

//samuka can't do nothing, he's using leaked WRK which is not x64 and uses butchered parts of alchi components and some reactOS ... things
he never even managed to port DWM, all he does is some compatibility layer for vista apps to work on "XP"
 

Edited by vinifera
x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, vinifera said:

nope
fully dunctional DWM works with XP drivers on early vista versions
it relies on .net 2 and DirectX 9

//samuka can't do nothing, he's using leaked WRK which is not x64 and uses butchered parts of alchi components and some reactOS ... things
he never even managed to port DWM, all he does is some compatibility layer for vista apps to work on "XP"
 

DWM from vista beta is ported by him . You cannot say whether he can do it or not . Because Will of doing something is biggest power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that wasn't port
that was vista with 2k3 recompiled kernel
you can see bunch of his "builds" just being server 03 with different kernel number stiffed with some vista beta files
while he used true transparency and simmiliar emulating visuals

nobody ever yet ported DWM to XP
the closest was Stardock with winblinds 6 that actually used GPU for transparency and blur
but that wasn't compositor, just their own com object for skinning shell

every other imitation apps used brute CPU power which lagged the shizzle of the OS

Edited by vinifera
x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK’s Nuclear Submarines run Windows XP.

"Installed in 2008 and then saving £22 million due to using commercial off the shelf technology rather than proprietary software, the  Submarine Command System Next Generation (SMCS NG) powers the  HMS Vanguard, Victorious, Vigilant, and Vengeance, four of the deadliest ships ever built, featuring eight Trident II missiles and a total of 40 nuclear warheads.

Together they form UK’s entire nuclear deterrent, being ever ready to respond to a surprise nuclear attack on the United Kingdom. We have not heard of any problem with the system over the years, and it's based on Windows XP OS".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FranceBB said:

UK’s Nuclear Submarines run Windows XP.

"Installed in 2008 and then saving £22 million due to using commercial off the shelf technology rather than proprietary software, the  Submarine Command System Next Generation (SMCS NG) powers the  HMS Vanguard, Victorious, Vigilant, and Vengeance, four of the deadliest ships ever built, featuring eight Trident II missiles and a total of 40 nuclear warheads.

Together they form UK’s entire nuclear deterrent, being ever ready to respond to a surprise nuclear attack on the United Kingdom. We have not heard of any problem with the system over the years, and it's based on Windows XP OS".

OOPS cause they know xp is secure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why the published results of "no new exploits" are being interpreted as "XP is secure".  It seems to me vulnerabilities are primarily found in the OS that's got the widest distribution, because that's where the ROI is for malware writers.

It's probably also true that systems running XP are more isolated from typical exploit vectors.  For example, kids aren't downloading the latest OMG It's Cool game (that's laden with malware) onto old XP systems.  They're likely running (and messing up) newer systems.  XP, being run on more conservative, older systems, is simply more insulated from problems.

And is every older vulnerability fixed?  I have never heard that patches have eliminated all vulnerabilities.

Looked at another way, is there any evidence that all the exploits reported against Win 7 (or various applications/add-ons e.g., Office or Flash) don't ALSO infect XP?  I guess you could say that exploits against IE 11 might not apply to whatever version of IE that XP runs, but it's not a certainty.  There's still some code commonality, as there is in the rest of the system.  It's not like Win 7 and newer are all complete rewrites.

It seems to me things are being oversimplified here.

I wonder whether sysadmins here can relate recent experience fixing systems - are people bringing XP systems in with infections to be eliminated?

I'm not trying to dis XP.  I'm just trying to understand what the reports really mean, and to help prevent a possible false sense of security from getting readers of this site into trouble.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NoelC said:

It seems to me things are being oversimplified here.

Actually they are over-oversimplified, and not only here.

It simply makes no sense saying that system x is more secure than system y, because you never have the counter evidence, system x may be resistant to attack #1 (while system y is not) and system y may be resistant to attack #2 (while system x is not) and both may be non resistant to attack #3.

jaclaz
 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dencorso said:

Is it... safe? :P

Well, since submarines running XP are not connected to internet, you need physical access to the computers to actually "hack" XP. And... well, if you have someone who actually managed to sneak into a nuclear submarine to get control of it, the OS version running on computers is the last thing you are concerned about xD

Edited by FranceBB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NoelC said:

I don't know why the published results of "no new exploits" are being interpreted as "XP is secure".  It seems to me vulnerabilities are primarily found in the OS that's got the widest distribution, because that's where the ROI is for malware writers.

It's probably also true that systems running XP are more isolated from typical exploit vectors.  For example, kids aren't downloading the latest OMG It's Cool game (that's laden with malware) onto old XP systems.  They're likely running (and messing up) newer systems.  XP, being run on more conservative, older systems, is simply more insulated from problems.

And is every older vulnerability fixed?  I have never heard that patches have eliminated all vulnerabilities.

Looked at another way, is there any evidence that all the exploits reported against Win 7 (or various applications/add-ons e.g., Office or Flash) don't ALSO infect XP?  I guess you could say that exploits against IE 11 might not apply to whatever version of IE that XP runs, but it's not a certainty.  There's still some code commonality, as there is in the rest of the system.  It's not like Win 7 and newer are all complete rewrites.

It seems to me things are being oversimplified here.

I wonder whether sysadmins here can relate recent experience fixing systems - are people bringing XP systems in with infections to be eliminated?

I'm not trying to dis XP.  I'm just trying to understand what the reports really mean, and to help prevent a possible false sense of security from getting readers of this site into trouble.

-Noel

Exploit kits are pre pogramed hex editor only they edit your vulnerable to specific jump of their code caves which are malicious.

Ie8 has code of IE11 , it does not mean their RVA or File offset will be same . SO the hackers exploit kit will go made out of finding patch mechanism.

I really became half death of hearing that XP means old computer . Hello Ladies and gentle men i am here to say no one in my locality runs XP without pentium D or I3 or Core 2 duo with at least 2gb ram so from which hell the word old is coming they can run anything even modern AA Games with a good GFX card .

Edited by Dibya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...