Windows XP is still king

Dibya

Of course it is. And it fits quite nicely a straight line gently sloping downward y = -0.306 * x + 12.118, in which y is the market share percentage and x the number of months... and suggesting Windows XP has at least two more years to go before falling below 5%... :yes:

Graph2.png

The XP figure probably also includes Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which Microsoft is still supplying to new customers to this day. XP-based versions of Windows are still king of the hill when it comes to ATMs, POS terminals, and kiosks.

On 3/12/2016 at 9:06 AM, vwestlife said:

The XP figure probably also includes Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which Microsoft is still supplying to new customers to this day. XP-based versions of Windows are still king of the hill when it comes to ATMs, POS terminals, and kiosks.

... Despite the "Cries of terror" from certain individuals who maintain XP *will* compromise every last bit of private information.

12 hours ago, nostaglic98 said:

... Despite the "Cries of terror" from certain individuals who maintain XP *will* compromise every last bit of private information.

Really , 89% Exploits occurs in nt6.x series.

45 minutes ago, JodyT said:

Now to be fair, that's because there are more installations of Windows NT 6x, right?  Obscurity doesn't make XP more secure in it's own right.

Donot forget posready updates are there

surely nt6.x have more installation.

Security from obscurity never obtains, no matter what people wants to believe.
But posready updates, lack of 6x-only OS-functionality and lack of telemetry, taken together, may actually add some more security to XP, after all. :dubbio:

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

Security from obscurity never obtains, no matter what people wants to believe.

But it is not a case of "security by obscurity", it is a case of "security through having small(er)  relevance (inside a large mass)", i.e. it is the swarm/school surviving approach, actually more the "selfish herd" one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfish_herd_theory

jaclaz

"A new report reveals that the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is still running Windows XP on 19,500 computers out of their 27,000 total units. In the meantime, the Police keeps paying millions of pounds to Microsoft for custom support, as Microsoft keeps providing patches and security fixes for Windows XP according to a deal that expires in April 2017. It’s not yet clear if authorities plan to extend this deal or not".

Still, I would really like to know whether their updates are different from ours (issues affecting XP that don't affect POS units).

11 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Still, I would really like to know whether their updates are different from ours (issues affecting XP that don't affect POS units).

Probably not because, once created, it would be zero cost to push the hotfix onto all POSReady too... unless, as you presumed, its for some thing not present on POSReady... but, at the end of the day, I strongly doubt any of those things not present on POSReady would ever need a security update... and the only outstanding compatibility issue is with Intel's USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, but I do believe that anything as important as that would certainly leak sooner or later, hence I'm sure things like that don't actually exist, up to now. Of course these are just my own 2 ¢, but you did ask for a conjecture, now, didn't you?

53 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Probably not because, once created, it would be zero cost to push the hotfix onto all POSReady too... unless, as you presumed, its for some thing not present on POSReady... but, at the end of the day, I strongly doubt any of those things not present on POSReady would ever need a security update... and the only outstanding compatibility issue is with Intel's USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, but I do believe that anything as important as that would certainly leak sooner or later, hence I'm sure things like that don't actually exist, up to now. Of course these are just my own 2 ¢, but you did ask for a conjecture, now, didn't you?

Correct Dencorso I and Samuka of beta archive is trying to get Intel usb 3.0/3.1, Uefi and gPT work on XP.

MY elder sisters new x99 system with some inf moded 3rdgen intel driver worked flawlessly on 5th gen intel same goes with my Skylake . I have disabled XHCI then all 3.1 port became 2.0 . All working fine. Intel HD GFX works fine with inf mod.

The NHS uses Citrix Neighbourhood to fill forms about people. Citrix is hosted by Windows Server 2003 and the computers used to access it are all running Windows XP ;) East Sussex Healthcare has 413 Windows XP machines, Sheffield's Children's hospital with 1'290, and St Thomas' NHS Trust in London has 10'800 computers running XP. :)

I have not said previously. Here officer in a local post went to strike when there all xp pcs are upgraded to 10 (2nd gen i3 with 4gb ram).

Next day it peoples downgraded systems.

Those office people found a nice way . They are using bluestacks to run crome . what a great idea