Windows XP is still king

Dibya

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

Well, in case that figure is correct, considering XP has about 10% of the market, that means the full PC universe comprises some 2 billion (= 2x109) machines. :dubbio:

HA HA WE ARE SO MANY.

Google today announced it is ending support for its Google Drive desktop app for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003 on January 1st, 2017, which is not such a big deal 'cause I personally use the web version only. Still, I don't like that Google doesn't care about XP anymore, but considering what they did with Chrome, I expected this.

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

Google today announced it is ending support for its Google Drive desktop app for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003 on January 1st, 2017, which is not such a big deal 'cause I personally use the web version only. Still, I don't like that Google doesn't care about XP anymore, but considering what they did with Chrome, I expected this.

See, I don't think these companies look at this from a perspective of "we don't care any more about XP".  You're saying that Google basically "has it in" for XP.  There's nothing personal about it.  Perhaps Google has development plans coming very shorty, and they definitely know that it will not work with XP.  So force the change now and create the incompatibility now (even if it's an artificial at the moment) so that Google users will not even consider XP as a usable platform for Google products.  And send the memo to both Vista users, so that they know as well.

Now, Google makes a big big change to HTL5 video applets or makes a big change in Chrome.  Guess what the two things are that they now DON'T have to do (which saves hours of testing and money, and that last point will make shareholders happy), they don't have to test the rollout on XP or Vista.  So if FranceBB complains that Google Drive doesn't work - well that's OK, because it wasn't supposed to.

And saying that XP is special because many millions of users still run the OS, will just make Google say, "Then why are you"?

If Google had a personal vendetta against XP, then why did they update Chrome and allow it to run on XP until April 2016?  There is your answer right there.  They did so until it wasn't feasible for them to do so anymore.  They weighed the man hours and cost against the market share and said, "Hmmmm, seems most people use smartphones and Windows 7, so let's focus on Android and NT v6x, ... er except Vista, just because it's not a going concern".

That's all there is to it.

Edited by JodyT

New google crome , drive and others are craps . Pure craps.

Most of you all has nice internet connection . Cromes load time is 30.78(I did round of ) % slower than Firefox in newer versions. SO let google die due to hell craps .

any of noticed that gelly bean is faster tham lolipop? It simply means they are adding craps in their android even.

Edited by Dibya

On 10/25/2016 at 5:14 PM, FranceBB said:

Today it's the Windows XP 15th Anniversary and it has been revealed that "181 million people are still using Windows XP". Well, congratulations to you all; we are far from being alone running XP in this community only xD

On 10/25/2016 at 10:24 PM, dencorso said:

Well, in case that figure is correct, considering XP has about 10% of the market, that means the full PC universe comprises some 2 billion (= 2x109) machines.

Woody referenced in his blog a .pdf document from Feb 2015 by MS that actually says:

One and a half billion people use Windows every day. (Source: Microsoft)
[...] This data is current as of February 2, 2015.

Now, if the whole Windows marketshare on Feb 2015 was 1.5x109 machines, and it was about 90% of the whole market in 2015, the full market was 1.7x109 machines back then. And since those numbers surely didn't change much since then, my estimate that full PC universe comprises some 2 billion machines is generally correct... and that means about 200 million is really the total number of XP users at present. Wow! :yes:

Well, with me, I guess that would be 2 billion and one :D

Except I'm using XP x64, which is an oddball (it seems to generally get lumped together with Server 2003, though; I wonder what the market share is for that?)

c

• 1 month later...