Windows XP is still king

Dibya

only advantage is that it work little faster due to native processor architecture.

WinXpx64 run 32bit under a virtual machine type system so when app will be x64 doesnot need to use that.,

Only theoretical advantage (and there is not even consensus of its validity as a theory) to be proved (or disproved) by actual tests/benchmarks.

We are talking of a browser here, not of a 3D rendering software!

jaclaz

I'm curious about Chrome support on XP as OS X versions 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 are about to loose support.

These are OS' that are significantly newer than XP, and while the market shares are so low at this point, a lot of people are both happy with these OS,' (in terms of performance), have a computer that cannot be upgraded further or really and truly think Mac OS X is a piece of **** after 10.8.

Or all of the above. 

I've said it before elsewhere, and will say it again, Apple's hardware and software has seriously gone down the drain the last few years.

Not only did Mavericks bring my Macbook to a grinding halt (even on a fresh installation), but subsequent versions turned the UI into a iOS-ised toy that is rapidly loosing advanced functionality. 

Eventually, I got sick of the "upgrade when we say so" BS, dropped back to Mountain Lion and was happy. For a while. Then I found out how to get Snow Leopard working on seemingly "unsupported" hardware (Late 2011 13" MBP) and have been shocked by the sheer AWESOMENESS of this OS.

What other 2009 OS boots in 15secs on nearly stock hardware (I've got 8GB of RAM, factory 5400rpm SATA drive)?

Anyway, to get back on topic, I am not surprised a lot of people still haven't upgraded. Realistically, a lot of people are probably very happy with their setup now, and are completely aware of the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Others may share disdain for the direction Windows is going with a "its a free download, but we're going to charge a subscription fee" model they seem hell-bent on ramming down our throats.*

And others still use older, better-quality hardware that just isn't conducive to running a newer OS. 

Its true that Microsoft probably gouged "just a little bit" for their software products during the 2000s. That said, Windows XP saw support for 13 years, Vista has gotten 10 years thus far and Windows 7 is set to get about 10-13 years too. I MAINTAIN that "you get what you pay for." In choosing to run what is seemingly a "free" version of Windoze, you are sacrificing your privacy (metadata collection, targeted advertising and outright spying) and eventually putting yourself into a subscription-based model. 

The other issue is where exactly MS will generate their revenue if the OS itself is free. Money does not grow on trees, y'know! I think this is represented in the fact that 8 and 10 have both really failed to captivate the market as Vista and 7 did; there are a lot of people complaining (still) about both in terms of usability, functionality and stability even now about 2 years after Windows 8's release and about a year after Windows 10 came to fruition. 

I have personally dealt with Windows 10 a couple of times and have been extremely angered by its almost hypocritical user interface - I had to alter printer settings because W10 decided that OneNote Writer should be the default printer, even though a Canon laser unit had been the default under Windows 7 for several years. Control panel exists in its traditional sense, but someone peanut at Microsoft decided it would be a good idea to switch between that and some "metro-app" version. 

[/Rant]

I'm curious about Chrome support on XP as OS X versions 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 are about to loose support.

These are OS' that are significantly newer than XP, and while the market shares are so low at this point, a lot of people are both happy with these OS,' (in terms of performance), have a computer that cannot be upgraded further or really and truly think Mac OS X is a piece of **** after 10.8.

Or all of the above. 

I've said it before elsewhere, and will say it again, Apple's hardware and software has seriously gone down the drain the last few years.

Not only did Mavericks bring my Macbook to a grinding halt (even on a fresh installation), but subsequent versions turned the UI into a iOS-ised toy that is rapidly loosing advanced functionality. 

Eventually, I got sick of the "upgrade when we say so" BS, dropped back to Mountain Lion and was happy. For a while. Then I found out how to get Snow Leopard working on seemingly "unsupported" hardware (Late 2011 13" MBP) and have been shocked by the sheer AWESOMENESS of this OS.

What other 2009 OS boots in 15secs on nearly stock hardware (I've got 8GB of RAM, factory 5400rpm SATA drive)?

Anyway, to get back on topic, I am not surprised a lot of people still haven't upgraded. Realistically, a lot of people are probably very happy with their setup now, and are completely aware of the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Others may share disdain for the direction Windows is going with a "its a free download, but we're going to charge a subscription fee" model they seem hell-bent on ramming down our throats.*

And others still use older, better-quality hardware that just isn't conducive to running a newer OS. 

Its true that Microsoft probably gouged "just a little bit" for their software products during the 2000s. That said, Windows XP saw support for 13 years, Vista has gotten 10 years thus far and Windows 7 is set to get about 10-13 years too. I MAINTAIN that "you get what you pay for." In choosing to run what is seemingly a "free" version of Windoze, you are sacrificing your privacy (metadata collection, targeted advertising and outright spying) and eventually putting yourself into a subscription-based model. 

The other issue is where exactly MS will generate their revenue if the OS itself is free. Money does not grow on trees, y'know! I think this is represented in the fact that 8 and 10 have both really failed to captivate the market as Vista and 7 did; there are a lot of people complaining (still) about both in terms of usability, functionality and stability even now about 2 years after Windows 8's release and about a year after Windows 10 came to fruition. 

I have personally dealt with Windows 10 a couple of times and have been extremely angered by its almost hypocritical user interface - I had to alter printer settings because W10 decided that OneNote Writer should be the default printer, even though a Canon laser unit had been the default under Windows 7 for several years. Control panel exists in its traditional sense, but someone peanut at Microsoft decided it would be a good idea to switch between that and some "metro-app" version. 

[/Rant]

I believe that most of the Windows 10 market share comes from systems preloaded with Windows 10, and those who need to always be cutting edge. That said, by looking at market share numbers, it's clear that many people are satisfied with Windows 7.

I believe Microsoft's aggressive Windows 10 marketing is going to hurt the company, and Windows 10, in the long run and make Windows 7 the next XP.

Edited by sdfox7

[/Rant]

I agree on this. I've said it somewhere else before... Windows 10, if it's marketed as "free", it isn't. In that case, something paid is not with money, but privacy. You pay something more invaluable for such an awful piece of software than just some bucks. You become MS's hamster which they experiment on, when you decide to get W10 in your computer.

It seemed very weird to me. Every other successful version of Windows has been a paid one. Why would they do the change in here? Since money doesn't grow on trees, they probably thought about programming some telemetry in their "free" OS and send all that data to others, thus get the money from there. The average consumer is not aware of what happens in the background of their computer with W10 now, but that PC having had an older version before. Should that be the case, they'll find out that their bandwidth is much slower than what it was before, and then get to search for info for 10 online. There will be the time where they'll realize that it has been sending their computer data silently, along with other annoyances and return back, probably...

As for their way of marketing 10, it's only going to damage the company itself. Seriously, they have never marketed another OS so much, and even using some of the most spastic ways to get users to upgrade to it. I remember last time, I saw a post somewhere that they said Windows 7 is almost 10 years old, and that x64 didn't exist back then, but that it isn't secure either. I mean, look how much they can exaggerate and tease people. 7 is barely 7 years old and security is still great in it, and x64 existed since 2003. That forced upgrade on 7 and 8.1 users too... Really? They won't even ask the user if they want to install the OS when they decide to get it, because they may have regretted getting it or something. The only options you get are either upgrade now or upgrade later (and this one has a deadline of 3 days), but not "don't upgrade". If they're going to keep it like this for long enough, then they won't see a bright future in their market, I'm sure.

[/Rant]

I agree on this. I've said it somewhere else before... Windows 10, if it's marketed as "free", it isn't. In that case, something paid is not with money, but privacy. You pay something more invaluable for such an awful piece of software than just some bucks. You become MS's hamster which they experiment on, when you decide to get W10 in your computer.

It seemed very weird to me. Every other successful version of Windows has been a paid one. Why would they do the change in here? Since money doesn't grow on trees, they probably thought about programming some telemetry in their "free" OS and send all that data to others, thus get the money from there. The average consumer is not aware of what happens in the background of their computer with W10 now, but that PC having had an older version before. Should that be the case, they'll find out that their bandwidth is much slower than what it was before, and then get to search for info for 10 online. There will be the time where they'll realize that it has been sending their computer data silently, along with other annoyances and return back, probably...

As for their way of marketing 10, it's only going to damage the company itself. Seriously, they have never marketed another OS so much, and even using some of the most spastic ways to get users to upgrade to it. I remember last time, I saw a post somewhere that they said Windows 7 is almost 10 years old, and that x64 didn't exist back then, but that it isn't secure either. I mean, look how much they can exaggerate and tease people. 7 is barely 7 years old and security is still great in it, and x64 existed since 2003. That forced upgrade on 7 and 8.1 users too... Really? They won't even ask the user if they want to install the OS when they decide to get it, because they may have regretted getting it or something. The only options you get are either upgrade now or upgrade later (and this one has a deadline of 3 days), but not "don't upgrade". If they're going to keep it like this for long enough, then they won't see a bright future in their market, I'm sure.

it is serious problem , either people go yo linux , mac or they will come back to 2k, 2k3 or xp

if you cpmpare xp is still secure also a great but some foolish tech writer started posting that keeping xp is zombie, xp is not secure and some body asked people to upgrade from xp to 10. I think either they taken money from ms or their head gone for grazzing grass.

xp is a perfect system

• 6 months later...

To give an update of the User share for XP and other OSes Here they are as of September of 2016. (at least according to netmarketshare ;) )

market.png

While I find that these statistics should be taken with a pinch of salt, there are some points of interest.

Netshare from August to September of 2016

Windows 10: decreased 22.99% to 22.53%

Windows 8.1: decreased 7.92% to 7.83%

Windows 8: decreased 1.82% to 1.78%

Windows 7: increased 47.25% to 48.25%

Windows XP: decreased 9.36% to 9.11%

Windows 2000: decrease ~0.01% to ~0.01% (source)

Windows NT: increase 0.12% to 0.23% [interestingly reached a yearly high of 0.73% of OS market share during May(16)]

Edited by Flasche
WYSIWYG didn't like how I implemented the spoiler

Interesting that XP is holding relatively steady around 9-10%. It won't die! (Compared to 2000 -- at ~0.01%, it's essentially dead, which is a pity as it was a fairly good OS in its own right).

Also interesting is that the increase in market share for 7 is almost exactly equal to the combined decreases of Windows 10 and 8.1 share. Coincidence?

c

On 10/6/2016 at 1:43 AM, cc333 said:

Interesting that XP is holding relatively steady around 9-10%. It won't die! (Compared to 2000 -- at ~0.01%, it's essentially dead, which is a pity as it was a fairly good OS in its own right).

Also interesting is that the increase in market share for 7 is almost exactly equal to the combined decreases of Windows 10 and 8.1 share. Coincidence?

c

Windows XP is still a relatively up to date system, despite what Microsoft and tech pundits would have you believe. I can still update/backup my iPhone 6S with iTunes 12, although I typically do it over WiFi.

Security experts will tell you that XP is no longer secure because it is not being patched, which is true to SOME degree. However, the way I see it, it is no worse than using Windows 7/8/10 with unknown vulnerabilities that have not yet been patched. Also, Windows 7/8/10, with market share that is much larger than XP, will be a bigger target. Microsoft will always be one step behind, playing whack-a-mole to fix vulnerabilities in its software. It is reactive, not proactive.

Don't forget that Windows 7/8/10 will have vulnerabilities that don't affect XP since the code continues to change and does not exist in the XP operating system. This has already occured with Windows 95 and 98; the DOS-based systems are "incompatible" with the viruses that affect NT systems! :D

Firefox support will continue to receive updates through mid-2018 with Firefox 53 ESR, and Opera 36 is still being patched for the time being. For the average user that browses the web and does office work, the system still gets the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

Today it's the Windows XP 15th Anniversary and it has been revealed that "181 million people are still using Windows XP". Well, congratulations to you all; we are far from being alone running XP in this community only xD 

maxresdefault.jpg