Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


WinClient5270

Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, burd said:

it works , using version 1.2.0 here 

https://imgur.com/a/Ae2JRhg

The Cuphead screenshot you posted at Imgur shows a Microsoft Security Essentials tray icon in a "Potentially Unprotected" state. What version of MSE are you using on Vista? It is also surprising that your Vista desktop still has a Dropbox shortcut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

a Microsoft Security Essentials tray icon in a "Potentially Unprotected" state.

Of course @burd is the one to clarify things, but I've seen this orange colouring of the MSE tray icon (in my sister's Win7 x64 laptop) when a System (quick) Scan hasn't been performed for a certain while - in an otherwise fully updated MSE installation; manually initiating the scan and after its successful completion, the icon colour should return to green (barring any issues found) ... ;)

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

It is also surprising that your Vista desktop still has a Dropbox shortcut.

Not very surprising if that is just a remnant of a prior Dropbox installation, at a time when the OS was still supported; for a brief period after the end of official support, the following post by @WinClient5270 was relevant:

but that hack soon ceased to work :realmad: ; if you look closely at the screengrab posted by @burd:

z4LAOc7.jpg

you'll notice the dropbox tray icon being grey, meaning the desktop client can't connect to the service...

But then I could be way-off-base... :P

Regards :)

For reference:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/When-will-Vista-no-longer-be-supported-by-Dropbox/td-p/261493

Edited by VistaLover
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

...if you look closely at the screengrab posted by @burd:

z4LAOc7.jpg

you'll notice the dropbox tray icon being grey, meaning the desktop client can't connect to the service...

Thank you for clarifying that detail, VistaLover. I suppose we both have too much time on our hands. Burd is probably using 6-year-old MSE 4.4.304.0, which I couldn't recommend after my July tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use MSE 4.4.304.0 in two x86 and one x64 setups of 7 ultimate, and they do work all right. I have another x86 setup of 7 ultimate that uses a much newer version of MSE, but not necessaruly the latest (I´ll check which version it is). Both seem to work quite equivalently, IMO. However I do think AMTSO overparanoid and you take it seriously, so to each, his own... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

The Cuphead screenshot you posted at Imgur shows a Microsoft Security Essentials tray icon in a "Potentially Unprotected" state. What version of MSE are you using on Vista? It is also surprising that your Vista desktop still has a Dropbox shortcut.

 

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Thank you for clarifying that detail, VistaLover. I suppose we both have too much time on our hands. Burd is probably using 6-year-old MSE 4.4.304.0, which I couldn't recommend after my July tests.

i am indeed using 4.4.304.0 , also dropbox wont work like we already expected , although my local files are still accessible

https://imgur.com/a/KsOlmgP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Of course @burd is the one to clarify things, but I've seen this orange colouring of the MSE tray icon (in my sister's Win7 x64 laptop) when a System (quick) Scan hasn't been performed for a certain while - in an otherwise fully updated MSE installation; manually initiating the scan and after its successful completion, the icon colour should return to green (barring any issues found) ... ;)

Not very surprising if that is just a remnant of a prior Dropbox installation, at a time when the OS was still supported; for a brief period after the end of official support, the following post by @WinClient5270 was relevant:

but that hack soon ceased to work :realmad: ; if you look closely at the screengrab posted by @burd:

z4LAOc7.jpg

you'll notice the dropbox tray icon being grey, meaning the desktop client can't connect to the service...

But then I could be way-off-base... :P

Regards :)

For reference:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/When-will-Vista-no-longer-be-supported-by-Dropbox/td-p/261493

yea it doesnt work :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, burd said:

i am indeed using 4.4.304.0

9j0ZHkW.jpg

... and I honestly hope that isn't a recent screengrab, because the Engine Version and AV+AM definitions are very outdated :(; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

latest Engine Version: 1.1.16400.2
latest defs version: 1.303.1880.0

:rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... and I honestly hope that isn't a recent screengrab, because the Engine Version and AV+AM definitions are very outdated :(; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

latest Engine Version: 1.1.16400.2
latest defs version: 1.303.1880.0

:rolleyes:

I just clicked it , i use win7 as main so it's not surprising to see it being so outdated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dencorso said:

I use MSE 4.4.304.0 in two x86 and one x64 setups of 7 ultimate, and they do work all right. I have another x86 setup of 7 ultimate that uses a much newer version of MSE, but not necessaruly the latest (I´ll check which version it is). Both seem to work quite equivalently, IMO. However I do think AMTSO overparanoid and you take it seriously, so to each, his own... 

Personally, I prefer real-time protection that can consistently detect a file that is known to be included in definitions for testing purposes; but as you have said, to each his own...

328612204_AvastvsEICAR.JPG.de6b93322e76e78573a0a4935ec2178a.JPG

Regarding your one Windows 7 installation with an MSE version that is less than 6 years old: Has MSE started to nag about "support for this operating system is ending"? Even the latest version 4.10.209.0 is now 3 years old, so MSE might perhaps be described as abandonware - and btw I have searched in vain for any promise from Microsoft that definition updates will continue after January 14.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... and I honestly hope that isn't a recent screengrab, because the Engine Version and AV+AM definitions are very outdated :(; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

Judging by the tray icon, an update was being attempted; but my July tests convince me that it was doomed to fail (although dencorso proposed a solution for that problem, as you know).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Even the latest version 4.10.209.0 is now 3 years old

It actually *is* the v. 4.10.209.0, so (thanks for the info!) it actually *is* the latest version of it, in my sole x86 7 ultimate that's not using v. 4.4.304.0... and no, no nags for me (yet ???). :unsure:
However, since the definition files have to be created for Defender anyway, and 7 still commands a healthy 30% of maket share, it's possible that MS keep the MSE definitions going for one or two more years (after all it's in their own interest to do so at least until it falls below 5% or even less). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have discovered that the 2016 versions of 3dsMax, Maya and Mudbox work on Windows Vista by editing the MSI installer using Orca.

524704214_3autodeskproductsvista.thumb.PNG.ca65e2574e940e42d63acfe33b411ebb.PNG

 

What you have to do is navigate to C:\Autodesk and into your 2016 versions of either 3dsMax, Maya or Mudbox. Then, enter into the folder of either x86 or x64 (depends on you Windows architecture version) and into the folder named after the program you want to install. In my case it is "max".

3dsmax.png

 

Right click on "3dsMax.msi" and click "Edit with Orca". Finally, scroll down to "LaunchCondition", then right-click and click drop table. Save, close and proceed to install the program.

 

orca.jpg

 

I recommend that you have Vista completely up to date with Service packs, Platform updates and .NET.

Orca download = https://www.technipages.com/downloads/OrcaMSI.zip

Edited by AlexJ2245
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexJ2245 said:

I have discovered that the 2016 versions of 3dsmax, Maya and Mudbox work on Windows Vista by editing the MSI installer using Orca.

Thanks and welcome to MSFN. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A word of caution to anyone running Vista on a VMware virtual machine - VMware Tools version 11.0.0 comes with an user mode OpenGL driver that expects K32EnumProcessModulesEx in kernel32.dll, which only exists on Windows 7+, thus one may unexpectedly get an error about the missing function when trying to run an OpenGL application, then application reporting it was unable to find an accelerated OpenGL driver or failing in some other way.

The last compatible VMware Tools version is 10.3.10. This should be reported as it seems like an oversight rather than intentional breakage, plus the function is actually supported on Vista, just resides in a different DLL, so it would be trivial to fix.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think iTunes' sign in function stopped working. It gives -50 and 0x80090302 error.

XNY.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Osman Kovan said:

I think iTunes' sign in function stopped working. It gives -50 and 0x80090302 error.

Welcome back Osman Kovan. :hello: I can confirm that issue, but I'm not yet certain it is strictly a Vista/XP issue. There is a thread at Apple Support Community, itunes login and authorization error.

Apple once threatened to cut off Windows XP and Vista from the iTunes Store on May 25, 2018 (scroll down to If you can't access the iTunes Store on your device at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208104), but that obviously did not happen. There was once an inordinate amount of discussion in this very thread, but most of it was lost due to an MSFN server crash in June 2018. This is mentioned at https://msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/?do=findComment&comment=1150847 and a few later posts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...