Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


WinClient5270

Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Has anyone tried the final .NET Framework 4.8 release? I don't have a Vista VM at hand right now.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Yes, I tried the final version of .NET 4.8 on Vista just now, and while it could be installed, it unfortunately displays the same behavior as 4.8 Preview:

oJY40FY.png

3EG3IdQ.jpg

This means that .NET 4.7.2 is the final version that can be used on Windows Vista without these issues, seemingly :(

4 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I think it requires Windows 7 because of the .NET 4.7.2.

Either way, I believe one can simply extract the program files from the installer by simply opening it with 7-Zip (or similar).

I did just that, and here are some of the files I got:

5QXFxme.png

I then modified the .MSI file with Orca like @artomberus did, and received the same error message when attempting to run the program after installing it... However, this limitation is pretty easy to circumvent using @blackwingcat's PEMaker tool:

eqUB6Wi.png

After modifying and recompiling the .exe file using this tool, that eliminated the "not a valid win32 application" error :D but sadly, my success was short-lived: :(

l3gWw1x.png

So it looks like Paint .NET is a no-go on Vista :(

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Do you reckon 7's SP1 + PU are just for .NET FW 4.7.2 compatibility reasons?

As far as SP1 goes, .NET Framework 4.7.2 does "require" this, but there is no mention of the Platform Update "requirement" on Microsoft's .NET OS compatibility chart here. Bearing this in mind, the software likely calls for functions introduced in Windows 7's Platform Update, which would explain why it doesn't work in Vista even with .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed... :(

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This thread has become rather bewildering these last 2 days. I wonder if .NET Core 2.2 (used by some cross-platform apps) could be installed on Vista?

Sadly, no. :( Downloading the installer and attempting to run it does not work, and extracting it provides no .MSI installer to use/modify, nor are there any available elsewhere on the web, from what I've found:

GUgYxPX.png

Edited by WinClient5270
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

After modifying and recompiling the .exe file using this tool, that eliminated the "not a valid win32 application" error :D but sadly, my success was short-lived: :(

l3gWw1x.png

So it looks like Paint .NET is a no-go on Vista :(

api-ms-win-core-console-l1-1-0.dll (the module that couldn't be found and caused System.IO.FileNotFoundException) is actually part of KB2999226, aka Windows 10 Universal C Runtime (Win10UCRT), which itself is a prerequisite for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015+ on Vista SP2. Please install latest redistributable for MSVC2019 found here:

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

(scroll down all the way to "Other Tools and Frameworks", expand, "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019", download files for both 32-bit & 64-bit and install; Windows6.0-KB2999226-x86.msu is included and will be co-installed if not found in the system).

43 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

the software likely calls for functions introduced in Windows 7's Platform Update, which would explain why it doesn't work in Vista even with .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed... :(

The only way to be definitive about that is if you inspect executables (*.exe & *.dll) with Dependency Walker (please do so after you've installed MSVC2019) ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WinClient5270 said:

Downloading the installer and attempting to run it does not work, and extracting it provides no .MSI installer to use/modify, nor are there any available elsewhere on the web, from what I've found:

GUgYxPX.png

If it was file dotnet-hosting-2.2.5-win.exe that you downloaded (96.3 MiB), you shouldn't have used 7-zip to unpack, but more specialised applications like Bioruebe's Universal Extractor 2

z9nnfZO.jpg

Result of extraction:

glVIgM5.jpg

I personally feel there's no way this would work under Vista, I merely wanted to point out what else to try when 7-zip fails to yield desired results... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 can also be installed on Windows Vista using the same installation method for 4.6.2 Final, and it can also be patched using the .NET 4.6 security updates for Server 2008!

4.7.2 belongs to the 4.7 family of .NET FW versions, comprising 4.7.0, 4.7.1 and 4.7.2; of course, 4.7 family isn't supported on WS2008SP2 (NT 6.0) :angry:,  so, presumably, Microsoft don't test produced patch files on 4.7.x installed on WS2008SP2... However, Win7 SP1 is supported; it just so happens that the update mechanism of 4.7.x on Win7SP1 is similar to the one of patching 4.6.x under WS2008SP2, so that is why what @WinClient5270 stated above is correct :cheerleader:

To illustrate:

By visiting Microsoft Update Catalog, latest updates for 4.7.2 on Win7 SP1 include, e.g.

2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 for Windows 7 (KB 4495588)

When you proceed to download, you are presented with file

ndp46-kb4495588-x86_057aa7f4c87dcd7fbb4225e170a901a622b72ad7.exe

Notice the ndp46-* prefix? This is exactly the same file you'd end up with if you wanted to fetch latest patch for 4.6 on WS2008SP2:

2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6 for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4495588)

(Please also load and inspect https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4495588 )

On Win8+, the update mechanism of 4.7.x is different to both WS2008/Win7; there, the patches are being delivered in the form of "Windows" updates, i.e. .msu packages...

2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1 (KB4495585) =>

windows8.1-kb4495585-x86_14b43821fa547611902f85baac67e8f013c40613.msu

So, we should really thank Windows 7 in this case! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blados, @artomberus

The best approach on (manually) updating a (manual) install of .NET FW 4.6.1/4.6.2/4.7.0/4.7.1/4.7.2 on Vista SP2 is to have access to a Windows 7 machine, where the exact .NET FW version is manually installed; you should then let WU check for .NET FW related updates and selectively hide upgrades to a higher version, if it's not what you have on the Vista machine (e.g. I understand that on Win7, MS will offer to upgrade you to 4.7.2 (4.8 maybe?) if you've got a previous version installed).

Install only the patches offered for the .NET FW version you're interested in, then head to Control Panel => Installed Updates (for .NET FW) and write down the KB numbers of these patches. Track them down in MUC and then proceed to manually install on the Vista machine! My sister has a Win7SP1 x64 laptop, where I "froze" .NET FW to v4.6.1 and, to make a long story short, that was how I was updating my own 4.6.1 install on Vista! :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I run Visual Studio 2010 on Vista while 4.6.2 Final installed, it gives me a error "The type initializer for 'Module' threw an exception." and it not starts.

UiGN4X.png?nocache

But when I run Visual Studio 2010 on Vista while .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview installed, it just starts without any errors.

7i4oY7.png?nocache

Edited by Osman Kovan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@VistaLover Do you really think it's necessary though? Updates I have installed are all security and quality rollups (except the May 2019 one) for Server 2008 since the first patch tuesday after .net 4.7.2's release. Could there really be other updates for .net framework that were released for W7 but not for Server 2008? And I saw your list of .NET 4.6.1 updates but it's missing 14 of them.

Edited by Blados

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blados said:

And I saw your list of .NET 4.6.1 updates but it's missing 14 of them.

... But I did say I stopped updating manually at the end of October 2017; also, some previous 4.6.1 updates were not included in my "Snipping Tool" screengrab ;) (I would need to scroll down and take a second one to include all installed in chronological order.) ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Osman Kovan said:

When I run Visual Studio 2010 on Vista while 4.6.2 Final installed, it gives me an error "The type initializer for 'Module' threw an exception." and it not starts.

This is most probably caused by the fact 4.6.2 Preview can be properly installed via the provided installer, while 4.6.2 Final can only be installed via a hack-ish way ;); it is possible running just the .MSI (in the unpacked original setup) does not write all of the necessary registry keys and/or modify ENV VARs; most sadly, I'm not a coder so can't provide any substantial help, but googling the issue I found:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5980847/visual-studio-2010-startup-type-initializer-for-module-threw-an-exception

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rajakedar_ganta/2012/06/12/the-type-initializer-for-module-threw-an-exception/

Hope they make sense to you! :D

Regards

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest version of FileZilla I was able to run on Vista is 3.39.0. Later versions no longer work. I even tried using PEMaker, but it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong - check if there are interested ones. Therefore, probably, FileZilla also dropped out of the race.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, artomberus said:

The latest version of FileZilla I was able to run on Vista is 3.39.0. Later versions no longer work. I even tried using PEMaker, but it didn't work.

Latest FileZilla 3.42.1 32-bit won't launch under Vista SP2 because of only one missing function in Vista's shell32.dll system file:

8o1Astn.jpg

... and, actually, the very last Vista SP2 compatible version of FileZilla is 3.40.0-rc2, released on Jan 22nd 2019:

VKuOgQk.jpg

You can download this Vista EoS version from the official repository at

https://download.filezilla-project.org/client/

Final 3.40.0 was released three days later (Jan 25th 2019) but, as you've found out, it would run only on Win7+ :realmad:

FileZilla is open source, so perhaps one could recompile more recent source code to again target at least NT 6.0; here's hoping ;)

Edited by VistaLover
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Guys, I just wanna confess that the latest version of TeamViewer works perfectly on Windows Vista. Connected it to my main PC (which is modernly better haha) with Hackintosh macOS Mojave. Also I'd like to point out that the latest version of f.lux is working, but you just need to Unblock the installer or else it will not work.

I don't know when will TeamViewer, f.lux or anything will announce their end-of-service for Vista yet. I also done a Geekbench 4 test (which required Windows 7 as the minimum OS but it ran without problems on Vista!), and I did remember some service I signed in to on Windows Vista, and then I checked my E-mail, it showed the info of my system and thinks my OS was Windows 7 (no I didn't spoof anything haha)

teamviewerproof.png

Edited by Arutz Tele
forgot something
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 5:52 PM, VistaLover said:

api-ms-win-core-console-l1-1-0.dll (the module that couldn't be found and caused System.IO.FileNotFoundException) is actually part of KB2999226, aka Windows 10 Universal C Runtime (Win10UCRT), which itself is a prerequisite for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015+ on Vista SP2. Please install latest redistributable for MSVC2019 found here:

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

(scroll down all the way to "Other Tools and Frameworks", expand, "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019", download files for both 32-bit & 64-bit and install; Windows6.0-KB2999226-x86.msu is included and will be co-installed if not found in the system).

The only way to be definitive about that is if you inspect executables (*.exe & *.dll) with Dependency Walker (please do so after you've installed MSVC2019) ;)

Thank you for the information about MSVC VistaLover :) After installing it, the error disappeared, however, the program still does not work :(:

mSIhdi7.png

As you can see, yet another artificial block implemented to keep the software from potentially working perfectly fine in Windows Vista :realmad: Programs like this aren't worth the time of day, in my opinion. I recommend GIMP 2.8.22 instead of this garbage. Although GIMP no longer supports Windows Vista, it at least somewhat had merit, as it does not work in Vista due to missing Win7+ functions instead of being artificially blocked:

7D2Cx3U.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, artomberus said:

The latest version of FileZilla I was able to run on Vista is 3.39.0. Later versions no longer work. I even tried using PEMaker, but it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong - check if there are interested ones. Therefore, probably, FileZilla also dropped out of the race.

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Latest FileZilla 3.42.1 32-bit won't launch under Vista SP2 because of only one missing function in Vista's shell32.dll system file:

8o1Astn.jpg

... and, actually, the very last Vista SP2 compatible version of FileZilla is 3.40.0-rc2, released on Jan 22nd 2019:

VKuOgQk.jpg

You can download this Vista EoS version from the official repository at


https://download.filezilla-project.org/client/

Final 3.40.0 was released three days later (Jan 25th 2019) but, as you've found out, it would run only on Win7+ :realmad:

FileZilla is open source, so perhaps one could recompile more recent source code to again target at least NT 6.0; here's hoping ;)

Thank you both for the information about FileZilla in Windows Vista, hate to hear it no longer works :( Updated the list to reflect this:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

FTP Clients:

...

FileZilla 3.39.0 (FREEOSUNS)

9 hours ago, Arutz Tele said:

Guys, I just wanna confess that the latest version of TeamViewer works perfectly on Windows Vista. Connected it to my main PC (which is modernly better haha) with Hackintosh macOS Mojave. Also I'd like to point out that the latest version of f.lux is working, but you just need to Unblock the installer or else it will not work.

I don't know when will TeamViewer, f.lux or anything will announce their end-of-service for Vista yet. I also done a Geekbench 4 test (which required Windows 7 as the minimum OS but it ran without problems on Vista!), and I did remember some service I signed in to on Windows Vista, and then I checked my E-mail, it showed the info of my system and thinks my OS was Windows 7 (no I didn't spoof anything haha)

teamviewerproof.png

Thank you for the information! TeamViewer shall remain on the list as ONG, and f.lux and Geekbench have been added also:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Benchmarking and System Stress-Testing software:

...

GeekBench ($$$CSUNS, ONG)

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Desktop Enhancement software:

...

f.lux (FREECSONG)

Edited by WinClient5270
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...