Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 3/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, Jody Thornton said:

Speaking of which, Studio Tax 2018 (also a Canuckistan tax package) works as well on Vista as well.  (it does require .NET 4 though).

:)

Thanks for letting me know! Added. :)

Anyway, I decided to cut out a lot of unnecessary information on the list to make it a lot less overwhelming to navigate and read, especially for newcomers to the topic. Hope everyone enjoys the new changes, and thanks again to all of those who have contributed to the list over the past 3 years, can't believe it's already been that long since I first posted the topic. Time flies!

Emby and Plex have much in common: Both are cross-platform media servers similar to Kodi. Both are basically free, but both have premium features that require payment (known as Emby Premiere and Plex Pass respectively). More to the point, both ended support for Windows Vista in 2016.:(

According to an August 2016 Emby thread, compatibility with Vista was broken when .NET 4.6.2 was bundled with the installer. GitHub appears to have taken down releases that old (so someone there should edit System Requirements), but VideoHelp Version History suggests that 3.0.6060 was probably the last version that could be installed on Vista.

This May 2016 Plex post offered no explanation. I hesitate to mention this, but FileHorse appears to have Plex 0.9.16.6. There is reason to think it required Visual C++ 2015. I doubt that this information would actually make the list more useful, but I wanted to post it in the thread anyway.

I pointed out NextPVR in my March 4 post. A few days later I updated to version 4.2.4, which not only works on Vista but solves an issue encountered by some users, including myself (NPVRTSReader4 was too intolerant of corruption in the stream, resulting in occasional VCRUNTIME140.dll crashes). All is well for now, but I have some trepidation regarding the approaching NextPVR 5, which will be the first cross-platform version. Will there be room on the bus for poor old Windows Vista? Stay tuned.

Since the list now includes a DVR/PVR section at my suggestion, perhaps I should focus on lengthening it a bit...

MediaPortal is another free DVR for Windows that has been around for many years, although I never used it myself. Like NextPVR, it can be used as a Kodi backend, although MediaPortal might qualify as a media server in its own right. Unlike NextPVR, MediaPortal is open source. As explained on the MediaPortal Download page, there are currently two supported branches, and Vista is only supported by the classic MediaPortal 1. Windows XP is no longer officially supported, but I see nothing in its Requirements that would preclude functioning on XP SP3 (unlike NextPVR, which has required .NET 4.6.0 since version 4.1.0 was released a year ago).

Speaking of Requirements, a word of caution about DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes: It is 95.6 MB and cannot be uninstalled. It is also a requirement for NextPVR (which I neglected to mention March 4), but historically was more like a recommendation: Not having the End-User Runtimes cluttered NPVR logs with errors more than anything, but the MediaPortal installer might not give you any choice in the matter. Before experimenting with third-party DVR software, it might be a good idea to make an updated backup image so you can easily get rid of all such things if you decide a DVR isn't for you. (The same advice goes for TV Pack 2008, which also cannot be uninstalled.)

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

Is that a question?

AIUI, it was NOT a question, but a piece of info; if you actually go to the link @Vistapocalypse provided, user @Csaba2 on "forums.comodo.com" is now testing CIS 2019 v12.0.0.6810 on his(/her?) XP SP3/2GB RAM (single channel memory mod)/1.8GHz proc machine; my own remark here wrt @Vistapocalypse's posted info is that it would've been more relevant to this forum/thread had a CIS 2019 tester actually been testing the Security Suite on a Vista machine ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

...it would've been more relevant to this forum/thread had a CIS 2019 tester actually been testing the Security Suite on a Vista machine ;) ...

I quite agree my friend! My curiosity intensified after posting, and I have successfully installed CIS 12.0.0.6810 on Vista x86 using the offline installer from p.1 of my earlier link (signed Tuesday, March 26). The relevance is that support for Vista is still ONG. Recent AV-Test results for version 11 were quite good (although I seem to recall poor results not much more than one year ago). It bothers me that Comodo's online documentation is so unreliable. I was just lurking over at Comodo; if anyone is a Comodo Forums member, please inform misguided Vista user that IceDragon stopped supporting Vista when Mozilla stopped supporting Vista (I'm confident that the list is correct regarding version 52.0.0.4 being the last).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, Ruan said:

Yeah, Sandboxie 5.26 (latest version) has been working good so far...

I wonder if @Ruan or anyone else has tried Sandboxie 5.28 on Vista?

I also wonder if it is still possible to purchase Norton v22.14.2.13 (not that I would want to)? Current Norton Security system requirements do not include Vista.

Thanks for the update @Ruan. I was beginning to think we had lost our foremost authority on Sandboxie and was wondering how to confirm its unofficial ONG support status. I would not be a good candidate for testing because I have zero experience with the software, and frankly I hardly ever use Vista for web browsing anymore (but still watch a lot of TV on it, hence my interest in DVR software). What browser(s) are you successfully using Sandboxie with?