Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

WinClient5270

Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

using Adobe photoshop CS8 in Xp so it should work in Vista

I'll assume you meant to say CS6. 

Anyway, this is one of those weird instances where XP and Windows 7 are supported, but Vista is ignored. It isn't that big of a deal though, the only thing Vista users miss out on is technical support from Adobe if you have a problem with the software. The CS6 software itself will still install and run perfectly fine in Vista.

using Adobe photoshop CS8 in Xp so it should work in Vista

Check X99 for Haswell processors though, there is still some Vista driver support for X99 chipsets and motherboards (at least EVGA does support it completely, maybe not USB 3.0/3.1 drivers).

Edited by OneSerendipity

Also K-Meleon and SeaMonkey are working Gecko variants.  The x64 version of Pale Moon also works still.

:)

Edited by JodyT
  • Upvote 1

For some reason Chrome feels better when browsing websites, hence why I still use it in Vista, though Firefox is the one that will still support it... YouTube, for example, runs much better in Chrome in here than Firefox, but there won't be any other option than upgrade to 7/2008 R2, or stay with kinda "degraded in performance" software or unsupported ones.

Added to the list.

Also K-Meleon and SeaMonkey are working Gecko variants.  The x64 version of Pale Moon also works still.

:)

I even found some Z97 motherboard drivers for Vista, by EVGA again: http://prntscr.com/aafrnt

You can't say Haswell completely doesn't support it, since it's only some specific companies and chipsets (and mostly chipsets) that don't. Even so, probably unofficial support is in those 7 drivers for such boards from other companies like MSI too.

But there is a software timing issue with Windows Vista and haswell that causes it to not boot up half the time, and some services fail to start. Unless Microsoft or intel release a hotfix, I cannot guarantee that Vista will work properly with haswell. I will add EVGA as an exception for Vista, but again, whether or not that timing bug will appear I cannot tell. It could only affect H97 (which is what I tested Vista on), but I doubt it.

Specific errors you'll see:

Just before the Startup Orb animation appears, you'll get an error that says "Interactive Logon Process Initialization has failed. Consult the event log for more details". Upon clicking Ok, sometimes Windows will proceed with the boot up process, and sometimes it won't. Usually, when it does, after you logon, some services fail to start. The one I saw most often was Windows Defender, and sometimes Windows Audio. If you experience any of these problems, the only solution as of right now is to upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 or later, where the problem is non-existent. 

I even found some Z97 motherboard drivers for Vista, by EVGA again: http://prntscr.com/aafrnt

You can't say Haswell completely doesn't support it, since it's only some specific companies and chipsets (and mostly chipsets) that don't. Even so, probably unofficial support is in those 7 drivers for such boards from other companies like MSI too.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

But there is a software timing issue with Windows Vista and haswell that causes it to not boot up half the time, and some services fail to start. Unless Microsoft or intel release a hotfix, I cannot guarantee that Vista will work properly with haswell. I will add EVGA as an exception for Vista, but again, whether or not that timing bug will appear I cannot tell. It could only affect H97 (which is what I tested Vista on), but I doubt it.

Just before the Startup Orb animation appears, you'll get an error that says "Interactive Logon Process Initialization has failed. Consult the event log for more details". Upon clicking Ok, sometimes Windows will proceed with the boot up process, and sometimes it won't. Usually, when it does, after you logon, some services fail to start. The one I saw most often was Windows Defender, and sometimes Windows Audio. If you experience any of these problems, the only solution as of right now is to upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 or later, where the problem is non-existent.

I even found some Z97 motherboard drivers for Vista, by EVGA again: http://prntscr.com/aafrnt

That's most probably affecting your own chipset (H97) though, not verified if it exists in other LGA 1150 boards too, but X99 isn't affected by the issue at all. You could just add X99 for now for the high end i7s and Xeons that are LGA 2011-v3, and search on other 1150 boards that have the issue existent in 7 at least. If they do, then those who want Haswell and Vista should go with X99. If they don't, then H97 is the only chipset that gets affected. Edited by OneSerendipity

I will add X99 after I see someone testing it with Vista with no problems. The issue is also existent with Z97, not just H97: http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304098-logon-process-initialization-failure-vista-ultimate-x64.html

I even found some Z97 motherboard drivers for Vista, by EVGA again: http://prntscr.com/aafrnt

That's most probably affecting your own chipset (H97) though, not verified if it exists in other LGA 1150 boards too, but X99 isn't affected by the issue at all. You could just add X99 for now for the high end i7s and Xeons that are LGA 2011-v3, and search on other 1150 boards that have the issue existent in 7 at least. If they do, then those who want Haswell and Vista should go with X99. If they don't, then H97 is the only chipset that gets affected.

Speaking of Vista's planned obsolescence, Vista's forum here, at MSFN, just got demoted to the Older Windows OS category...

How the great have fallen :/

Well, I installed 7 again yesterday, but due to a mistake I did to the OS, I had to reinstall again and got Vista SP1 again. Seriously, it runs better than any other OS in here, even those it was supposed to run great on, like 7 and 8. Just, I'd like to get the Ivy USB 3 drivers working in NT 6.0, at least for now.

Vista still wins. If only it would get lots of community support, this would help it stay on the top for a while.

4 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Speaking of Vista's planned obsolescence, Vista's forum here, at MSFN, just got demoted to the Older Windows OS category...

How the great have fallen :/

You'd think that in order to qualify for the "legacy" label, Vista would have to be unsupported by Microsoft completely first. But I guess considering how the third party support of Vista has fallen like it has, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

• Upvote 1

We REALLY need a KernelEx for Vista... I mean, it's in the same predicament as Windows 2000! Heck, I bet it would be easier to develop than what we have for Windows 2000, because Vista has most of the components 7 has (with the Platform Update and all).

• Upvote 2