Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Just now, 2008WindowsVista said:

Origin 2015 is the last version of the Origin client to support Windows Vista, which is why it's separated from Steam (which continues to support Vista - even XP). Do later versions of Origin work on Vista (albeit unofficially)? If so, I'll gladly move it to the ONG section with Steam as an UNS option.

Havent tried, ill try and let you know

I am sorry to report that yet another application moves out of Vista support :angry::(

mpv is a CLI media player, a recent fork of MPlayer (itself a fork of mplayer2); while it is mostly known/used on non-Windows OSes, it does support Windows too codewise and win32/win64 executables (mpv.exe) can be compiled via, e.g., MSYS2 native Windows compiler (but, sadly, MSYS2 now requires Win7+ and preferably the x64 architecture :( ). 

Power Windows users may be already familiar with mpv when using it with other CLI applications like the stream-downloaders livestreamer (now defunct), its maintained fork streamlink and youtube-dl; but perhaps others may know mpv as the media engine driving the front-end SMPlayer (this can also use the original MPlayer under the hood, but from experience has worse performance compared to using mpv). 

The mpv devs have made it clear from the start of the fork (ca. 2012) that they'll be dropping support for very old systems... Windows XP was accidentally dropped in November 2015, but then the devs decided to do nothing to restore its support.

Most unfortunately, we're now seeing a repeat of that with regards to Windows Vista; you can read about it in this GitHub issue :(. Though the breakage was indeed unintentional, there'll be no effort spent by the devs towards restoring Vista support :angry:

As you'd expect in such cases, the same ol' "Microsoft’s extended support has ended" mantra was recited but, in all fairness, the dev did acknowledge that as

a welcome excuse, to be frank.

The justification of "Vista not registering in my download statistics: https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/stats.html" I found quite lame, TBH; what it all comes down to is

There is very little incentive to spend effort on maintaining support, that’s all.

While he obviously could, the main dev providing the Windows executables said

I have no intention to work around that with my builds

The only options offered by the devs to Vista users (cross compile in a Linux VM or install Linux in the Vista machine and dual-boot) are far from realistic for most Vista users on old-ish hardware, not to mention the huge learning curve required to master Linux at first and the cross-compiler itself after that...

So, on the Windows builds page the very last Vista compatible binary is the one marked as 2017-04-23,  which is in fact mpv-v0.25.0:

https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-i686-20170423.7z
https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20170423.7z

versions 0.26+ will simply not run on Vista; to be exact, this is only valid for the pre-compiled binaries offered by the main dev in his repo; in theory, code newer than v0.25 could be compiled with modifications to the crypto lib used so as to restore Vista support; I, for one, don't possess neither the hardware nor the know-how to even attempt such a task... -_-

Edited by VistaLover

On 10/4/2017 at 2:45 PM, VistaLover said:

I am sorry to report that yet another application moves out of Vista support :angry::(

mpv is a CLI media player, a recent fork of MPlayer (itself a fork of mplayer2); while it is mostly known/used on non-Windows OSes, it does support Windows too codewise and win32/win64 executables (mpv.exe) can be compiled via, e.g., MSYS2 native Windows compiler (but, sadly, MSYS2 now requires Win7+ and preferably the x64 architecture :( ). 

Power Windows users may be already familiar with mpv when using it with other CLI applications like the stream-downloaders livestreamer (now defunct), its maintained fork streamlink and youtube-dl; but perhaps others may know mpv as the media engine driving the front-end SMPlayer (this can also use the original MPlayer under the hood, but from experience has worse performance compared to using mpv). 

The mpv devs have made it clear from the start of the fork (ca. 2012) that they'll be dropping support for very old systems... Windows XP was accidentally dropped in November 2015, but then the devs decided to do nothing to restore its support.

Most unfortunately, we're now seeing a repeat of that with regards to Windows Vista; you can read about it in this GitHub issue :(. Though the breakage was indeed unintentional, there'll be no effort spent by the devs towards restoring Vista support :angry:

As you'd expect in such cases, the same ol' "Microsoft’s extended support has ended" mantra was recited but, in all fairness, the dev did acknowledge that as

The justification of "Vista not registering in my download statistics: https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/stats.html" I found quite lame, TBH; what it all comes down to is

While he obviously could, the main dev providing the Windows executables said

The only options offered by the devs to Vista users (cross compile in a Linux VM or install Linux in the Vista machine and dual-boot) are far from realistic for most Vista users on old-ish hardware, not to mention the huge learning curve required to master Linux at first and the cross-compiler itself after that...

So, on the Windows builds page the very last Vista compatible binary is the one marked as 2017-04-23,  which is in fact mpv-v0.25.0:

https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-i686-20170423.7z
https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20170423.7z

versions 0.26+ will simply not run on Vista; to be exact, this is only valid for the pre-compiled binaries offered by the main dev in his repo; in theory, code newer than v0.25 could be compiled with modifications to the crypto lib used so as to restore Vista support; I, for one, don't possess neither the hardware nor the know-how to even attempt such a task... -_-

Thank you for another very detailed and informative post, VistaLover. I share your sentiment and can't stand when developers use the end of extended support as an excuse to justify dropping support for an OS with their own product. If they really cared about EOL, why did they support XP until November 2015, and why did they not (intentionally) drop support for Vista until now? Sounds awfully fishy to me.

Regardless, I will add mpv 0.25.0 to the list. :)

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 5, 2017:

• Added mpv v0.25.0 to "Multimedia" section as the last version of the software to support Vista.
  • Added download links to Epic Browser 58, Google Chrome 50, Opera 37, Firefox 53, and Waterfox 53.0.3.
  • Overhauled "Intel chipset & graphics" section, containing new information about Ivy Bridge compatibility with Vista and a link explaining the problems with Vista on Haswell (and later platforms) in greater detail.
  • Added Passmark PerformanceTest to (ONG) "Benchmarking and system stress-testing software" section.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 11, 2017

• Added disclaimer in "Web browsers" section: Most of the listed browsers are no longer updated and may eventually stop displaying websites correctly as time goes on. Please check the ONG section for a list of Web Browsers that continue to support Vista (Pale Moon is my personal recommendation, as the browser still receives major updates on Vista unlike most of the other options).
  • Updated download link to Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112m (shoutouts to sdfox7 for providing a link), as visiting the main Chrome download page no longer delivers a compatible installer for XP/Vista users.
  • Updated information regarding Slimjet: v10 of the browser, although supposedly continuing to receive security updates, has not received any updates since February 7, 2017. This may indicate that Flashpeak has quietly abandoned the browser. You may find better use out of Slimjet 11 or 12, since they are based on newer Chromium versions (v51 & v53, respectively) and will most likely be able to display more webpages correctly for a longer period of time than Slimjet 10.
  • Updated information regarding Microsoft Office 2007 extended support: extended support for the software ended on October 10, 2017.
  • Added link to my Windows Vista on the Ivy Bridge platform guide in "Intel chipset & graphics" section.
  • Added Comodo Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to (ONG) "Antivirus/security software" section.
  • Added Twitch Desktop App to (ONG) "Multimedia" section.
  • Added FL Studio & Synthesia to (ONG) "Audio creation/editing tools" section.
  • Added SSD Tweaker to (ONG) "Hard drive utilities" section.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 22, 2017:

• Added Advanced Chrome v54.15.5320.0 to "Web browsers">"Chromium based" section.
  • Added a link to "Office suites" section: "Description of the versions of Office that are compatible with Windows Vista".
  • Added a new section: "Microsoft Office Add-ins/Tools". The addition of this section helps to clean up the overwhelmingly large "Additional Microsoft software/utilities" section.
  • Moved Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2013 Database Tool, Calendar Printing Assistant for Outlook, Junk Mail Reporting Add-in for Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote, Office 2010 Filter Packs, Office File Validation Add-in for Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 and Microsoft Office 2007 SP2, Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup, PowerPoint Viewer 2010, Search Commands Add-In for Office 2007 and Office 2010, and Word Viewer 2010 from "Additional Microsoft software/utilities" section to "Microsoft Office Add-ins/Tools" section.
  • Updated information about Windows Media Player 11: Online stores/Online Media Service Listing Program has been discontinued.
  • Clarified information about Pale Moon x64 under Vista.
  • Renamed (ONG) "Remote desktop access" section to "Remote access".
  • Added Logmein Rescue Technician Console, Splashtop Business Access, Splashtop On-Demand Support, Splashtop Remote Support, VNC Connect, and VNC Viewer to (ONG) "Remote access" section.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add that PotPlayer and Leawo Blu-ray Player still support Vista, and even XP for that mater. I've also tested the Steam version of Planet Explorers (build v1.1) and that too appears to run without error. (ensure you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 both x86 and x64 installed). I did however experience crashing while using OpenCL and DirectX mode. Most common errors addressed here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/237870/discussions/0/540735426811547416/steam_api.dll/so/dylib.?l=italian&ctp=3

Space Engine (not to be mistaken for Space Engineers) also runs perfectly stable under Vista as of 0.980.

I was able to install OBS 20.1.1, but the x64 version crashes upon opening. x86 appears to be relatively bug free. MakeMKV Beta also works at the time of writing. I just finished copying an old DVD to ensure that it works. Internet Download Manager (IDM) still lists Vista as a supported OS, and I can concur after weeks of usage. On the other hand, I haven't had much luck with Handbrake. The program will install, but it crashes almost immediately after starting an encode. It may well be system specific here. Older builds work, but are limited in functionality. (no h.265 and poor mkv support). I've substituted it with Prism Video File Converter, a payware application that performs similar functions.

Edited by 11ryanc
left out a few details

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR NOVEMBER 3, 2017:

• Removed OBS Studio 18.0.2 from "Music & video streaming software">"Video Streaming" section, as Vista compatibility has been restored as of around version 20.x.
  • Removed "Games">"Sequels unlikely to support Vista" section. Moved to a new (ONG) subsection: "Games".
  • Added new (ONG) section: "Games". All games previously in the "Sequels unlikely to support Vista" section can be found here.
  • Added Space Engine and Planet Explorers to (ONG) "Games" section.
  • Added Leawo Blu-ray Player, Potplayer, and OBS Studio to (ONG) "Multimedia" section.
  • Added GFXBench GL to (ONG) "Benchmarking and system stress-testing software" section.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR NOVEMBER 8, 2017:

• Added a new section: Cloud storage clients.
  • Added Microsoft OneDrive Version 2017 Build 17.3.7076.1026 to "Cloud Storage clients" section.
  • Added MakeMKV to (ONG) "Optical disc media management software" section.
  • Added Handbrake to (ONG) "Multimedia" section.
  • Moved OBS Studio from (ONG) "Multimedia" section to (ONG) "Screen Recording & Capture software">"Screen Recording" section, as I feel that the software's functionality fits in better with this genre.
  • Added new (ONG) subsection: Outer space simulation software.
  • Added Outerra to (ONG) "Outer space simulation software" section.
  • Moved Space Engine from (ONG) "Games" section to new (ONG) "Outer space simulation software" section.
  • Removed (ONG) "Google software" section.
  • Moved Google Earth from (ONG) "Google software" section to new (ONG) "Outer space simulation software" section.
  • Removed Microsoft OneDrive from (ONG) "Cloud storage clients" section.
  • Added Backup and Sync by Google to (ONG) "Cloud storage clients" section.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR NOVEMBER 23, 2017:

• Updated information about Cocoon, Comodo IceDragon, and Tor browsers: these browsers are not likely to support Vista much longer, as the current versions of each browser are all currently based on the final version of Mozilla Firefox to be compatible with Windows Vista without rework (Firefox 52 ESR).
  • Updated information about the future of Pale Moon: The browser will soon be merging into a new browser called Basilisk. When this merge occurs, Pale Moon will no longer support Windows Vista. However, efforts to restore Vista (and XP) compatibility are currently being conducted by MSFN user roytam1 via the New Moon project.
  • Removed Dooble browser from the list, as the browser is no longer being developed as of November 19, 2017 with the release of 1.56e.
  • Removed Conkeror from the list, as the browser has still to this day never been updated from its initial 1.0 release from April 2016. As such, the browser is more than likely abandoned, and in addition to this, the browser is not compatible with many websites due to being widely recognized by most sites as Netscape Navigator 5.
  • Removed (ONG) "Web browsers">"Independently based" section, along with K-Meleon from the list, as the browser has not received a single update in almost a year. As such, it is most likely abandoned, but may be added back in future if development resumes.
  • Updated status of Foxit Reader's Vista compatibility: the current version still works under Windows Vista as of November 2017 (I had not tested this since January previously).
  • Updated status of Java's Vista compatibility: with the release of Java 9, the software no longer officially supports Windows Vista. However, I have tested the latest version of Java 9 under Windows Vista myself and have found it to be working just fine. As such, Java will be kept on the list in the ONG section as a UNS entry.
Edited by WinClient5270