Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Thanks for the information @MrMADRYAN! So this thread’s original post is correct about MSE 4.10 functioning normally on 2008 SP2. Of course for Vista, the problem is not installation but rather the April 2017 time bomb that was included in all versions after 4.4. Were it not for that, I’m sure that definitions could be installed with the necessary SHA-2 support. Microsoft has said that definitions will be updated until 2023.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, xpandvistafan said:

How did you get the Chrome 49 direct download link? I know it is very hard.

WinClient5270 has been inactive for many months, but he started working on the original post back in May 2016. In previous years I used to check that link to see if it still worked, which is the most surprising part. Perhaps he got it from a webpage such as this one, where the x86 link still works but the x64 link has been 404 for years.

On 7/7/2021 at 8:49 PM, xpandvistafan said:

How did you get the Chrome 49 direct download link? I know it is very hard.

ANY official version your desire , starting from 48 and up to the latest , including x64 and x86 of Chrome is available at this archived version's page :

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

Linux and Mac are there too . Yeah , I know - it's a nice find , enjoy .

Greetings from Slovakia. Here is my knowledge of using Windows Vista Business SP2 64 bit (OEM licensed)> Server 2008 (via Vista_SHA2_WUC) on a 13 year old ntb Fujitsu Esprimo V6545 in 2021.
- Windows Defender manually updated via mpas-fe from Microsoft,
- monthly cumulative updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog manually (last July 2021),
- .Net Framework 4.7.2 last update January 2020. (I have successfully installed .Net Framework 4.8, but I do not recommend disabling multiple applications that worked normally in Vista)
- Browsers:
IE9 - last update January 2020
MyPal 64bit –v. 29.2.1
Serpent 64bit -52.9.0 of July 9, 2021
New Moon 64bit –v.28.10.4a.1 of 8 July 2021
Default: 360 Chrome Browser v. 13.0.2250.0 (Chrome ver. 86.0.4249.198) with Chrome Store add-ons.
Security and protection: on a monthly basis, I manually run the applications JRT, RKill, mbam, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, HitmanPro_x64, adwcleaner-7-2-7. The system is clean, without MW, AdWare, SpyWare.
The peculiarity is that Microsoft did not end the updates for Server 2008 even in 2021, for which thanks, because the Vista OS team is still alive, fast, 99% usable even at the beginning of the third decade of the second millennium ...

On 7/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

WinClient5270 has been inactive for many months, but he started working on the original post back in May 2016. In previous years I used to check that link to see if it still worked, which is the most surprising part. Perhaps he got it from a webpage such as this one, where the x86 link still works but the x64 link has been 404 for years.

I noticed that. The Chrome 70 link has been 404 for many years too. But it is in the Web Archive.

Maybe another off-the-topic question, but anyone here can help test Xbox One controller on Windows Vista x64 (I use mostly up-to-date 6.0.6003)?

I found out any driver (either provided by @GTAGAME  with version number 6.2.11059.0, or later version 6.3.9600.16384 on MS catalog, both drivers are for Windows 7 and not signed for Windows Vista) does not seem to work on my VMWare Workstation player setup connecting official Microsoft Xbox One S controllers, model 1708 with up-to-date firmware version 4.8.1923.0. Perhaps I shouldn't update firmware on both of the controllers in such a hurry... I didn't think I could use the controllers on my virtual machine one day.

Both of the model 1708 controllers with aforementioned version firmware will simply just keep blinking on the Xbox logo button when connected to Vista virtual machine. Although Vista could identify them as "Xbox controllers" using the drivers, none of the button pressing could be registered by the system.

However, I also tried a third party PDP afterglow controller for Xbox One and Windows with firmware version 1.0.62.19 (the firmware cannot be updated) and that works with my Windows Vista virtual machine without any problems. It seems like even a third party controller is more useful than the official ones right now; what an ironic thing.

P.S. and FYI:

1. There are 3 factors to concern about: virtual machine setup, model number of the controllers, firmware versions of the controllers.

2. All controllers are connected to the machine with a USB wire (USB mini to regular, maybe you can try the later model type-C ones as well if you have one); at this time wireless adapter is not tested or concerned.

3. Model numbers of Xbox (One, Series X|S) wireless controllers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Wireless_Controller#Summary

4. Windows 7 x64 Xbox controller driver package version 6.3.9600.16384, Regular: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=608cc98b-b470-450c-8fcc-28b452790351 (On MS catalog there are 6 different driver packages in total: Regular, DFU mode and Elite controller driver, and one each for x86 and x64.)

My wild guess is Vista only works for pre-1708 models, or some point of a 1708 model firmware update. Considering sometimes Windows 7 could have hassles using them, I don't expect Vista to have more compatibilities.

xb1s.PNG

pdp.PNG

Edited by g_m_1990_

Side effect of testing XB1 controllers:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 can be played on Windows Vista x64. It's not so astonished to me, since it uses OpenGL 3.3 for 3D acceleration, and DirectX 10 is only used for GUI elements (maybe...). As mentioned in the previous post, that PDP afterglow controller works flawlessly even on a VMWare Player virtual machine setup. Also I used GOG.com version of the game since Steam client January 2019 no longer works for me...

I don't really like this game to be honest; I don't have other games to test.

nep_xb.JPG

Hi WinClient5270 you know how to activate windows vista 2021 they got bugs so no bugs popped up?

Well, I'm looking for in Google and the fidelity of the inheritances, more pages that give the activator for Windows Vista is a normal fake, so something these inheritances do not work without a proper orgatec over it, somehow and the size of the ships can be just a fake that installs faustine programs and other such.

Well, normally you can activate Windows XP 2021 and what is Vista?

Well, do you know how to activate Windows Vista?  no viruses!  if it wasn't a fake!  it was free!  Iza would work It's 100%! 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I have no idea when they will end support for version 3, which still supports XP and Vista.

Two adages :P :

'What you don't know can't hurt you!"

and

"Bad news travels fast..."

i.e. I'm not losing sleep (or more hair :D) myself over eventual end of Vista support; when that time comes, I'll probably find it the hard way :(, assuming they (VLC) haven't disclosed a definitive cut-off date by then... :dubbio:

... Picking up from a "relevant" WinXP thread/post :P

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

BTW, I haven't tested any of the ShareX v13 series yet... :dubbio:

The first (v13.0.1) of the v13 series is also the last built on .NET FW 4.6.2, so with 4.6/4.6.1 installed on Vista SP2, I expect this specific (portable) version of ShareX to have the best compatibility with such an "installation scenario" (i.e. Vista SP2+.NF461) ; as noted previously, you'll have to modify the ShareX.exe.config file (adjacent to ShareX.exe) for the app to even launch: 

ttZymuX.jpg

v13.0.1 sports a new dark theme (over previous v12.4.1) and generally, in my limited testing, works as expected :D (including update checks); one thing that doesn't work is the ffmpeg.exe binary auto-download (you should get a confirmation dialogue when selecting "Tools -> Video thumbnailer"), because versions before 13.2.1 were hardcoded to fetch from the now defunct Zeranoe builds repo (see attachment) :( ... In any case, that Zeranoe ffmpeg build was not Vista-compatible :angry: ; to rectify these issues, download manually a Vista-compatible ffmpeg.exe binary and place inside the following directory: 

"PortableRootDir\ShareX\Tools\"

On launch, the app should pick up the existence of the binary and an entry should be created inside file 

"PortableRootDir\ShareX\Tools\ApplicationConfig.json", 

in my case, it's 

"FFmpegOptions": {
        "OverrideCLIPath": false,
        "CLIPath": "G:\\PortableApps\\ShareXPortable\\ShareX-13.0.1-portable\\ShareX\\Tools\\ffmpeg.exe",

Because I was feeling adventurous :P , I decided to also test the latest ShareX version, i.e. v13.5.0; as @Vistapocalypse correctly pointed out here, this is built on .NET FW 4.7.2 (not 4.6.2), so I was quite curious to explore the possibility of it running on already installed 4.6.1 :whistle:; after, again, modifying ShareX.exe.config file (4.7.2 -> 4.6.1), I was surprised but pleased to discover the app did launch :cheerleader:

Wl1dw3J.jpg

Update checks do still work (the app reports it's up-to-date), as most other aspects of the program, but I must admit I haven't tested extensively... ;) 

In contrast to 13.0.1, ffmpeg.exe auto-download works (it is now fetched, as a zip file, from a dedicated ShareX GitHub repository), but installation fails under my setup :angry: , because the extraction of the ffmpeg.zip file is delegated to functions only found on .NET FW 4.7.2+; the downloaded (zipped) binary is a saved copy of a ffmpeg-4.3.1-win32-gpl Zeranoe build, not launching under Vista (because of libx265 NUMA code), so it wouldn't accommodate even if extraction succeeded :( ; the "manual" installation route has to be followed here, too... 

What was the initial reason the devs dropped official Vista (and XP) support? Well, "they" had stated that on Vista update checks wouldn't be possible... :whistle:
So glad the Vista community proves them wrong! :D

Edited by VistaLover

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 11:42 PM, VistaLover said:

Two adages :P :

'What you don't know can't hurt you!"

and

"Bad news travels fast..."

i.e. I'm not losing sleep (or more hair :D) myself over eventual end of Vista support; when that time comes, I'll probably find it the hard way :(, assuming they (VLC) haven't disclosed a definitive cut-off date by then... :dubbio:

it's not about how to activate Windows Vista, so that there is nothing in the control panel about Windows, it is known that you need to activate Windows As it turns out club even despite the correct typing does not work You know how to fix it or anyone knows how fix it? of course, unfortunately I do not have a photo with this problem!

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, erpdude8 said:

...Microsoft will be retiring support for .NET Framework versions 4.6.1 and earlier by April 2022 as recently mentioned here and here  (Vista users need to be aware of this).

I didn’t think there was much that Vista users could do about this at the time of your post. However, discussion in the extended kernel thread on November 7 revealed that .NET 4.6.2 now officially supports Server 2008 SP2! (4.6.0 was formerly the highest officially supported version for 2008, and it remains so for Vista.) No workaround is needed to run the latest 4.6.2 installers, however they have sha-256 digital signatures now.

Edit: I just found that this was mentioned at .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 end of support FAQ:

I use .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 on Windows Server 2008. What should I do?

Previously .NET Framework 4.6.1 and earlier versions supported Windows Server 2008 but .NET Framework 4.6.2 and later versions did not. As part of this end of support update .NET Framework 4.6.2 has been updated to include Windows Server 2008 as a supported platform. Customers using .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 on Windows Server 2008 should plan to move up to .NET Framework 4.6.2.

Edited by Vistapocalypse