Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 5/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

This (3.0.13) may be the final update before VLC 4.0, which will not support Windows XP or vanilla Vista.

23 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

VLC 3.0.14 has been released

So, a c*ck-up on their part proved your prediction wrong... ;) :D
But, do you know of an official timetable as to when, in fact, the VLC 3 branch will become deprecated for good? :dubbio:

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

But, do you know of an official timetable as to when, in fact, the VLC 3 branch will become deprecated for good? :dubbio:

No. As for my qualified prediction of May 10, I seem to recall that the top line of the changelog formerly read, “Changes between 3.0.13 and 4.0.0.” But now it reads “3.0.x” even though 3.0.14 has not been added to the log? Speculation: Perhaps auto updating was purposefully disabled to prevent XP/Vista users from downloading VLC 4.0, but has now been “fixed” because VideoLAN has decided to postpone the release of 4.0 and prolong support for 3.0? In any case, I am pleasantly surprised by VLC’s continued support for XP/Vista. :rolleyes:

@Vistapocalypse : By searching I landed here:

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/milestones?sort=due_date_desc&state=closed

and then here:

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/milestones/113

which does suggest a 3.0.15 milestone is currently in the works, cut-off date for its official release being July 30th 2021 :thumbup ...

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, burd said:

I found something weird today looking up wiki , 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista 
apparently Vista was supported until April 2021 in China how even?

Wikipedia is editable by anyone; that bit you reference,

However, Windows Vista support continued in China until April 13, 2021.

was only added mere hours ago,
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_Vista&oldid=1025080050
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_Vista&diff=prev&oldid=1025080050

however I can't form an opinion on the validity of the added info, obviously only Chinese Vista users might offer a clue on this... :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Wikipedia is editable by anyone; that bit you reference,

was only added mere hours ago,
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_Vista&oldid=1025080050
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_Vista&diff=prev&oldid=1025080050

however I can't form an opinion on the validity of the added info, obviously only Chinese Vista users might offer a clue on this... :rolleyes:

Its probably BS but if it were true by a small chance it does make one wonder how support was extended by full 4 years extra and that too for only 1 region.

5 hours ago, burd said:

Its probably BS but if it were true by a small chance it does make one wonder how support was extended by full 4 years extra and that too for only 1 region.

I know Mandarin and by one chance I heard from zhihu.com (for those of you who don't know: it's Chinese counterpart of quora.com) that some simplified Chinese Windows XP users can still receive old Windows updates after SHA-1's switching off. But "can receive old SHA-1 updates" != "support continues and extends to a certain future date".

I don't think extended support to 2021 is true for simplified Chinese Windows Vista users residing in China; dunno what source of the information is from. I did comment to some Windows Vista related posts on zhihu.com, that Windows Vista can install Server 2008 "R1" (or "original", if you prefer to call that) updates to receive several years of potential extra support.

I do have a Compaq laptop that is used to run Windows Vista Home Basic and it was a simplified Chinese edition in my permanent home in China. However my relative (accompanied with a computer repair guy who commonly believes that "Vista is bad, a bugged OS in MS history and you should replace it") ditched the hard drive and installed an SSD with Windows 7 on it. So I can't test that anymore.

Edited by g_m_1990_
Minor wording changes and grammar correction

Hi Guys

I have a trouble to install
Handbrake 1.07 on my Vista
I have the following error message.
The procedure entry point SetThreadGroupAffinity could not be located in Kernel32.DLL
I have sp2 also platform update and all server 2008 updates installed. I got all visall runtimes and net framework 4.8 as well. I got the same error with EasyBcd.Anyone had similar experiences? 

1 hour ago, Nandor said:

The procedure entry point SetThreadGroupAffinity could not be located in Kernel32.DLL

That function requires at least Win7:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processtopologyapi/nf-processtopologyapi-setthreadgroupaffinity

1 hour ago, Nandor said:

and net framework 4.8 as well

While you can install 4.8 (with "workarounds") on Vista SP2, I'm not convinced myself it works flawlessly all of the times and for all .NET FW 4 requiring apps...
I can't help you, sadly, all I can testify is that Handbrake 1.0.7 (2017040900) - 32bit launches fine here on my Vista SP2 x86 machine with .NET FW 4.6.1 (32-bit):

p6V8OBm.jpg

4 hours ago, Nandor said:

I got the same error with EasyBcd.

That’s another program that requires .NET Framework:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/system-requirements/

Unless you have a program that actually requires .NET 4.8 (and actually works), downgrading your .NET to a version that actually supported Vista (4.6.0 officially, 4.6.1 unofficially) would seem to be called for. I also wonder if you have installed the extended kernel? (This is not an extended kernel support thread, but MSFN does have such a thread.)

Thank you so much Vistapocalypse and VistaLover Installing Net Framework 4.6.0 and uninstalling 4.8 fixed my Handbreak and EasyBcd you guys are amazing. Never tried the extended kernel on Vista I am very satisfied the vanilla version since I disabled the multimedia class scheduler this maschine it is the quickest DLNA server in my house.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

That’s another program that requires .NET Framework:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/system-requirements/

I couldn't help noticing that the app (EasyBCD) can use .NET FW 2.0 or 3.5; 2.0 is native to Vista, 3.5 is offered as an update to native 3.0; so, good chances are, the app would have launched for @Nandor IF no .NET FW4 was installed; it looks like the (crooked) installation of 4.8 prevented EasyBCD from falling back on either 3.5/2.0; notice also how stricter are  .NET FW4 requirements, the range of 4 versions is limited to 4.0-4.6 ...

While having no .NET FW4 installed would have (probably) allowed EasyBCD to work, HandBrake 1.0.7 (EoS for Vista) does need it...

2 hours ago, Nandor said:

Thank you so much Vistapocalypse and VistaLover
Installing Net Framework 4.6.0 and uninstalling 4.8 fixed my Handbreak and EasyBcd
you guys are amazing.

You are certainly welcome :); so, despite my initial claim, I did manage to help you... ;)
BTW, are you really running a copy of WS2008 32-bit (it says so underneath your avatar...) ?
Is this machine connected to the web and does it have a working Microsoft/Windows Update currently (several specific KBs are needed to enable access to the SHA-2 WU endpoints currently in place, I hope you're aware...) ?

After you installed .NET Framework 4.6 (the last officially supported by Microsoft Update), were you offered any updates for it? It should be possible to fetch all available 4.6 Security & Quality Rollups at least until Jan 2020, when WS2008's Extended Support came to an end... I'm asking this as a possible continuation to a related query of mine in another thread... :whistle:
Thanks in advance for any additional feedback...

Of course software that officially supports Vista should not require a .NET version higher than 4.6. Higher versions should be installed only to investigate whether software that officially requires Windows 7 might unofficially work on Vista, but only a small number of success stories are known. I am now convinced that installing .NET 4.8 will break more software than it enables, and suspect that the same is true of 4.7.

If @Nandor (or anyone else) is actually running Server 2008, there is something I am very curious about: This thread’s original post states that Microsoft Security Essentials 4.10.209.0 “continues to function normally on Windows Server 2008...” Is that still true? I don’t seem to recall any mention of MSE on Server 2008 since March 2017 when it was shown not to be nagging. I tried to ask @Werewolf about it in December 2019, but he has been inactive since then. MSE did not officially support servers, and I once read somewhere that special installation procedures were necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

@Vistapocalypse, If it counts, I have a Hyper-V VM that runs 2008 SP2, and MSE 4.10 - at the time of writing it still receives definition updates, but that might apply only to me - my local ISP has some kind of WSUS: I still can update XP/Vista without any 3rd party patches. I think that Microsoft Update servers are being redirected to ISP's network.

And you are right. A trick that is necessary to install it on Server 2008 / Server 2008 R2 - I had to run an installer with "mseinstall /disableoslimit" parameter. If it is not specified, I am given "OS is not supported" screen.

Edited by MrMADRYAN