Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Speaking of OT discussions, did you ever solve the VLC problem you mentioned above on March 22? It works fine on a Vista 6.0.6002 x86 physical system, which obviously doesn’t help you at all. If “upgrading” to build 6003 per se broke VLC, it shouldn’t have taken two years for someone at MSFN to notice that, so your VMWare theory seems better.

I’m expecting a new VLC version to be released very soon, and another theory comes to mind: Is it possible that you don’t have Platform Update for Windows Vista installed? You may want to search Installed Updates for KB960362, KB971512, KB971513, KB971514 and KB2117917. (They should be available from Microsoft Update Catalog or greenhillmaniac’s repository.) Version compatibility summary at VideoLAN wiki remarks, “It is highly recommended to install the Platform Update.” The changelog for VLC 3.0.0 at GitHub was somewhat more adamant: “Windows Vista (all versions) without Platform Upgrade is not supported.”

I'm sure that Platform Updates are installed onto my system; otherwise I won't have DirectX 11 shown on dxdiag screen in my previous post.  I also did a search on "Installed updates" with all 5 updates and they are all shown up on search results.

One other issue brings up my concern is that Internet Explorer Security Updates seem not installed on my system properly as my Internet Explorer 9 still reports its version as RTM, but I was also hearing someone else saying this is a known issue for Vista x64 - but why the version is showing up as RTM rather than a pre-end-of-life patch number.

Some other thing I could recall is that when I used greenhillmaniac's earlier version repository to install post-Vista-end-of-support Sever 2008 original updates (around early 2019) I executed that included .bat file using PowerShell 2.0 rather than execute them one-by-one. It was causing some problems as installation process hanged at some point for vast amount of time (I went out in the morning and came back at the evening) and I wasn't sure if some updates were installed improperly. Later I audited all updates one-by-one and WUSA simply bumped me a "this update is not needed" modal so I assumed they were installed in some form...

Maybe I'll do a complete re-install of Vista 64-bit one day but I need to arrange some time, however I also need to get around with that "defunct" Windows Update functionality, i.e. SHA-1 updates.

Edit: One other thing I could think of is mismatched virtual hardware version of current machine with the latest VMWare Workstation Player, and VMWare tools cannot be updated to date due to devs dropping Vista support, but this can't explain MPC-BE x64 is working without any issues.

Edited by g_m_1990_

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This forum has a thread Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista with a workaround for installing recent IE9 updates on Vista x64. With respect to this thread’s topic, VLC still supports Vista whereas VMWare does not.

Yea, most likely VMWare related. But I probably need more samples from up-to-date 6.0.6003 users with real hardware...

On 5/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, WinClient5270 said:

This means that .NET Framework 4.6.2 Final CAN be installed and patched on Windows Vista using @Osman Kovan's installation method, and then by downloading the .NET 4.6 patches for Server 2008 manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

this is very good news for Vista users out there

because Microsoft will be retiring support for .NET Framework versions 4.6.1 and earlier by April 2022 as recently mentioned here and here  (Vista users need to be aware of this).

Edited by erpdude8

On 5/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, VistaLover said:

... Yes, that is indeed the case - it appears that all three 4.6.x flavours (4.6.0 [final], 4.6.1 [final], 4.6.2 [final]) are being patched by the same .exe files!

Unfortunately, 4.6.0 having been the last version to officially support Server 2008 SP2, it seems unlikely that there will be any further .NET rollups for Server 2008 SP2 after April 2022. :(

(Edit: ESU updates for .NET reportedly cannot be installed by non-customers anyway.)

Edited by Vistapocalypse

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, legacyfan said:

has anyone tried panda dome antivirus? i just tested it on vista and it still gets definitions and updates it works better than avast

I tried Panda Free six years ago and had to reinstall Vista due to the damage it caused. True, it still supports XP/Vista and is listed as ONG in this thread’s original post. (Bullguard is also ONG, has anyone tried that?) Your opinion “it works better than Avast” is not persuasive in the least to me. :no: Edit: Of course I don’t have your famous slow Vista laptop to worry about.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Perhaps it is unreasonable of me to hold a grudge against Panda over a debacle that occurred in March 2015. It would be interesting to know if the Panda version number installed on your Vista is truly the same as the version that would be installed on Win10 or even Win7 in 2021? (Online installers might deliver different Panda versions to different Windows versions.)

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Perhaps it is unreasonable of me to hold a grudge against Panda over a debacle that occurred in March 2015. It would be interesting to know if the Panda version number installed on your Vista is truly the same as the version that would be installed on Win10 or even Win7 in 2021? (Online installers might deliver different Panda versions to different Windows versions.)

here is a picture of the about section on panda antivirus it says its version 20.02.01 (found a better tool)

12.05.2021_15.55.14_REC.png

Edited by legacyfan

44 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

(sorry for the small picture my screenshot tools not very good)

Apologies accepted, but don't you have a working implementation of PRTSC (PrintScreen keyboard button) and Paint in your Vista install? 

1. Press PRTSC (screengrab is copied to memory as bitmap)

2. Open Paint, Edit -> Paste (screengrab is loaded), File -> Save as (PNG or JPG) and tada! 

No special screenshot tools needed... :;) FTR, I couldn't read any of the characters in the image you uploaded... :(

On 5/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, legacyfan said:

(found a better tool)

... Yes, thank you for the legible screenshot of Panda Dome's "about" window... :thumbup

Edited by VistaLover