Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Just now, burd said:

maybe because of the settings? or because the inf/cfg files are already inplace

Could be, but even after a direct copy from my desktop to the local machine, something breaks it. I'm wondering if there is some kind of file permission error somehow causing it to work.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:54 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I don’t know of any Norton users here anyway (I use Avast Free 18.8), but it sounds like definition updates for the XP/Vista version (final revision 22.15.5.40) will end February 28 according to a recent thread at Norton  Forums.

Just an FYI that NortonLifeLock has reversed its decision and is planning to continue delivering SDS (virus) definitions and other protection updates to the legacy version of Norton Security v22.15.x for Win XP and Vista beyond 28-Feb-2021.  See NortonLifeLock employee Gayathri_R's announcement today (08-Mar-2021) at Maintenance Mode for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 SP0 for Norton Security Software, which states in part:

Why is there a change in the End of Life plan for Windows XP and Windows Vista?

We have decided to continue supporting Windows XP/Windows Vista and Windows 7 SP0 operating systems as there are still good number of customers using these Operating systems. We want to keep them protected and give them more time to move to a supported OS version.

For more information regarding Maintenance Mode, please visit Norton Maintenance Mode for Windows XP and Windows Vista forum article

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone help test VLC 3 on x64 of Windows Vista 6.0.6002 and 6.0.6003?

I couldn't get most of audio playback formats working on my setup. I'm not sure if it's because of x64, my VMWare virtual machine, or sebsequent updates for Server 2008 that broke it.

Most of the issue description could be found here: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156554#p515049

On 2/1/2021 at 11:44 PM, lmacri said:

Hi Osman Kovan:

Are you able to purchase songs and/or download previous purchases from the iTunes Store if you sign in to iTunes v12.1.3.6 with two-factor authentication? Candy Crush Saga is a free app in Apple's App Store so I'm wondering you can actually purchase a song from the iTunes Store and download it to your Vista SP2 computer when you log in to the  iTunes Store with 2FA.
----------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 256 GB WD SATA HDD, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Unfortunately, I don't have any credit card to test this feature. So, I don't know that feature works or not.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, g_m_1990_ said:

Anyone help test VLC 3 on x64 of Windows Vista 6.0.6002 and 6.0.6003?

I couldn't get most of audio playback formats working on my setup. I'm not sure if it's because of x64, my VMWare virtual machine, or sebsequent updates for Server 2008 that broke it.

Most of the issue description could be found here: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156554#p515049

Your samples (mp3, mp4) play absolutely fine with VLC-3.0.12-win64 on 64-bit Vista without any updates , yes , I have no updates and I have no extended kernel. The test was done on real hardware. Also , tested DTS HD MA files and it plays them fine on my receiver. But louder than the older versions .

Suggestion : uninstall updates.

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I use VLC 2.2.5.1, haven't had any issues

VLC 2.2.5.1 doesn't support any multichannel audio tracks . There is no way to bypass DTS Master Audio (HD MA) or even ordinary DTS to receiver with any 2.x.x version. Even simple Dolby Digital 5.1 or TrueHd can't be played. So there's no way to use it for Blu-ray playback, unless you watch movies on a laptop or a PC with 90's style speakers with audio downsampled from HD Blu-ray track to simple PCM 2.0.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the date April 11 ring any bells? Today is the Fourth Anniversary of Windows Vista’s EOL. (Of course the 11th fell on a Tuesday in 2017.) I had joined MSFN a few months earlier, figuring (quite correctly) that this would be the last place on the internet  where Windows Vista diehards would congregate. Microsoft Security Essentials was nagging me about the approach of Doomsday. I was in a very fatalistic mood, and selected a screen name and avatar to match. Oddly enough, I now feel sentimental about those days. :blink:

Getting back on topic, VistaLover pointed out in a March 31 post in the XP forum that McAfee antivirus products old enough to work on Vista or XP have reportedly been unable to receive definition updates since January 1, 2021.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Does the date April 11 ring any bells? Today is the Fourth Anniversary of Windows Vista’s EOL. (Of course the 11th fell on a Tuesday in 2017.) I had joined MSFN a few months earlier, figuring (quite correctly) that this would be the last place on the internet  where Windows Vista diehards would congregate. Microsoft Security Essentials was nagging me about the approach of Doomsday. I was in a very fatalistic mood, and selected a screen name and avatar to match. Oddly enough, I now feel sentimental about those days. :blink:

Getting back on topic, VistaLover pointed out in a March 31 post in the XP forum that McAfee antivirus products old enough to work on Vista or XP have reportedly been unable to receive definition updates since January 1, 2021.

i didnt even know this year was 4 years wow! and i just started using vista this year i didint know about it before that

recent post in the XP forum convinces me that DVBViewer still supports vanilla Vista. Despite its focus on DVB, support for ATSC and ISDB is also mentioned e.g. here. If WinClient5270 should return, please add this to the list under DVR/PVR software ($$$, CS, ONG). You have been missed around here. :(

On 10/3/2020 at 5:36 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

WiseVector StopX is missing from the anti malware list with real time protection:

https://www.wisevector.com/en/

More info:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/wisevector-stop-x.431502/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/wisevector-free-ai-driven-security.87965/

It also works on Windows XP x32.

After reading recent discussion in the XP forum, perhaps I was mistaken to dismiss this suggestion on account of the product’s nationality. :blushing: Edit: I now find that WinClient5270 did add WiseVector StopX to the original post (last edited 10/4/2020), so I am doubly embarrassed. :blushing::blushing:

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Something not related to this thread: Windows Master Control Panel shortcut (that so-called "God Mode") is actually working on Windows Vista x64 - just make sure you paste the following path onto Windows explorer address bar and hit enter:

explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The only secure way to create an icon-ed shortcut for "God Mode" for Windows Vista x64 is to right click on desktop > new > create a shortcut, copy + paste the above path, and hit next button. Please do not attempt to create a system folder and place desktop.ini file with "All tasks" CLSID in it, or rename any folder with "foldername.{all_task_CLSID}"; that will crash explorer.exe and set the system into an infinite loop.

Windows Vista x86-32 bit should use any tricks mentioned above without issues (however I didn't test those on x86-32 bit - no 100% guarantee).

Hope I'm not the last person who knows this in this forum...

Edited by g_m_1990_

1 hour ago, g_m_1990_ said:

Something not related to this thread:

Speaking of OT discussions, did you ever solve the VLC problem you mentioned above on March 22? It works fine on a Vista 6.0.6002 x86 physical system, which obviously doesn’t help you at all. If “upgrading” to build 6003 per se broke VLC, it shouldn’t have taken two years for someone at MSFN to notice that, so your VMWare theory seems better.

I’m expecting a new VLC version to be released very soon, and another theory comes to mind: Is it possible that you don’t have Platform Update for Windows Vista installed? You may want to search Installed Updates for KB960362, KB971512, KB971513, KB971514 and KB2117917. (They should be available from Microsoft Update Catalog or greenhillmaniac’s repository.) Version compatibility summary at VideoLAN wiki remarks, “It is highly recommended to install the Platform Update.” The changelog for VLC 3.0.0 at GitHub was somewhat more adamant: “Windows Vista (all versions) without Platform Upgrade is not supported.”