Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

...The last version of Foxit Products that unofficially supports Vista SP2 was 9.6.0.25114, from July 2019; later versions demand Win7 SP1 as minimum :realmad: ... Foxit "Products" include both PhantomPDF...and Reader

Hmm, the original post still lists them both as ONG under PDF Viewers/Editors, so hopefully WinClient5270 will fix that sometime. (I still prefer my old Adobe Reader XI.)

A lesser known browser (which is pretty much a personal project) named "Catsxp" has a Vista-compatible version 0.6.3 (Chomium 85 based). Till now only x86-32 builds are available. Newer version does not work. https://www.catsxp.com/ (Sorry, the site is only available in simplfied Chinese. :( )

If you don't trust Qihoo 360 Chrome Browser, maybe give a shot on this one, but I don't really recommend this since it's also a closed-source browser.

As far as I know it forked from Brave which is also a Chromium-based browser. I also did some search on Google and find author's repositories but pretty much they are adblock plugins used by Catsxp. https://github.com/catsxp?tab=repositories

Edit: Now I completely won't recommend this to anyone now as the developer removed 0.6.3 download link and mentioned in his reply email to me that he has given up Windows Vista support. What's more, 0.6.3 has a serious flaw on YouTube video playback even if you turn off "shield up this website", and there's no way to completely disable "trackers and ads blocking" as each time you open settings page it reverts back to "Standard" setting (this might have something to do with YouTube playback).

Edited by g_m_1990_

I can't recollect whether it's been already reported in this thread ( :dubbio:), but DB Browser for SQLite , a very handy tool to inspect and manipulate SQLite databases, has moved past Vista SP2 support... :( :angry:

Recent versions 3.12.x have been compiled using Qt5.12.x and thus require at least Win7 SP1... :realmad: The last Vista-compatible version is 3.11.2 (compiled with Qt5.7.1), official download links by vendor below: 

https://sqlitebrowser.org/blog/version-3-11-2-released/

https://sqlitebrowser.org/blog/portableapp-for-3-11-2-release-now-available/

• 4 weeks later...

I went through my Steam library to find out what games work, what don't. Tried this on VMWare so they may all not work. (BEFORE EX KERNEL)

Among Us: GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx could not be located in Kernel32.DLL. May be a 32 bit issue.
BeamNG: PowerClearRequest could not be located in Kernel32.DLL. Not a 32 bit issue.
Cities:Skylines: Launched then closed. No logs. Not a 32 bit issue.
Game Dev Tycoon: Works
Garrys Mod: TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive not found in kernel32.dll. Possibly a 32 bit issue.
GeometryDash: App failed to init properly (0xc0150002)
A Hat in Time: Loads but stops working when loading saves
Kerbal Space Program: Failed to load mono
OxygenNotIncluded: GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx not found in KERNEL32.DLL
Phasmophobia: GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx not found in KERNEL32.DLL
Terraria: Terraria has stopped working
Wallpaper Engine: SetThreadErrorMode was not found in KERNEL32.DLL, there is a 64 bit version which has same error

(AFTER EX KERNEL ON REAL PC)
Among Us: Same error, 32 bit issue
BeamNG: Launches but black screen
Cities:Skylines: Same problem
Garrys Mod: Works
GeometryDash: Same error
A Hat in Time:
Kerbal Space Program: Works
Oxygen Not Included: Closes after Klei logo
Phasmophobia: Works
Wallpaper Engine: Said that 7+ was recommended, still let me run. Then we got DisplayConfigGetDeviceINfo could not be located in USER32.DLL

13 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive not found in kernel32.dll
GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx not found in KERNEL32.DLL

TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive can be replaced with AcquireSRWLockExclusive .

GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx can be replaced with GetLogicalProcessorInformation.

You need to use CFF Explorer. I'm guessing you're familiar with the procedure.

If not , just scroll the extended kernel topic back. I've successfully launched the programmes

I wanted to launch . Keep in mind , I'm not using the ex-kernel and I don't have it installed.

If you encounter another error (the next in the queue) , you need to replace it too, with something

similar , or just open the programme you want to launch in the Dependency walker and see all of that 

it "wants" in advance . This fix works , but not every time , of course.

Edited by Dixel
Added info

Replaced that and it brought me to an error saying "Failed to load il2cpp"

Currently, our dependency problems are:
SetThreadErrorMode
DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo

Any idea where these can go?

3 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Currently, our dependency problems are:
SetThreadErrorMode
DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo

SetThreadErrorMode replace with SetErrorMode , this should do.

DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo = I'm afraid you're outta luck with this one , it's a tough uncle of a bleach , otherwise the game would definitely launch. 

Perhaps win32 will suggest something too.

Just now, win32 said:

Did you try running it in DX9 or DX11 mode?

Have not tried it in that mode. But other than that, Wallpaper Engine now has that last DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo error. I would assume it may be just some information polling of the display / GPU?

1 minute ago, Tonny52 said:

Have not tried it in that mode. But other than that, Wallpaper Engine now has that last DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo error. I would assume it may be just some information polling of the display / GPU?

Yes. EnumDisplayDevicesW seems faintly familiar, but it returns completely different info so it's likely not a suitable replacement.

And more proof of crummy MS documentation. It lies to users about the function being in Vista!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-displayconfiggetdeviceinfo

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes. EnumDisplayDevicesW seems faintly familiar, but it returns completely different info so it's likely not a suitable replacement.

And more proof of crummy MS documentation. It lies to users about the function being in Vista!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-displayconfiggetdeviceinfo

I would assume that something that does what MS says it does (Get display information) would be a suitable replacement. Seems like this call is pretty important for the program to even run.

The Among Us error may be something with Unity... but Unity on Oxygen Not Included runs and launches fine.

I can say that the latest version of osu! runs fine. Only needs .NET 4.0 minimum.

Correction: I have no idea what I did the first time, but all the Unity based games aren't loading anymore. They loaded before!!!

Edited by Tonny52

Alright, I'm in a certain situation here.

Playing the games locally on the machine using it's steam will result in crashes in almost every game.

Playing the game over an SMB share of my Windows 7 desktop's steam library does not result in this.
Trying this method caused Terraria to start working.

Edited by Tonny52

6 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Correction: I have no idea what I did the first time, but all the Unity based games aren't loading anymore. They loaded before!!!

My guess is that unity games use the same TEMP folder . I've encountered weird errors and some games won't even launch and/or load the saved settings (graphics quality , etc) . What to do ? Just calm down , wait , relaunch . May resolve itself on it's own in a day or two. Also , unity engine has extensive telemetry and the logs/reports/temp files usually go into the same folder for all games . My observations that all of the above leads to numerous glitches. 

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

My guess is that unity games use the same TEMP folder . I've encountered weird errors and some games won't even launch and/or load the saved settings (graphics quality , etc) . What to do ? Just calm down , wait , relaunch . May resolve itself on it's own in a day or two. Also , unity engine has extensive telemetry and the logs/reports/temp files usually go into the same folder for all games . My observations that all of the above leads to numerous glitches. 

Possibly, could be the same for the Unreal game (A Hat in Time)

8 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Playing the game over an SMB share of my Windows 7 desktop's steam library does not result in this.

Trying this method caused Terraria to start working.

Does anyone know why this works??

4 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

Does anyone know why this works??

maybe because of the settings? or because the inf/cfg files are already inplace, in vista there are instances where those files wont be created.

Edited by burd