Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Thanks VistaLover! :worship: I didn’t even ask about TLS 1.3, but since you have brought it up:

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The problem is that YB 17.6 was released at a time when TLS 1.3 hadn't been finalised yet, so it only supports a TLS 1.3 draft preceding the final one (i.e. RFC8446)

Isn’t something similar also true of Firefox ESR 52, which was also released in 2017? Or did a subsequent security update give FF 52.9 support for the final version of TLS 1.3 you mention? If not, do UXP browsers now support the final version?

I understand that 360EE formerly had support for TLS 1.3 that was reportedly broken in recent versions, at least for XP. If a Vista user wanted support for the final TLS 1.3 version, what browser?

On 9/20/2020 at 3:04 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Isn’t something similar also true of Firefox ESR 52, which was also released in 2017? Or did a subsequent security update give FF 52.9 support for the final version of TLS 1.3 you mention?

Self-reliance is considered a virtue in America, even if impatience is not. A quick search reveals that RFC 8446 was published in August 2018, so such TLS 1.3 support as FF52 has can only be prototypical (unless the mysterious 52.9.1 remedied that, but I don’t recall anyone claiming that it did).

On 9/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Isn’t something similar also true of Firefox ESR 52, which was also released in 2017? Or did a subsequent security update give FF 52.9 support for the final version of TLS 1.3 you mention? If not, do UXP browsers now support the final version?

Firefox 52 shipped with TLS 1.2 default with optional Draft 18 spec TLS 1.3 support. Even 52.9.0 ESR still only supports up to Draft 18 TLS 1.3. The first UXP browsers to support the RFC 8446 TLS 1.3 spec (final) by default are:

Mypal 28.3.1 (Feodor2)

Centaury 0.0.3 (Feodor2)

New Moon 28.3.0a1 (2018-12-21) (RoyTam1)

Serpent 2018.12.21 (RoyTam1)

• 2 weeks later...

WiseVector StopX is missing from the anti malware list with real time protection:

https://www.wisevector.com/en/

More info:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/wisevector-stop-x.431502/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/wisevector-free-ai-driven-security.87965/

It also works on Windows XP x32.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Speaking of Chinese products, Qihoo 360 and Tencent PC Manager are also missing (which is fine with me).

It's also totally fine with me, too. Would rather not link to anything Chinese and security especially given Qihoo's less-than-good reputation (false updates; sending better builds of their software for testers; etc) and ridiculous levels of false positives.

Edited by MintChocAero

Hello everyone. I'm sorry for the long periods of inactivity lately. I've finally gotten around to getting the list up to date. Here's a summary of changes:

• Updated all links for Windows Vista Service Packs and Platform Update to ones provided by @greenhillmaniac as Microsoft removed these updates.
  • Removed the link to my "Fix Windows Update stuck on Checking for updates in Windows Vista" video since Windows Update on Vista was shut down in August 2020.
  • Fixed last version of eM Client for Vista: changed from version 7.2.36694.0 to slightly older 7.2.35595.0 (thanks to @tweak and @Vistapocalypse for pointing out this error).

There remain some broken links to Microsoft content, mainly in the Additional Microsoft Software & Utilities & Microsoft Office Add-ins & Tools sections. These were likely purged during the "SHA-1pocoplyse" of August 2020. I will work to restore these the best I can as time goes on. Hopefully they are available at the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Has PicoTorrent been mentioned in this thread? The most recent stable, native x64 build works on Windows Vista SP2.

It's also got a portable version, so it's worth a nod towards. Requires the VC++ 2015-2019 redistributable to be installed.

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

17 hours ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

Has PicoTorrent been mentioned in this thread? The most recent stable, native x64 build works on Windows Vista SP2.

It's also got a portable version, so it's worth a nod towards. Requires the VC++ 2015-2019 redistributable to be installed.

No, PicoTorrent is not yet listed in the original post under BitTorrent/P2P Clients.

In the same category, eMule should still have ONG support, since October 2020 v0.60a reportedly works on XP. It looks like 64-bit builds are a new feature for eMule, so someone running Vista x64 may want to try it.

13 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

In the same category, eMule should still have ONG support, since October 2020 v0.60a reportedly works on XP. It looks like 64-bit builds are a new feature for eMule, so someone running Vista x64 may want to try it.

Can confirm the 64-bit builds work on Vista SP2. No idea about Windows XP/Server 2003 x64, but here's a sigh of relief as I was expecting it to break (due to the use of VS2019).

On a side note, eMule's website strongly reminds me of ZSNES's...

6 hours ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

No idea about Windows XP/Server 2003 x64, but here's a sigh of relief as I was expecting it to break (due to the use of VS2019).

VS 2019 can still specifically target Windows XP. Since it works on NT 5.1, 5.2 x64 is probably a pass since it has more API functions implemented than 5.1.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:40 AM, Koishi Komeiji said:

Can confirm the 64-bit builds [of eMule v0.60a] work on Vista SP2.

Thanks for that!

I see you were interested in the thread about a PCSX2 backport for XP. We have a short list of Console Emulators in the original post of this thread that shows PCSX2 support for vanilla Vista as ONGoing. I wonder if that is still true of v1.6.0 considering minimum system requirements now call for Windows 7 or newer? (If not, then either the backport for XP or extended kernel for Vista may be needed now.) Looks like the BIOS file from a PS2 console is needed. I’m not a gamer and don’t have a PS2, and in any case my old Vista hardware seems to be on its last legs these days. :(

Edited by Vistapocalypse
typographical error corrected

I mean, I'm interested enough to notice that you made a spelling mistake in the emulator's name in your post, right there. XD

I'll have a look at some point, but it's also worth noting (if you want to put these here) that the latest development builds of FCEUX work (tested the x64 version on both NT 5.2 and 6.0), as does the latest stable of Snes9x (1.60 if I'm not mistaken) which is a nice breath of fresh air. I have a real PS2 anyway so there's no legal implication to using the BIOS providing I use the one from my model (SCPH-50003), as I don't actually know how to dump it despite it being FMCB'd - I think something like that would require extra hardware-mods to dump properly.

For more unified options in regards to console emulation, RetroArch broke compatibility some time ago without anyone noticing it (in fact I was the very person who pointed out their website info was inaccurate as well as the fact that using the MSVC2010 builds meant not having advantages like DX11), but I'd recommend Mednafen over RetroArch anyday given it actually makes some form of sense to the user and isn't a bloated mess. :P

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

• 2 weeks later...