Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

2 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

What really strikes me as odd is how there is this huge compatibility gap when Vista and W7 are the most similar Windows there could possibly be!

Support for XP and Vista was a "bug" that the Chromium Project resolved to fix 4 years ago: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=579196. (By the way, did the Vista ISO contain either of the media sample files you sought?)

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Support for XP and Vista was a "bug" that the Chromium Project resolved to fix 4 years ago: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=579196.

(By the way, did the Vista ISO contain either of the media sample files you sought?)

Yes, it did! Found them immediately, thanks Vista, you rock!

I guess it was relevant that the computer in question was upgraded in place from Vista to 7. The files must have been in the Windows.old folder, or simply ported over during the upgrade.

"If it ain't broke, break it". That seems to be the entire philosophy here.

Their rationale is just pure stupid. Vista was not even EOS in 2016, what the heck were they thinking!?? Minimize software compatibility, that's a sure way to get people to hate you!

Do Chrome extensions continue to work fine in Chrome 49?

If so, as long as webpages work, then I guess it's not a huge issue, even if it's four years out of date, as eventually Chrome 70 will also be four years out of date (it's already one year old) so it's a lose lose either way. My guess is this is the beginning of the end for Chromium since they don't care squat about compatibility or user experience.

Fixed, new and updated links:

Vivaldi 1.1.453.59 Stable [Apr. 2016] Based on Chromium 50. Download here.

Yandex Browser v17.4.1.1026 [Mar. 2017] Based on Chromium 57. Download here and rename .arc to .exe ...

New Moon and Serpent by roytam1 Download unofficial installer by fellow MSFN member i430VX here.

Mozilla Firefox 52.9.1 Extended Support Release (ESR) [Sep. 2018] Download from Mozilla here (WIN32 / WIN64)

Use these language files ... Download from Mozilla here (WIN32 / WIN64)

Use this extension to re-enable all signed extensions and themes ... Download from Mozilla here.

Set xpinstall.signatures.required to false (in about:config)  to enable unsigned extensions.

Edited by RetroFan

On 2/20/2020 at 5:59 AM, RetroFan said:

Yandex Browser v17.4.1.1026 [Mar. 2017] Based on Chromium 57. Download here and rename .arc to .exe ...

Additional links:

1. From a browser with a UA advertising XP/Vista (NT<= 6.0) :

https://browser.yandex.com/download?full=1

2, Using any UA:

http://download.cdn.yandex.net/browser/_xp_builds/int/en/Yandex.exe

http://download.cdn.yandex.net/browser/update/17_4_1_1026_2644_w_s_m/yandex.exe

FTR, the downloaded file has a digital signature (it's dual signed, i.e. both SHA1+SHA256) dating from September 24th 2017 (not Mar. 2017, as stated...)

On 2/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I was not very happy with the installer.
(snipped)
- but I quickly found that the executable was not in Program Files, but rather in the administrator's AppData folder!?
I decided to try an offline installer from a third party
(snipped)
but that was no better.

The above behaviour is by design; only per user installations (not global) are allowed by the installer:

https://yandex.com/support/browser/about/install.html

How can I install the browser for all my Windows accounts?

At this time, you can't install the browser for multiple Windows users.

That means the global installation directory (%PROGRAMFILES%) is not used, only the current Windows account's HOME directory (%APPDATA%) is... ;)

after manually removing Yandex, which needless to say will not uninstall in the usual way

Their documentation describes what, to me at least, appears to be a fairly standard way: :P

1. Close all browser windows.
2. Open the Control Panel.
3. Go to Programs → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
4. In the Uninstall or change program window, select the Yandex program.
5. Click the Uninstall button at the top of the list.
6. Click Delete in the window that opens.
7. Click Delete browser.

Perhaps this is why VistaLover sought a portable version in the first place?

Anyone following my posts, especially in this thread, will surely know I'm an avid fan of Portable software installations, especially in the PAF format; this "love-affair" with portables began a long time ago, when I had a very small C: drive and I thus had to try/install various apps in my second, external USB, drive (then D:); also, having both the program's core files and settings in the same directory becomes very handy when you want to "re-install" or carry the fully customised program to a different host...

While currently I have ample disk space in my "OS" drive, the habit of portable installs has endured all these years... However, in the case of Yandex Browser 17.6, the portable "package" is the ONLY way, because the proper YB 17.6.0.1633 installer is very hard to come across, plus it's been (artificially) blocked from launching under Vista (and, as I recall, I did mention this fact somewhere previously in this very thread... ;) ); so, the available 17.4 installer being only capable of "per user" installations was not the reason I had chosen "portable" in this case... :P

Best regards :)

On 2/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, VistaLover said:

only per user installations (not global) are allowed by the [Yandex] installer

In retrospect, it was only this unexpected property of the installer that displeased me. Until your reply, the thought never occurred to me that a standard user might be able to install Yandex without being prompted for administrator confirmation. I uninstalled my most recent administrator's installation via Control Panel, which was successful this time (uncertain how I botched an earlier uninstall, but I may have been logged in as the wrong user), and now have Yandex 17.4.1 installed only on the standard user account that I use for web surfing, which is actually cool. :cool:

On 2/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, VistaLover said:

the global installation directory (%PROGRAMFILES%) is not used, only the current Windows account's HOME directory (%APPDATA%) is

Actually, if the current user is an administrator, one application named service_update is installed in Program Files; but even that file goes in AppData if a standard user installs. ;)

Since you have considerable experience with Yandex 17, it would be interesting to know what extensions you prefer to use with it, starting with an ad blocker. As you know, Yandex has an arrangement with Adguard, which has a permanent place on the Extensions tab, just waiting to be turned On. I have tried it, but the question naturally arises whether it is possible to use uBlock Origin with Yandex? According to this link, "Yandex Browser only supports extensions from the Opera add-ons catalog." If you browse the Opera addons site using almost any browser, you can readily find UBO - but not if you browse the site using Yandex:

1292320415_noublockforyandex.thumb.JPG.d6cfbbbff0542b0e6d53db4819fb7741.JPG

One would naturally conclude that UBO is incompatible with Yandex. Adblock Plus also cannot be found at the site using Yandex, and yet this link shows that ABP supported Yandex five years ago, and leads one not to Opera addons but to chrome web store:

431306341_ABPchromestore.thumb.JPG.97f8927671c5775bdeb08a31890b15d1.JPG

1960772681_ABPSuccessful.thumb.JPG.b16c9d19fdd64625aedef70856810381.JPG

I wonder if UBO could also be installed for Yandex 17 from the chrome store, but I'm too tired to try tonight.

My apologies if this is well known to the 2 or 3 people who already use Yandex 17, but the answer is yes: uBlock Origin 1.24.4 can be installed from the chrome store:

378882925_UBOonYandex.thumb.JPG.bf1560be334ee982267f4ab781ba3ce2.JPG

I may not be the best UBO tester because I have not been using the unsigned legacy versions with Firefox, but this recent stable version certainly seems to be working. Call me paranoid if you must, but I get the feeling that Yandex and the Opera addons site are in cahoots to promote the installation of Adguard. (I still do not trust those Russians very much.) :unsure:

1882274581_OperaUBOCannot.thumb.JPG.6c49cbb8b871230095b32c310f0f9849.JPG

Hello everyone. Sorry it took me so long to get the list updated again, had a lot going on outside of MSFN lately.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the contributions and keeping the topic alive in my absence. March 1 marked 4 years since I originally posted this list back in 2016... I can't believe it has already been that long! :o Time flies...

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 15, 2020:

• Added updated links for Roytam Browser installer by i430VX, Vivaldi 1.1.443.3 Developer, and last version of Yandex for Windows XP/Vista.
  • Updated Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR entry to Mozilla Firefox 52.9.1 ESR, along with new links.
  • Added link to addon that allows you to reenable all signed extensions and themes for Mozilla Firefox 52.x.
  • Added last version of Piriform CCleaner (5.64.7577) for Windows Vista (and XP), with download link.
Edited by WinClient5270

On 3/1/2016 at 7:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Mozilla Firefox 52.9.1 Extended Support Release (ESR) (FREEOS) [Sep. 2018] Download from Mozilla here: 32 bit - 64 bit

I wonder why 52.9.0 does not simply update to 52.9.1 in the usual way? Perhaps because the 52.9.1 tinderbox build contained no significant changes. I will continue to use 52.9.0 on Vista x86. Are you saying that the 64-bit build works on Vista x64? That would be remarkable.

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I wonder why 52.9.0 does not simply update to 52.9.1 in the usual way? Perhaps because the 52.9.1 tinderbox build contained no significant changes. I will continue to use 52.9.0 on Vista x86. Are you saying that the 64-bit build works on Vista x64? That would be remarkable.

Yes, this has been known for quite some time, however the original posts on it were removed following the June 2018 server crash, so allow me to post here how to get it working, since it requires special steps:

1. Download the 52.9.1 64 bit installer, linked on the list.

2. Extract it using 7zip. In the extracted folder, open the "core" subdirectory:

ksmAtDC.png

3. Download @blackwingcat's "Pemaker" program here. After downloading, be sure to run it as administrator, otherwise the following will not work.

4. After opening Pemaker, click the "English" checkbox, and then click on the "load" button on the main program window under the "main" tab. After doing this, browse to the "firefox.exe" file in the core subdirectory of the extracted 52.9.1 installer, and open it in Pemaker. After doing this, change the "OSVersion" and "SubSysVersion" values to 6.0 from 6.1:

wXtMe9o.png

5. After doing this, click on the "Save" button and save the file to a location different from the "core" subdirectory, such as your desktop. Repeat these steps for all .EXE files in the "core" directory.

RQi3jwB.png

6. After doing this, copy and paste all your modified .EXE files to the "core" subdirectory, replacing all original .exe files.

7. If you did everything correctly, you should now be able to run Firefox 52.9.1 ESR 64-bit just fine in Windows Vista!

ekmsN3D.png

KSz9drt.png

3yyyRdQ.png

I will update the Firefox list entry to include this guide.

Edited by WinClient5270

I found a way to fix the iTunes login error

NOTE: This tutorial may required to install all Windows updates and TLS 1.2 updates for IE9 first.

WARNING: Doing this will causing applications such as Ripcord will cannot connect to Discord at all (Please read it below to fix it too).

and don't worry, This is not VPN at all, it's only a proxy to forcing connections to TLS 1.2

Follow this instructions:

1. Download the proxy from this site (i recommended to visit this page with Adblocker):
(This link may not work for all user) https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/0gOGv38Q/file.html

Mirror (if you are in UK or incase link doesnt work): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZxAGfPnqJbZhZWJtRdwltwxPG5i7iMzM/view?usp=sharing

2. Extract 2 folders

ProxHTTPSProxyMII_CertIns_Windows and ProxHTTPSProxyMII_REV3a_UPX.

to C:\ProxHTTPS (create it)

RAR Password: D$BYzI42P&h6K§vM9VCj5b1%vA7"y9KeU3n3h29Tr

3. Then go to ProxHTTPSProxyMII_CertIns_Windows and Run ProxHTTPS Cert Install.exe and wait for few seconds

4. Then go back and go to ProxHTTPSProxyMII_REV3a_UPX and Create a shortcut to ProxySwitch like this:

Screenshot_74.png.f7e8cf6c32e245d1e74b7cb5e0b868c5.png

Then add A at the end of the target.

Run the Shortcut to ProxySwitch.bat

And wait for it close for few seconds.

4.5: Fixing Ripcord

When i trying to login to Discord, it's refusing the connection without any error, to fix this:

Open config.ini file and add:

discord.gg
discordapp.com
gateway.discord.gg

below [SSL Pass-Thru].

Screenshot:

Screenshot_85.png.df533d3a7d5672b42c420111b7ccc330.png

Back to iTunes tutorial:

5. Run ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe (if you see Windows Firewall message, Unblock it)

then Create a Shortcut for ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe and Put it on Startup Folder:

Screenshot_76.jpg.5064dfed2ff659eaabe8bbec3287896f.jpg

DONE.

Screenshot_75.thumb.jpg.5dc4d21362462c689b119b693a7d0084.jpg

Edited by DungCS
fixed link for some users

This thread is a gold mine for people who still cherish their old Vista installations. I registered just to post an update: I accidentally discovered that Foxit PhantomPDF no longer works on Vista as of Version 9.7 - the common "TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive not found in Kernel32.dll" error. Version 9.6 still works perfectly.

Ohsoft! ocam 500.0 was released today. entry point not found. kerne32.dll. v495.0 is ok
ZvdsVFc.png

GOM Player 2.3.50.5314 last for XP

2020-03-12

End of Support Notice for Windows XP

We regret to inform you that we will end support of GOM Player for Window XP from 18th February 2020.

Despite the end of Microsoft support, GOM Player tried to continue to support it for the existing Window XP users. But it became difficult for us to support it due to several issues such as OS environment which was changed recently and Hardware environment, etc.
Please check the below so that you would not be inconvenienced while using the service.

The Product whose support will end : GOM Player for Windows
    OS whose support will end : Windows XP
    The Effective date : The date of GOM Player's February 2020 Update (It will be applied to users who download GOM Player for Window from 18th February 2020.)

As the existing Windows XP users are no longer able to update GOM Player, we recommend you use Windows 7 OS or higher for better use of GOM Player.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
GOM & Company

Download the last supported version of GOM Player for Windows XP:
- GOM Player Download
https://cdn.gomlab.com/gretech/oldgom/player/xp_sp3/GOMPLAYERGLOBALSETUP_NEW.EXE
- GOM Player Plus (32bit) Download
https://cdn.gomlab.com/gretech/oldgom/player/xp_sp3/GOMPLAYERPLUS32SETUP.EXE

Edited by sukistackhouse