Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

12 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

GTA V Can no longer be be played on Vista. Has anyone found some solution? Only 1.48 patch works 1.50 crashes while trying to load single/multiplayer

Yeah, they upgraded the Chromium release used in the Launcher. Is there any way to restore the old version so the game is still playable on Vista?

Unfortunately i'm giving up on vista. Rocket league stopped working. Some missing kernel extension. Skype and teamspeak are no longer a thing. ripcord is somehow useful but looks like a program from the 90's also no screenshare,webcam etc..  Teamviewer no longer supports Vista and i'm not even talking about browser support and hardware support. So long my friend. i'm so sad to do this, but it is necessary.

10 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Teamviewer no longer supports Vista

On 8/20/2019 at 4:30 AM, WinClient5270 said:

Added TeamViewer 14.2.8352 as last version for Vista to "Remote Access" section.

I'm not a TV user, so I had missed this unfortunate development... :( I went earlier on the official site to fetch and archive an installer of the last Vista compatible TV version, where I found the following notice:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Which-operating-systems-are-supported/ta-p/24141

Hint: Using older versions of TeamViewer requires a TeamViewer license. We kindly ask all free users to use the latest main-version of TeamViewer.
----------------------------------------------------------
Windows Vista ¹ Server 2008 ¹ => TeamViewer 8–14.2

Unfortunately, the latest version is v15 (15.2.2756 to be exact) and I have confirmed it doesn't launch under Vista (due to missing function calls in Vista's system files... :realmad: ); so, the last Vista compatible version, v14.2.x, can't be used anymore with a free licence... :angry: :realmad:

Note: we are no longer actively servicing Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. You can continue using the last supported version of TeamViewer on those operating systems

But even if you pay for a commercial licence, there are limitations:

Sunsetting active servicing of operating systems

You can continue using the last supported version of TeamViewer – version 14.2 – on these operating systems. But please be aware that outgoing connections from TeamViewer can only connect to a remote device running the same or lower version of TeamViewer. This means you won’t be able to connect from Windows XP/Vista/2003/2008 to a remote computer running TeamViewer 15, for example. However, incoming connections to XP/Vista/2003/2008 from a remote computer with a higher version of TeamViewer are always possible

That previous link suggests going to

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/previous-versions/

for a v14 download; v14.7.13736 is displayed there (???); I am using NM28 and my UA does advertise my Vista OS (NT 6.0); the link to the installer is

https://download.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

Upon clicking that, it redirects to

https://dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.56673/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

which suggests a v14.2.56673 is the last Vista compatible TV version; however, it is impossible for me to complete the download, the browser generates an error, the wording is "The page doesn't redirect correctly" (translated from Greek); what gives? :realmad:

The portable download link

https://download.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/TeamViewerPortable.zip

simply fetches v14.7.13736, which I confirmed doesn't launch under Vista... :realmad:; at last, I was successful in fetching the portable version of TV v14.2.56673 via the following, manually composed, link:

https://dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.56673/TeamViewerPortable.zip

... and I confirmed v14.2.56673 (portable) does successfully launch here (be it only after a considerable while since the main executable is double-clicked):

BP5x4ou.jpg

... But, the installer of v14.2.56673 is still a no-go for me... :realmad:

... And do you want to know how I ended up getting that one? By requesting version 14.2.8352 (!) :angry: ; yes, the link (manually composed): 

https://dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.8352/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

will fetch: l8WLvQe.jpg :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: How MAD has this world become? :(

Edited by VistaLover

19 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Unfortunately i'm giving up on vista.

I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound like most of what you do requires at least Windows 7.

Rocket league stopped working. Some missing kernel extension.

Could you specify what exactly is happening with Rocket League? It isn't officially supported on Vista so I'm not surprised to learn that it has stopped working. I'm not much of a gamer by any means, but what few games I do play all work fine on Vista.

Skype and teamspeak are no longer a thing. ripcord is somehow useful but looks like a program from the 90's also no screenshare,webcam etc.. 

As for Skype and Teamspeak, I have never (nor will I ever) use them, so this is a non-issue for me, however, you can still use the web version of Skype and Discord. Discord Voice, Screenshare, and Webcam support can easily be achieved on Vista using the last compatible Yandex version for it, which is based on Chromium 58. It also works on roytam1's Serpent as long as you spoof the useragent to Firefox 68.0.

Teamviewer no longer supports Vista and i'm not even talking about browser support and hardware support.

Roytam1's Serpent and New Moon are still great options for Windows Vista and continue to be updated weekly. I have only encountered a site or two that complained my browser was out of date, however spoofing the UA to Firefox 68.0 always solves the problem and the site works just fine. For the few sites that are Chromium-biased (I don't mean sites that won't work in Firefox-based browsers, just one that work smoother in Chrome-based ones), I use Yandex Browser which still works great, however due to lack of updates I expect this to change eventually. I could install the Chromium 78-based 360 EE if I wanted, but I don't trust it at all due to the plethora of privacy issues it seems to have. So I doubt I'll ever install it.

Hardware support? On the Intel side of things it has been in a sad state of affairs since Haswell was released. However, the grass is much greener on the other side - AMD's Ryzen platform works with Windows Vista using Windows 7 drivers, as tested by @greenhillmaniac.

I can understand one's reasons for needing to move to something more compatible, though. But depending on what one needs, Vista (and XP) is still very much usable in 2020 and I don't see that changing for as long as this community is around.

Edited by WinClient5270

15 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

using the last compatible Yandex version for it, which is based on Chromium 58
(snipped)
I use Yandex Browser which still works great,

... Yes, Yandex 17.6 (Chromium 58.0.3029.1633) appears to still handle successfully most sites I throw at it; if you additionally enable in flags (browser://flags/) Experimental JavaScript (it was experimental at the time Chromium 58 was released, most of it has become standard nowadays): 

browser://flags/#enable-javascript-harmony

you'll increase considerably its compatibility with today's web :cheerleader:; even latest GitHub appears to function as intended with that setting turned on! 

I could install the Chromium 78-based 360 EE if I wanted, but I don't trust it at all due to the plethora of privacy issues it seems to have. So I doubt I'll ever install it.

Well, I can certainly understand your privacy concerns, but I have opted to use the Russian repacked X-portable (WinPenPack format) version of 360EEv12 here: 

5PClkaM.jpg

The Russian modder has removed most of the telemetry features phoning Beijing (and this has been confirmed by fellow MSFN members in the relevant thread) :

Features of "360 Extreme Explorer Repack" :

3. Patched chrome.dll (by El Sanchez) which performs:
     - replacement in 360EE of the Chinese webstore extensions with the GWS ones;
     - Replacing the "haosou" search engine with google for text translation functions;
     - removal of the list of recommended phrases in the search bar;
     - removal of sending statistics (telemetry) and crash reports;
     - opens a new page instead of the Chinese startpage, "hao.360.cn", and by pressing F1 instead of going to the Qihoo 360 forum page;
     - partial disabling of the integrity check for plug-ins/modules;
     - (English) translation of the title of the window for changing browser themes
 4. Feedback and 360BDoctor modules removed

As one would expect, it's quite superior to YB in page rendering and RAM consumption/management, plus has full TLS 1.3 (final) support (which YB 17.6 lacks; only supports a previous to final draft); but its main drawback is that although you can manually install extensions from GWS, the browser can't check GWS for extension updates automatically :angry: (that's because Google services in general are banned in China); one has to check for extension updates manually on the corresponding extension's GWS page, export settings (for the ones that come with such a feature), remove the old version, manually install the updated version and manually re-import its settings from the back up file... 

BTW, I have stayed at version 12.0.1012.0 (current is 12.0.1053.0) because that's the last one in which the native dark mode (chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark) works without issues... 

Does the last compatible version of Teamviewer for Vista no longer work?

I now see you have edited out that part in your last post (it's still there, though, in the e-mail notification of the original post ;) ), because at first I got the impression my TeamViewer dedicated post had simply gone totally unnoticed... :dubbio:

All the best :)

Edited by VistaLover

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 3:13 AM, RetroFan said:

Vivaldi 1.1.443.3 Developer [Apr. 2016] Based on Chromium 49. Download here.

Welcome to MSFN RetroFan, and thanks for the missing link. Our link for Vivaldi 1.1.453.59 Stable seems to be broken. Can you find that also?

Just below Vivaldi in the list, our link for Yandex Browser v17.4.1.1026 always times out on me, but https://browser.yandex.com/ seems to correctly detect Vista and offer that version these days. I have paid attention to my friend @VistaLover's posts about Yandex and had been meaning to try it for some time. Last week I found that I could no longer sign in at Apple Support Community with Firefox ESR 52, so I decided it was time to install Yandex. It did enable me to sign in at Apple Support on Vista; and even though this version is based on Chromium 57 rather than 58 like the portable version that VistaLover now advocates, it does display YouTube's Polymer v2 layout by default (hence will retain YouTube functionality longer than other browsers that are commonly used on Vista and XP, as VistaLover pointed out in a February 6 post).

While impressed by the browser's functionality, I was not very happy with the installer. The first thing I noticed was that it did not create shortcuts in the standard user account that I always use for web browsing, which is no major issue (just create them yourself) - but I quickly found that the executable was not in Program Files, but rather in the administrator's AppData folder!? I decided to try an offline installer from a third party (after manually removing Yandex, which needless to say will not uninstall in the usual way), but that was no better. Perhaps this is why VistaLover sought a portable version in the first place?

@Vistapocalypse

Is there any way to get Iron 70 (fork of Chrome 70) to run on Vista?

I use New Moon on W2K, but unfortunately I need Chrome for a few things. Iron is literally Chrome minus the privacy invasions. Otherwise it's the same browser.

I use version 70 on newer versions of Windows because it's the last version of Chromium before the UI/UX was completely screwed up with no option to go back to the old UI.

I tried installing Iron 70, the 64-bit version, which is way above the equivalent Chrome 49 version.

The exe installer didn't work. Surprisingly, the MSI installer did, and so I thought I could be smart in getting it to work.

Unfortunately, once I try to launch it, I get "The procedure entry point TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll'

I copied kernel32 from Windows 7 to Windows Vista and renamed it kernel33.

I hex edited chrome.dll, iron.dll, and chrome_elf.dll to change all kernel32 references to kernel33

Now I get "This application has failed to start because API-MS-Win-Core-RtlSupport-L-1-1-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Is there any hope? Can I hex edit my way to Iron 70, or is this a hopeless cause??? :(

Actually, I've got four copies of that DLL on my win2k system. Three of which are in the New Moon/Serpent binaries. So copy it from there (preferably the x64 binary) into your Iron folder and try. Also try running Dependency Walker to see what else you could need (it has an x64 version).

Edited by win32

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Actually, I've got four copies of that DLL on my win2k system. Three of which are in the New Moon/Serpent binaries. So copy it from there (preferably the x64 binary) into your Iron folder and try. Also try running Dependency Walker to see what else you could need (it has an x64 version).

Now I get

The procedure entry point TpSetPoolStackInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

21 hours ago, win32 said:

You could try wrapping your kernel33 and chrome files with a "ntdl1" from W7, but the likelihood of success at this point is about <0.1%.

How do I do this?

What really strikes me as odd is how there is this huge compatibility gap when Vista and W7 are the most similar Windows there could possibly be!

Just mindblowing. Although not dissimilar from the 2000/XP, though KernelEx mostly bridged that.

It's just another round of hex edits where all instances of "ntdll" in those files are replaced with "ntdl1".

Windows Vista with Platform Update and 7 RTM are very similar, but I guess that SP1 and W7's Platform Update (which adds many APIs from Windows 8) widened the gap.