Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

@Werewolf: In a March 24, 2017 post you were successfully using Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows Server 2008. Since MSE does not officially support any server, I wonder if any special installation procedures were necessary, such as compatibility mode and/or installing via command line with /disableoslimit flag? According to recent reports, MSE will continue to receive definition updates after January 14, so it might continue to be useful for fully-updated Server 2008 SP2.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:00 AM, Werewolf said:

Video & Photo Editing Software:
Hugin (FREE, OS, ONG) Download from SourceForge

Most sadly, the author no longer provides a 32-bit Windows installer, so Vista x86 users (like yours truly) are scr**ed :realmad: ; last 32-bit installer for Hugin is from two and a half years ago, for version 2017.0

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/hugin-2017.0/Hugin-2017.0-win32.msi/download

Merry Xmas to all (that observe it, since this is an international forum ;) )

:)

@Werewolf Thank you so much for the HUGE list of additions! Finally got around to adding them all. Glad to see you around again. I have you to thank for my list gaining popularity in early/mid 2017 thanks to the plethora of additions you provided then. Thanks again!

In addition to what Werewolf posted, I have added another piece of software called Ripcord to "Instant Messaging" section, after discovering it in a thread over at the XP forum here.

What makes this software unique is that it provides a fully functional Discord client for Windows Vista users, which I much prefer to using the Web version:

tpcMkIM.png

As you can see, this is based on QT, rather than the infamous Electron (which is like a cancer contributing to the sharp decline in software support for Windows XP/Vista since 2015 :angry:) which allows it to work flawlessly on Windows Vista. Voice Chatting also works great, for those wondering.

I can't seem to find any system requirements listed anywhere, but since it does not work on Windows XP (giving a "not a valid win32 application" error message, indicating the software was built targeting Windows NT 6.0 as the minimum) I will assume that it officially supports Windows Vista or later.

Also, Telegram Desktop 1.8.15 has been listed as the last version for Windows XP and Vista (1.9.0/1.9.1, both pre-releases, do not work due to missing DLL functions; the developer has stated here that it will not be fixed).

On 12/28/2019 at 5:55 AM, WinClient5270 said:

I have added another piece of software called Ripcord to "Instant Messaging" section
(snipped)
What makes this software unique is that it provides a fully functional Discord client for Windows Vista users

... But mere mortals running Vista SP2 32-bit are, once again :angry:, excluded from even trying to run that application on their Vista copy... 

but since it does not work on Windows XP (giving a "not a valid win32 application" error message,

If you had tried on (regular) Windows XP SP3 32-bit with lowering the subsystem version in the PE header to 5.1 (it's set to 6.0 by default), I guess a similar error, pertaining to win32 apps, is to be expected, as the application is NOT win32, compiled to be only runnable in the 64-bit architecture... :dubbio:

As you can see, this is based on QT,
(snipped)
 which allows it to work flawlessly on Windows Vista.

What I can see , based on your attached screengrab, is that the app was compiled using version 5.9.7 of the Qt Framework, which in itself provokes major surprise on yours truly... :dubbio:; I have always known, and that knowledge is based on official Qt documentation, that the last Vista-compatible version of the framework was 5.6 (5.6.3 to be exact!), and only on client machines 

https://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-5.6/supported-platforms.html

AJuFdFT.jpg

... whereas v5.9 of Qt has zero support for Vista (and, of course, XP):

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.9/supported-platforms.html

Vbl16mh.jpg

Any explanation as to how a Qt 5.9 built application is able to launch under Vista SP2 64-bit is highly welcome (if somebody can provide one ;) ) ...

I can't seem to find any system requirements listed anywhere,
(snipped)
the software was built targeting Windows NT 6.0 as the minimum) I will assume that it officially supports Windows Vista or later.

For official system requirements, see @win32 's post; so, your assumption is not correct, as Vista (64-bit only) isn't officially supported:( Given that the PE-header in the main executable is set at a subsys version of 6.0, at least our beloved OS was taken into consideration in that regard, but who can say which NT version the actual build-time compiler optimisations were targeting? As detailed above, I remain quite sceptical this is indeed running under Vista SP2 64-bit... :whistle:

OT: I hope you all had a great Xmas Day, surrounded by your loved ones; best wishes for the New Year, too! :cheerleader:

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

If you had tried on (regular) Windows XP SP3 32-bit with lowering the subsystem version in the PE header to 5.1 (it's set to 6.0 by default), I guess a similar error, pertaining to win32 apps, is to be expected, as the application is NOT win32, compiled to be only runnable in the 64-bit architecture... :dubbio:

What I can see , based on your attached screengrab, is that the app was compiled using version 5.9.7 of the Qt Framework, which in itself provokes major surprise on yours truly... :dubbio:; I have always known, and that knowledge is based on official Qt documentation, that the last Vista-compatible version of the framework was 5.6 (5.6.3 to be exact!), and only on client machines [...]

Any explanation as to how a Qt 5.9 built application is able to launch under Vista SP2 64-bit is highly welcome (if somebody can provide one ;) ) ...

For official system requirements, see @win32 's post; so, your assumption is not correct, as Vista (64-bit only) isn't officially supported:( Given that the PE-header in the main executable is set at a subsys version of 6.0, at least our beloved OS was taken into consideration in that regard, but who can say which NT version the actual build-time compiler optimisations were targeting? As detailed above, I remain quite sceptical this is indeed running under Vista SP2 64-bit... :whistle:

OT: I hope you all had a great Xmas Day, surrounded by your loved ones; best wishes for the New Year, too! :cheerleader:

The error that would appear when running x64 apps on XP and 2003 x86 would refer to the executable being "valid, but for a different type of machine".

Even if the odds are stacked up against Vista in this case, it is running under Vista x64 for me as well.

It appears they chose MSVC 2015/17 as their compiler, which are both still very capable of targetting everything down to XP, and used a subset of Vista-compatible functions provided by the Qt framework. It seems to be a relatively simple application, after all.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

The error that would appear when running x64 apps on XP and 2003 x86 would refer to the executable being "valid, but for a different type of machine".

Thanks for that! 

2 hours ago, win32 said:

Even if the odds are stacked up against Vista in this case, it is running under Vista x64 for me as well.

Thanks for that second confirmation :thumbup ; it isn't that I doubted @WinClient5270 's initial report (of course not! :)), just that I began questioning the validity of what I had learned via Qt's official documentation on supported Windows OSes...

2 hours ago, win32 said:

It appears they chose MSVC 2015/17 as their compiler, which are both still very capable of targetting everything down to XP, and used a subset of Vista-compatible functions provided by the Qt framework.

Added thanks for your attempt at explaining this (still considered by me as) oddity; FWIW, any (other) application built on Qt 5.7+ has more chances not running under Vista than the opposite... :dubbio: 

Festive greetings!

On 12/28/2019 at 3:44 AM, win32 said:

The minimum OS listed on its site (https://cancel.fm/ripcord/) is actually Windows 7. I have no way of confirming as I'm stuck with a Core Duo right now, but a change of PE subsystem could do the trick for XP x64.

I have already tested it on Windows XP x64, however I received the following error:

CfhXVQy.png

I then tried copying dwmapi.dll from Vista to XP, but then received this error:

tLkbWOB.png

It seems Ripcord heavily relies on APIs and DLLs only available in Windows Vista+. I'm just thankful that Vista works with it, albeit excluding the x86 version like @VistaLover pointed out.

Since Vista is so similar to Windows 7 API wise, it doesn't surprise me that QT 5.9 (and newer) applications can work on it. As long as the applications don't call for Windows 7+ functions, they will work in Vista just fine it seems.

Edited by WinClient5270

Like Ripcord, Telegram is also based on QT (except a slightly newer version, 5.12 vs Ripcord being based on 5.9).

Unfortunately, the latest stable version of Telegram Desktop released just a couple of days ago does not work in Windows Vista :( I receive the following error when attempting to run it:

AwBSPqI.png

For this reason, Telegram Desktop 1.8.15 will remain listed as the final version for Windows Vista (and XP, too).

Might I add, though, I don't expect that to be an issue, as of a few months ago (and probably still today), the earliest of windows builds of telegram still logged in and worked. Talk about backwards compatibility.

Edited by i430VX

On 11/18/2019 at 6:10 PM, VistaLover said:

While there's no doubt the ESET v12.2.30.0 range of products had been officially released on Oct 2nd 2019, as per @Vistapocalypse's link above, the second link of his only gives access to 64-bit builds (under the "Early Access" category, submitted on Sep 27th 2019 ;) ).

OTOH, the official ESET support site, when searched for older versions of ESET products,

https://support.eset.com/en/download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products

lists as latest v12 version the 12.2.23.0 one, where indeed an official download link for the 32-bit flavour is present:

[Screenshot omitted from quote for brevity]

The plot thickens by the fact the downloaded installers don't display a v12 file version, but a v10 one (!), e.g. file eav_nt32.exe from above link is of version 10.9.73.0 (a fine mess, if you ask me...); so, if anyone has official (/unofficial?) links to the 32-bit setups of ESET v12.2.30.0 products, do share! :P

A recent post in MSFN's Windows XP forum caused me to revisit https://support.eset.com/en/download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products.

It appears that the page was updated Dec 11, 2019, and now lists 12.1.34.0. :huh:  But just as VistaLover found 2 months ago, the downloaded installers are another product version: 12.2.30.0. :cheerleader:

1219667570_ESETNOD32Download.JPG.1a6b0d9eb0717db19cac60523ca54269.JPG

DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS (in case ESET updates the page again):

ESET Smart Security Premium 12.2.30.0:

x86: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/essp/windows/v12/latest/essp_nt32.exe  x64: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/essp/windows/v12/latest/essp_nt64.exe

ESET Internet Security 12.2.30.0:

x86: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/eis/windows/v12/latest/eis_nt32.exe  x64: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/eis/windows/v12/latest/eis_nt64.exe

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 12.2.30.0:

x86: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/eav/windows/v12/latest/eav_nt32.exe  x64: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/eav/windows/v12/latest/eav_nt64.exe

After still further reflection, I notice that the ESET "file version" noted by VistaLover on 11/18/2019 is actually the same as my screenshot above, in which the ESET "product version" is correct. :whistle:

Although ESET 13 does not support Vista, ESET 12 is still  entitled to some support according to ESET End of Life Policy, with expected EOL in Dec 2022 - i.e. further 12.x versions might be released [see Edit]. Since the download links above all contain /v12/latest/ they presumably would deliver a newer 12.x version in the event that one was released.

Edit: ESET subsequently revised their EOL policy at the link given above. ESET 12 is now considered EOL, and 12.2.30 was indeed the final version to support Vista. According to another ESET support article, SHA-2 support will be required by April 15, 2021.

Edited by Vistapocalypse
updated information

On 12/28/2019 at 6:55 AM, WinClient5270 said:

As you can see, this is based on QT, rather than the infamous Electron (which is like a cancer contributing to the sharp decline in software support for Windows XP/Vista since 2015 :angry:) which allows it to work flawlessly on Windows Vista. Voice Chatting also works great, for those wondering.

Wow, thank you. I confirm that Qt 5.9.x works on Vista. It's very strange because officially support it's broken after 5.6.x. Maybe it's not fully working (I read on some forums that 5.7.1 works on XP/Vista except QtWebEngine module), but 5.8 not worked at all. And after that I glad that in 5.9.x compatibility went back again. With this I have compiled Vista64-compatibly version of open-source's RPCS3 emulator. Build can be found here: rpcs3-v0.0.7-8965-f7ebc553 (VS2019+Qt 5.9.9). Official builds not working on Vista since versions 0.0.1.

Enjoy and have fun. :) But do not select in Settings "LLVM Recompiler" it not working on Vista.

1 hour ago, surunner said:

(I read on some forums that 5.7.1 works on XP/Vista except QtWebEngine module),

One such occurrence of an application compiled in Qt 5.7.1 but still working under XP/Vista x86 is

DB Browser for SQLite v3.11.2 :

9jdhohm.jpg

(As you said, the app doesn't seem to use the Qt5WebEngine.dll module... ;) )