Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

@WinFX, I confirm - it works. Thank you! To check it the useful program is AniView 1.5.3 - it requires .NET 4.8. https://github.com/CodeDead/AniView/releases
But I used the MSI installation method - on top of the already installed .NET 4.7.2. Now Vista has a fully functioning .NET stack :)

Advanced PortChecker 1.5 - https://github.com/CodeDead/Advanced-PortChecker/releases

DeadPix 1.2 - https://github.com/CodeDead/DeadPix/releases

Now they can be launched on Vista.

Edited by artomberus

On 12/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, artomberus said:

To check it the useful program is AniView 1.5.3 - it requires .NET 4.8. https://github.com/CodeDead/AniView/releases

Well, I know you posted that app as a test for correctly installed .NET FW 4.8, but that same app can be launched with only .NET FW 4.6.1 installed; just download the portable version, patch file AniView.exe.config (L8-L10) to read 

<startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1"/>
  </startup>

and voila:

ZsM1bQx.jpg

However, what doesn't work with .NET FW 4.6.1 is the "Check for updates" feature (and thus, I suspect, also the "Automatically check for updates" one...) :( :

Q4ihFQe.jpg

Can you confirm update checks work as intended with .NET FW 4.8 force-installed?

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Can you confirm update checks work as intended with .NET FW 4.8 force-installed?

Unfortunately this does not work. I get the same error as in the screenshot. But keep in mind that I have installed an update that adds TLS 1.1 and 1.2 for Vista. Perhaps it breaks something, and an older version of the secure connection will work (although this is unlikely). Also note that I installed .NET FW 4.8 using the MSI method, which is more simplified than the one recommended here. Perhaps it leads to an error. Although most likely, the fact is that the latest version of the .NET Framework was not tested for Vista and old network stack. This means 2 options: either all applications of the .NET 4.8 do not have access to the network, or the applications of the same author (AniView, DeadPix) are written in such a way that they work incorrectly under Vista.

I recommended these applications just because they do not run on a version of the .NET below 4.8 without additional modification. And if the application started, it means the Framework is working (at least the basic functionality - the applications start). And any incompatibilities are expected, due to the fact that none of the Microsoft developers tested such a bunch (Vista + .NET FW 4.8).

I would like to find .NET application (targeted at version 4.8) that tries to connect to the network through different types (versions) of encryption. Then it would become clear what limitations the .NET 4.8 has on Vista. Maybe the .NET Framework 4.8 is trying to connect via TLS 1.3? We need more testing...

Edited by artomberus

12 hours ago, artomberus said:

But keep in mind that I have installed an update that adds TLS 1.1 and 1.2 for Vista. Perhaps it breaks something, and an older version of the secure connection will work (although this is unlikely)

Same here; IMHO, I don't think that would be cause for any breakage... :dubbio:

12 hours ago, artomberus said:

or the applications of the same author (AniView, DeadPix) are written in such a way that they work incorrectly under Vista.

I checked AniView specifically: Update checks are made via the CodeDead.UpdateManager.dll file; in

https://github.com/CodeDead/AniView/commit/2e9cb99

it appears it is accessing the following URI:

https://codedead.com/Software/AniView/update.xml

That one correctly loads in Serpent 52.9.0 through TLS v1.2:

<Update>
 <MajorVersion>1</MajorVersion>
 <MinorVersion>5</MinorVersion>
 <BuildVersion>3</BuildVersion>
 <RevisionVersion>0</RevisionVersion>
 <UpdateUrl>https://codedead.com/Software/AniView/AV_setup.exe</UpdateUrl>
 <InfoUrl>https://codedead.com/?p=2217</InfoUrl>
 <UpdateInfo>
 Version 1.5.3 is now available! Please click the download button to download this version.
 </UpdateInfo>
</Update>

... but DOESN'T LOAD in IE9 (TLS v1.2 enabled) :angry:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=codedead.com&s=185.94.230.248&latest

shows that the server is configured to ONLY connect through TLS v1.2 with only 4 cipher suites:

TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc030)   ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA)   FS 	256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (0xc02f)   ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA)   FS 	128
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384 (0xc028)   ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA)   FS   WEAK 	256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 (0xc027)   ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA)   FS   WEAK 	128

... NONE of which are supported in IE9 :realmad: "CodeDead.UpdateManager.dll" loads system network+crypto resources to access that URI (dependency walker reveals it loads, among many others, crypt32.dll, wininet.dll, secure32.dll, cryptui.dll, ieui.dll, ncrypt.dll, bcrypt.dll), so it appears it can't establish the secure connection that way and aborts...

14 hours ago, artomberus said:

Maybe the .NET Framework 4.8 is trying to connect via TLS 1.3? We need more testing...

As per my analysis above. at least AniView.exe+CodeDead.UpdateManager.dll require just TLS v1.2; as for more testing, I'd be curious to know whether its "Update Check" feature works OK with .NET FW 4.8 on Win7+; if not, the developer should be made aware... :whistle:

Best regards :)

:( It is with sadness I have to report my favourite Bit Torrent client of close to 6 years now, qBittorrent, has dropped Vista (and probably XP) support! I was running the portable PAF version and just found out the hard way, after accepting a prompt to upgrade to the recently released new version 4.2.0:

ygeb0L3.jpg

Inspection of the main x86 executable with Dependency Walker reveals further missing function calls in Vista's system files:

in SHELL32.DLL
Shell_NotifyIconGetRect

in MFPLAT.DLL
MFCreateMFByteStreamOnStream

in USER32.DLL
ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx
CloseTouchInputHandle
GetTouchInputInfo
IsTouchWindow
RegisterTouchWindow
UnregisterTouchWindow

The application is compiled with the Qt Framework, last version of which to be compatible with Vista+XP is 5.6.x (I think 5.6.3 was the last release of the 5.6 branch); the app's code is open-source, published on GitHub:

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent

Browsing that repo, it becomes evident that the team of devs willingly moved past NT6.0 support, e.g.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/5d0d8a0b7b032ed6f850325921eddc2f7303d9a8
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/a4b9a4d9da9c9479eb1e63c8b8157aa4209c627c
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/7276a79cefe00f3e82fec8760ec876aa8a276df0
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/2f0ae7a7d8c53d8c1d1bee08d61e5dcb28cfd61b
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/3ab2fe907f9519a9a90e072576ba6cfbbd52857d
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/commit/74fc86e2ab2896bff9e90ab710b722027f2b9678

where the last commit dates from March 17th (!) 2019 and contains the changelog lines:

- WINDOWS: Drop support for < Windows 7
(snip)
- OTHER: Raise minimum Qt version to 5.9.0 (sledgehammer999)

Another reason I did not see that coming was the fact the pre-release alpha builds, v4.2.0alpha, had been available only in the x64 architecture (on their site: "For Windows, only the 64-bit build is available for the alpha release."), so I couldn't test them prior to the official 4.2.0 x86 release... :realmad:

Had I been more cautious, I could have
1. spotted, between the lengthy release notes of 4.2.0,

Tuesday December 3rd 2019 - qBittorrent v4.2.0 release

qBittorrent v4.2.0 was released.
There were no significant user facing changes since the previous RC release. The full v4.2.0 changelog follows.
(snip)
WINDOWS: Drop support for < Windows 7
(snip)
OTHER: Raise minimum Qt version to 5.9.0 (sledgehammer999)

and in the downloads page itself

Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Current stable version: qBittorrent v4.2.0

Library     Version
Qt            5.13.2

So, I guess I'm stuck at the last version of qbittorrent that's Vista SP2 compatible, which is v4.1.9.1

https://www.fosshub.com/qBittorrent-old.html?dwl=qbittorrent_4.1.9.1_setup.exe

https://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/files/qbittorrent-win32/qbittorrent-4.1.9.1/

Portable version, in PAF format:

https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a=qBittorrentPortable&n=qBittorrent Portable&s=s&p=&d=pa&f=qBittorrentPortable_4.1.9.1.paf.exe

Many years ago, I'd be using Shareaza (remember that?) as my P2P client, for both ed2k and bittorrent shares, but when emule went out of fashion, I switched to μTorrent for the BT network... But when that turned into a horrible adware :angry: , I gladly switched to qbt, which offers pretty much the same GUI (minus the adds...); plus, its Python powered search feature is not to be missed... ;)

Other BT clients I had also tried in the past, showing a preference to Tixati ; but I stayed with qbt :wub: ; I don't want to derail this thread, but should I be considering switching to another BT client for the duration I'm still on Vista SP2? What is your personal experience with the other choices?

Additional Microsoft software/utilities:
Administrative Template (.admx) files for Windows Vista (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 (FREE, CS). (ISO file; does not require to be mounted or run under Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 but it is the last version for NT 6.0.) Download from Microsoft

Autoruns (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) (FREE, CS). (Requires Windows Vista SP2.) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64

Microsoft Expression Web 4 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Microsoft Photo Story 3 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista SP1+ (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64)

Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64)

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 ($$$, CS)

Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64)

Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service 1.0.3 (FREE, CS). Download from Microsoft (Additional information here and here.)

Microsoft Windows Preview Handler Pack (Preview Handlers for AS, ASPX, BAT, CMD, CS, CSS, DIFF, JS, PATCH, RB, RHTML, RJS, SQL, and VB files) (FREE, CS) Download from CodePlex

MSDN Sample Preview Handlers (Preview Handlers for BIN, CSV, MSI, PDF, XAML, XML, XPS, and ZIP files) (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft (archived by the Wayback Machine)

Process Explorer (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Process Monitor (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Sysinternals Suite (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Windows Easy Transfer 7 (Windows Easy Transfer of Windows 7 for Windows Vista) (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64)

Windows Help (WinHelp32) for Windows Vista (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft: (x86) (x64)

Windows Speech Recognition Macros (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Windows SteadyState 2.5 (FREE, CS): (Supports the 32-bit version of Windows Vista editions only (also supports Windows XP)). Download from the Wayback Machine (Additional details) (Technical FAQ (PDF)) (Technical FAQ (XPS))

AntiVirus & Security Software:
Avast AntiTrack / AVG AntiTrack ($$$, CS, ONG). (Relies on an annual subscription-based business model.)

Dashlane (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free and paid plans available.) Download from vendor

Glarysoft Malware Hunter (FREE, CS, ONG). (Paid subscription version provides scheduled scan functionality and USB flash drive protection.)

HijackThis 2.0.4 (2.0.5 Beta is also supported) (FREE, OS). (Download for 2.04 from SourceForge) (Download for 2.05 Beta from SourceForge)

Kaspersky TDSSKiller (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor: (EXE) (ZIP)

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor

KeePass (FREE, OS, ONG)

Prey Anti-Theft (FREE, OS, ONG). (Free and paid plans available.)

VeraCrypt (FREE, OS, ONG)

Windows Live OneCare 2.5.2900.30 ($$$, CS). (Listed for reference purposes only; updates are no longer being provided.)

Audio & Music Creation/Editing Tools:
Exact Audio Copy (FREE, CS, ONG)

Fmedia (FREE, OS, ONG)

Generatosaur 1.0.0.2 (FREE, OS). (It has not been updated since 2008.) Download from vendor

MediaMonkey (FREE, CS, ONG). (The non-free MediaMonkey Gold offers additional features.)

Softpointer Tag&Rename ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

Wavosaur (FREE, OS, ONG)

Wavosaur Rec Recover (FREE, OS, ONG). (It has not been updated since 2011.) Download from vendor

XRECODE3 ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

Benchmarking and System Stress-Testing software:
Cinebench 15.038 (FREE, CS) Download from vendor (Wayback Machine)

BitTorrent/P2P Clients:
BitTorrent Sync 2.0.93 (FREE, CS) Download from FileHippo / BitTorrent Sync Pro 2.0.93 ($$$, CS). (Optional 30-day trial within the free version (also available to purchase from within the free version).)

Tixati (FREE, CS, ONG)

Bootable USB Flash Drive Creation Tools:
UNetbootin (FREE, OS, ONG)

Cloud Storage Clients:
Attachmore (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free accounts limited to 1GB monthly upload limits, 5 downloads per file, 15 day hosting per file, and 1 user / computer; paid options available.) Download from vendor

CloudMe Sync (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free accounts are limited to 3GB of storage and 150MB uploads; paid options available. (Strangely when viewed from Windows Vista the download page references version 1.10.3 for Windows XP—presumably this installer is for "legacy versions" of Windows—but the latest version, CloudMe Sync 1.11.6 not only installs and runs in Windows Vista without issue, but the former version even updated to it.)

SugarSync 3.8.0.15297 (FREE, CS, UNS)

Desktop Enhancement software:
Bing Desktop 1.3.478.0 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft (archived by the Wayback Machine)

CoolSoft PDF Property Extension (FREE, CS, ONG)

Ditto Clipboard Manager (FREE, OS, ONG). (A highly configurable clipboard manager that surpasses the clipboard history feature of Windows 10 (e.g., can export clipped content as a QR code and even supports clipboard sharing over a network via IP addresses and computer names).)

Icaros Shell Extensions 3.1.0 (3.1.1 Beta also supported) (FREE, CS) (Download for version 3.1.0 from Softpedia) (Download for Beta version 3.1.1 from Softpedia)

LightBulb (FREE, OS, UNS, ONG). (An open source f.lux alternative (portable version additionally available).)

Rainmeter 3.3.3 (FREE, OS) Download from vendor

RTT PDF-ShellTools ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.) (Notably includes a Property Handler for PDFs.) (By far my preferred PDF tool for the rich Windows Vista Shell.)

SageThumbs (FREE, OS, ONG)

Seer (FREE, CS, ONG). (MacOS Quick Look feature if one for some reason prefers that over the rich Preview Pane...) (The paid version provides automatic updates.)

Softpointer AudioShell (FREE, CS, ONG)

Sysinternals Desktops v2.0 (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Start++ 0.8.1 by Brandon Paddock (FREE, CS) Download from developer (Wayback Machine)

VoidTools Everything (FREE, CS, ONG)

Winaero Cursor Commander (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from developer

WindowBlinds 7.4 ($$$, CS) (30-day trial (without support for applying textures to themes other than Aero themes) at least formerly available.) Download from FileHorse

X-Mouse Controls (FREE, OS, ONG)

E-mail Clients:
eM Client 7.2.36694.0 (FREE, CS) Download from vendor / em Client Pro 7.2.36694.0 ($$$, CS)

Mailbird 2.6.1.0 (FREE, CS) / Mailbird Pro 2.6.1.0 ($$$, CS). (Last officially supported version as per vendor release notes.)

Pegasus Mail (FREE, CS, ONG)

Opera Mail 1.0.1044 (FREE, CS) Download from vendor

File Management:
Cryptomator 1.3.4 (FREE, OS) Download from vendor: (x86) (x64)

Explorer++ (FREE, OS, ONG). (The current version is 1.3.5; support for Windows Vista will likely be terminated following version 1.4.)

PowerArchiver ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

PowerArchiver Command Line ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

PowerArchiver for Office Add-ins (PAOP) ($$$, CS, ONG). ("[...] distributed under same license and evaluation period as PowerArchiver Professional.")

PowerArchiver Zip To Email ($$$, CS, ONG)

Tabbles (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free for personal use but with limitations; paid options available.)

TagSpaces 2.1.1 (FREE, OS)

Hard Drive Utilities:
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free (FREE, CS, ONG). (The free version can recover up to 2GB total.)

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional ($$$, CS, ONG). (An evaluation that allows users to scan for files—but not recover them—is available.)

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Technician ($$$, CS, ONG). (An evaluation that allows users to scan for files—but not recover them—is available.)

EaseUS Partition Master Free (FREE, CS, ONG)

EaseUS Partition Master Professional ($$$, CS, ONG). (The evaluation can queue operations but it cannot execute them; purchase is required for the latter feature.)

EaseUS Partition Master Enterprise ($$$, CS, ONG). (The evaluation can queue operations but it cannot execute them; purchase is required for the latter feature.)

EaseUS Todo Backup Free (FREE, CS, ONG)

EaseUS Todo Backup Home ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

Hardware Identification and Temperature Management:
HWiNFO (FREE, CS, ONG)

Instant Messaging/Internet Communication Software:
AdiIRC (FREE, CS, ONG)

DingTalk (FREE, CS, ONG)

IceChat (FREE, OS, ONG)

ICQ (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor

Irssi (FREE, OS, ONG)

Linphone (FREE, OS, ONG)

MicroSIP (FREE, OS, ONG)

Miranda NG (FREE, OS, ONG)

mIRC ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.) Download from vendor

Quassel IRC (FREE, OS, ONG)

qTox (FREE, OS, ONG). (It was not the desire to place the application in another category.)

Invoicing, Finance, and Business Management software:
GnuCash 2.6.21 (FREE, OS) Download from vendor

Money Manager EX (FREE, OS, ONG)

Language Translation software:
Rosetta Stone Language Learning ($$$, CS, UNS, ONG)

Rosetta Stone TOTALe ($$$, CS, ONG)

Miscellaneous.:
DOSBox (FREE, OS, ONG)

Evernote 6.7.6.7584 (FREE, CS). (There is also the Web version.) Download from vendor

Feem (FREE, CS, ONG). (Cable, hotspot, LAN, and even Wi-Fi Direct file sharing application compatible with Windows Vista!) (Can be used to transfer files between desktops, laptops, phones, and tablets.) (For devices without Feem, there is also the Feem WebShare service with both free (max 3 files shared at a time) and PRO options.)

GoToTags (FREE, CS, UNS, ONG). (NFC application for Windows Vista!) (Latest version is 3.5.0.1.) (Requires .NET Framework 4.6.2.) Download from vendor

RedNotebook (FREE, OS, ONG)

Send Anywhere 2.6.9 (FREE, CS). Download from vendor (Wayback Machine)

Scribus (FREE, OS, ONG)

Stellarium (FREE, OS, UNS, ONG)

Todoist (FREE, CS, ONG)

Winaero OneClickFirewall (FREE, CS) Download from vendor

WinHTTrack (FREE, OS, ONG)

Wunderlist 3.21.4 (FREE, CS) (Referenced download from FileHippo is version 3.19.7; follow the instructions here to resolve potential issues and update to the latest available version.) (There is also the Web version.) Download from FileHippo

Office Suites:
AbleWord (FREE, CS). (Update announcements have not occurred since 2015.)

Optical Disc Media Management software:
BurnAware Free (FREE, CS, ONG)

BurnAware Premium to BurnAware Professional ($$$, CS, ONG). (10-day evaluation available.)

CDBurnerXP (FREE, CS, ONG)

ImDisk Toolkit (FREE, OS, ONG)

PDF Viewers/Editors: 
CutePDF Professional ($$$, CS, ONG). (Trial available.)

CutePDF Writer (FREE, CS, ONG). ("Requires PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript (recommended)" (downloads are available at the referenced software link).)

doPDF (FREE, CS, ONG). (A printer for PDFs, allowing other applications to "print" (export) files as PDFs.)

RTT PDF Explorer ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

RTT PDFrizator (FREE, CS, ONG)

Wondershare PDFelement ($$$, CS, ONG). (A trial is available that is functionally analogous with the full version; however, the trial includes undesirable effects such as watermarks, as well as limited conversion capabilities.)

Phone Integration and Management software:
AirDroid (FREE, CS, ONG). (AirDroid Web is also available.)

Apowersoft Phone Manager 2.8.9 ($$$, CS). (An evaluation version with limited functionality is available. Superseded by the (also) non-free ApowerManager, which is incompatible with Windows Vista.) (The referenced installer is for version 2.8.4; the application updates to the latest version.) Download from FileHippo

FJ Software Development MyPhoneExplorer (FREE, CS, ONG)

Mobizen PC (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor

MTUX MyMobiler 0.9.8.2 for Android (FREE, CS) Download from vendor (Wayback Machine) (Portable (Wayback Machine))

MTUX MyMobiler 1.25 for Windows Mobile (FREE, CS) Download from vendor (Wayback Machine) (Portable (Wayback Machine))

Pushbullet (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor

Samsung SideSync 4.7.5.244 (FREE, CS). (The referenced installer is for version 4.7.5.203; the application updates to the latest version.Download from vendor

Unified Remote Server (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from vendor

Wondershare Dr. Fone ($$$, CS, ONG) (An evaluation version with potentially significant limitations is available.)

Wondershare MobileGo ($$$, CS, ONG) (15-day trial available.)

Wondershare MobileTrans ($$$, CS, ONG). (An evaluation version with potentially significant limitations (transfer of only 5 contacts; no restoration or transfer of social app data) is available.)

Remote Access:
PuTTY (FREE, OS, ONG)

Software/Game Development:
AutoHotkey (FREE, OS, ONG) Download from vendor

Geany 1.3.2 (FREE, OS) Download from vendor

Speech Recognition software:
Voice Finger (FREE, CS). (Full version and functionality require a purchase; it has not been updated since 2013.) Download from developer

System Management, Cleanup, and Analysis:
Atribune ATF Cleaner 3.0.0.2 (FREE, CS) Download from MajorGeeks

Avast Cleanup / AVG TuneUp ($$$, CS, ONG). (I would write that it is unsupported—Windows Vista is not listed among compatible operating systems—but the latest version executes, installs, and functions perfectly. Moreover, according to Avast's Priyanga Sekar the 2019 version is compatible with versions from Windows XP to Windows 10.) (Relies on an annual subscription-based business model.)

Chocolatey 0.9.9.8 (FREE, OS, UNS). (Windows Vista is not listed as compatible—and other versions of Windows also are not listed—but Windows Vista does meet the minimum listed requirements.)

EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free (FREE, CS, ONG)

EaseUS Todo PCTrans Professional to EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician ($$$, CS, ONG). (Trials available.)

EasyBCD (FREE, CS, ONG). (Registration is required to download from vendor; purchase is required for commercial use and for automatic updates.) Softpedia download

Inno Setup (FREE, OS, ONG)

Ketarin (FREE, OS, ONG)

KC Softwares BATExpert (FREE, CS, ONG)

KC Softwares HDDExpert (FREE, CS, ONG)

KC Softwares KCleaner (FREE, CS, ONG). (A PRO version with an automatic update feature and without the "thank you" nag screen is also available for purchase.)

KC Softwares RAMExpert (FREE, CS, ONG)

KC Softwares Startup Sentinel (FREE, CS, ONG)

WireShark 2.2.17 (FREE, CS). (Last officially supported version as indicated in the release notes.) Download from vendor: (x86) (x64)

Video & Photo Editing Software:
abcAVI Tag Editor 1.81 (FREE, CS) (Download)

AnnyStudio JPEG Lossless Rotator (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from developer: (Installer (EXE)) (Installer (ZIP)) (Portable ZIP (x86)) (Portable ZIP (x64))

AnnyStudio Just Color Picker (FREE, CS, ONG) Download from developer: (Portable EXE (x86)) (Portable EXE (x64)) (Portable ZIP (x64))

FastPictureViewer Pro ($$$, CS, ONG). (The current 1.9.3.60.0 version requires at least Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 (installation of the Platform Update is recommended).) (Axel Rietschin Software Developments has indicated that version 2.0—currently in alpha development phase—ultimately will not support Windows Vista (the current alpha reportedly does not).)

FastStone Capture ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

FastStone MaxView ($$$, CS, ONG). (30-day trial available.)

FastStone Image Viewer (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free for non-commercial use; license is required for commercial use.)

FastStone Photo Resizer (FREE, CS, ONG). (Free for non-commercial use; license is required for commercial use.)

Imagine (FREE, CS, ONG)

Inkscape 0.92.3 (FREE, OS) Download from vendor: (7Z (x86)) (EXE (x86)) (MSI (x86)) (Portable (x86)) (7Z (x64)) (EXE (x64)) (MSI (x64))

KC Softwares PhotoToFilm (FREE, CS, ONG). (A PRO version with enhanced customer support and without nag screens is also available for purchase.)

KC Softwares VideoInspector (FREE, CS, ONG)

Wondershare DVD Creator ($$$, CS, ONG). (An evaluation version is available. There is no functional difference between the full version and the evaluation version, but a watermark will be added to the output video in the evaluation version.)

Wondershare UniConverter ($$$, CS, ONG). (An evaluation version with potentially significant limitations is available.)

XnConvert (FREE, CS, ONG)

XnRetro (FREE, CS, ONG)

XnSketch (FREE, CS, ONG)

XnView Classic (FREE, CS)

XnView MP (FREE, CS, UNS, ONG)

Zoner Photo Studio 17 Free (FREE, CS) (Download from vendor) / Zoner Photo Studio 17 PRO ($$$, CS)

Web Browsers:
Mozilla Firefox based:

Cliqz 1.12.1 [Mar. 2017] (FREE, OS) Download from vendor (Wayback Machine) (The installer is for 1.11.0; it updates to the latest available version.) (Until version 1.18.0—incompatible with Windows Vista—there was no x64 version of Cliqz, which is why only an x86 version is listed.)

Web Browser Plug-ins:
Final versions of Add-ons/Plug-ins for Firefox 52 ESR:
ScreenGrab (fix version) 0.99.12 (Download (Wayback Machine))

uBlock Origin 1.17.4 (Download)

Window Management software:
Ave's Thumbnail Sizer (FREE, OS) Download from developer

Ave's Vista Folder Background (FREE, CS) Download from developer

QuizoApps QTTabBar 1.2.2.1 (FREE, CS) Download from vendor

Edited by Werewolf
Edits for consistency. Removed HTTPS Everywhere as the most recently released version supports Firefox 52 ESR.

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Latest version 2019.11.7 is still compatible with FxESR 52.9.x; I have it installed in the FxESR52 derived Tor Browser v7.5.6 :

zeurxwo.jpg

Huge thanks for your efforts! :cheerleader:

I apologize. When that version was added to the draft it had been before the release of 2019.11.7 (and there naturally was no later inclination to search for additional compatible versions before publishing the information as the latest version after 2019.6.4 was already incompatible). You have my gratitude.

201964.thumb.png.0f4b791a813210ff1428bac916c80cf4.png

8 hours ago, Werewolf said:

as the latest version after 2019.6.4 was already incompatible

That would be v2019.6.27 ; actually, AMO, again :angry: , made a big blunder there and marked the extension as Firefox 60.0+ compatible; but if you manually download the .XPI file

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/3060290/https_everywhere-2019.6.27-an+fx.xpi

and manually install it in FirefoxESR 52.9.x (drag-n-drop it in about:addons), you'll find it's still compatible:

uIEHcaZ.jpg

8 hours ago, Werewolf said:

I apologize

Nothing to apologise for... ;)  Simply another case of being misled by the wreck that Mozilla and AMO have now become... :realmad:

Edited by VistaLover

On 12/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, VistaLover said:

That would be v2019.6.27 ; actually, AMO, again :angry: , made a big blunder there and marked the extension as Firefox 60.0+ compatible; but if you manually download the .XPI file

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/3060290/https_everywhere-2019.6.27-an+fx.xpi

and manually install it in FirefoxESR 52.9.x (drag-n-drop it in about:addons), you'll find it's still compatible:

Nothing to apologise for... ;)  Simply another case of being misled by the wreck that Mozilla and AMO have now become... :realmad:

I am sure you understand why I would write that it was incompatible seeing as it was listed as such. Thank you again for your assistance, especially in such thorough replies.

AntiVirus & Security Software:
Avast Driver Updater / AVG Driver Updater ($$$, CS, ONG, UNS). (Relies on an annual subscription-based business model.) (I am not sure if you desire this but it is being listed also for the sake of completion.)

Content Consumption Software:
Songbird (FREE, OS). (Associated online services were discontinued in 2013.) Download from vendor

Zune (FREE, CS) Download from Microsoft

Misc:
LightScribe System Software 1.18.27.10 (FREE, CS)

Video & Photo Editing Software:
Hugin (FREE, OS, ONG) Download from SourceForge

VirtualDub (FREE, OS, ONG)

VPN Clients:
AVG Secure VPN 1.6.667 ($$$, CS) (Relies on an annual subscription-based business model.)