Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Apple once threatened to cut off Windows XP and Vista from the iTunes Store on May 25, 2018...but that obviously did not happen.

However on May 30, 2018, a thread was started at Apple Support Community by someone running Vista: Can't Sign Into iTunes Account (Error Code: 0x80090302). The issue at that time seemed to affect any iTunes version that wasn't up to date, regardless of OS - but the issue mysteriously went away later that day.

The current issue with signing in at the iTunes Store discussed at  itunes login and authorization error and elsewhere does indeed resemble the May 30, 2018 incident I mentioned above: Many older versions of iTunes (perhaps all) are affected, but the problem can be solved by updating to the latest version - which you cannot do if you are running Vista. :angry: I wonder if @i430VX has noticed this issue?

On 10/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Welcome back Osman Kovan. :hello: I can confirm that issue, but I'm not yet certain it is strictly a Vista/XP issue. There is a thread at Apple Support Community, itunes login and authorization error.

Apple once threatened to cut off Windows XP and Vista from the iTunes Store on May 25, 2018 (scroll down to If you can't access the iTunes Store on your device at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208104), but that obviously did not happen. There was once an inordinate amount of discussion in this very thread, but most of it was lost due to an MSFN server crash in June 2018. This is mentioned at https://msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/?do=findComment&comment=1150847 and a few later posts.

I can access iTunes on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, macOS High Sierra and macOS Sierra (These macOS' on my normal PC, not another Mac PC. I just "hackintosh"ed my PC.). I think this is the end or my iTunes installation just corrupted.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:34 AM, Osman Kovan said:

I can access iTunes on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7.... I think this is the end or my iTunes installation just corrupted.

It looks like the oldest version of iTunes for Windows that is fully supported by the iTunes Store is now 12.6.5 (see can't authorize my computer error -50 and error 0x80090302), which of course does not support any OS older than Windows 7. :angry: So yes, I also think this is the end for Vista and XP: iTunes for Windows is now just bloated playback software. I'm keeping my installation anyway, but recommend VLC 3.0.8.

I can confirm the issues with iTunes Store when attempting to sign in; I get the same errors described in this post. :( However I can still view the contents of the Store, but that's pretty much useless since I can't purchase/download anything. I have updated the list to reflect this new information:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Apple Software & Hardware Support (all software is FREECS) :

iTunes 12.1.3.6 : Download from Apple: Vista 32-bit  Vista 64-bit
Limitations/issues:

As always, thanks so much to everyone for the additions to the list while I've been away, and sorry for taking so long to finally get around to updating it. With that said, here's the Summary of Changes this time:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 24, 2019:

• Added Viber 6.8.2.878 as last version for Vista to "Instant Messaging" section.
  • Updated Autodesk 3dsmax 2012, Autodesk Maya 2012, & Autodesk Mudbox 2012 to their 2016 versions as last unofficially supported versions for Vista in "2D/3D Modeling software" section.
  • Updated Blender to UNS status.
  • Added VMware Tools 10.3.10 as last version for Vista to "Virtualization software" section.
  • Added calibre 3.48 as last version for Vista to "File Management" section.
  • Updated information about iTunes Store: While you still may access the store, signing in no longer works.
  • Added OpenGL Extensions Viewer to "Hardware Identification & Temperature Management" section.
  • Updated information about GTA V in "Games" -> "Active Development" section: Now requires a workaround for new versions as of Sept. 2019.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:41 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

It looks like the oldest version of iTunes for Windows that is fully supported by the iTunes Store is now 12.6.5 (see can't authorize my computer error -50 and error 0x80090302), which of course does not support any OS older than Windows 7. :angry: So yes, I also think this is the end for Vista and XP: iTunes for Windows is now just bloated playback software. I'm keeping my installation anyway, but recommend VLC 3.0.8.

Probably just API updates and stuff which makes it unable to contect to the servers correctly

On 6/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

NextPVR 5 is now in public beta, but does not support Vista. :( There is not yet any need for a legacy download link because the current stable version 4.2.4 does support Vista, and the developer has not ruled out further 4.x versions.

NextPVR 4.2.5 was released last month. There was still no pronouncement that this was the final 4.x version, and NextPVR 5 (incompatible with Vista) is still in public beta.

I'm currently still using Windows Media Center with TV Pack 2008 as DVR, but Microsoft is retiring its Electronic Program Guide service in January 2020.

ESET Windows home products version 13.0.22 have been released last month and support for Vista has officially been dropped:

Changelog:

• Changed: supported operating systems: Windows 7 SP1 and newer

System Requirements for Windows ESET home products were last updated on November 10:

Version 13

Windows 10, 8.x, 7 SP1 (with latest Windows updates), Home Server 2011 (64-bit).

I do not use ESET myself, but believe the final 12.x version was 12.2.23.0.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

but believe the final 12.x version was 12.2.23.0.

... Unfortunately, it doesn't look like v12.2.23.0 installers are still available on the official site (truth be told, I did not search exhaustively... ;) ); some third party sites may host them, though...

While there's no doubt the ESET v12.2.30.0 range of products had been officially released on Oct 2nd 2019, as per @Vistapocalypse's link above, the second link of his only gives access to 64-bit builds (under the "Early Access" category, submitted on Sep 27th 2019 ;) ).

OTOH, the official ESET support site, when searched for older versions of ESET products,

https://support.eset.com/en/download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products

lists as latest v12 version the 12.2.23.0 one, where indeed an official download link for the 32-bit flavour is present:

yCcSUEC.jpg

E.g. the direct link for the Antivirus product is

The plot thickens by the fact the downloaded installers don't display a v12 file version, but a v10 one (!), e.g. file eav_nt32.exe from above link is of version 10.9.73.0 (a fine mess, if you ask me...); so, if anyone has official (/unofficial?) links to the 32-bit setups of ESET v12.2.30.0 products, do share! :P

ESET's website is almost as aggravating as Comodo's website. As I mentioned in my May 6 post, ESET's early warning of end of support for Vista was buried in an article about the  Windows 10 May 2019 update.

As for Comodo, I mentioned in my September 14 post that CIS no longer supports Vista or XP, but the list at the beginning of this thread still does not reflect that. More recently, there has been a Notice of Comodo Cloud Antivirus discontinuation.

• 2 weeks later...